outfitting new characters

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Misa on August 11th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Also, while some "martial-art" type weapons such as a Katana and Naginata are listed along with a small number of others, these types of weapons are not commonly found in Mizahar because that particular "real-world" culture that these weapons sprouted from, does not exist. The occurrence of some of these types of weapons evolved from specific smiths who crafted their own style throughout history; styles of which never really caught on in mainstream weaponsmithing.

Never available "off-the-rack", a katana is custom-forged for the would-be owner. It is a single-edged blade with a slight curve and elaborately carved handle.
Does this imply that a brand new character cannot have a katana at the beginning of play? Even if s/he is willing to give up all their starting gold (100gm + 500gm for giving up housing) or pay for the customization ( such as 100gm for base, plus an ornate handle and/or having the blade made from a different material) to purchase the sword?

Besides the katana, can you basically (and within reason) give your brand spanking new character any weapon or piece of equipment (including magic gear, poisons & animals) if you have the money to buy it? (Other than the clothing, I'm mainly asking this question for future reference. I have no intent on equipping this character with a variety of poisons or a pack of dogs :p )

Can the oufit from your Starting Package be made of the finer or finest (silk) materials? Or should the character buy them as extra clothing?

Any advice for newb players when outfitting their character from Storytellers and Players alike would be most appreciated. :D
If these questions have been addressed elsewhere then I sincerely apologize for my asking them yet again. Just give me the link(s) and tell me to hush. :embarrassed:
Misa
Player

Words: 1609
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Race: Human

Postby Gossamer on August 11th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Basically if you can justify having it with a background story or its within reasonable means, then you can have it. WE make the exceptions being magic items and artifacts, which are a definite no at start.

Otherwise, outfitting your PC is at your perspective. Starting clothing is simple leather or cotton, nothing fancy or expensive like silk etc. Be reasonable and no one will give you any problems.

I do call folks who have say pet panthers and ask them how they are making a wild animal a pet. If you have something like a hawk and no falconry that's also a big no no too. But remember, your animals need to be of the skill you can handle them.. so like a hawk at 5 points in falconry isn't acceptable either since the writeup says you couldn't handle them.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Misa on August 11th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Thank you, Gossamer, for taking the time to answer my questions. You were most helpful. :D

Misa
Player

Words: 1609
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Race: Human