Younger characters?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Younger characters?

Postby Kietis on June 13th, 2010, 1:38 am

Sorry if this is completely off or not-- I'm still in lots-of-information-to-digest-not-enough-brain-room-aaaaaugh mode.
After reading the article on the Inarta a few times, all the while considering my character's personality and such, I decided that I'd rather my character be a child. At first, I thought nothing of it, but after looking through the character sheets of a few other members, I couldn't find a character that wasn't at least fifteen years old (in human years, I suppose). Is it allowed for me to create a character as a child?

If it is allowed, how would you suggest I go about altering her skill points, etc.?

(Aaaafuffuu-- again, really sorry if I'm missing a completely obvious answer *isanoob*)
Kietis
Player

Words: 11479
Joined roleplay: June 13th, 2010, 12:38 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Younger characters?

Postby Gossamer on June 13th, 2010, 2:28 am

Sure, you can play a child.

There's no reason why there shouldn't be child PCs. And in fact there have been several including child-like pcs with less than intelligent personalities.

Think of it this way... if a kid wants food, doesn't want to be abused by a dek in Inarta society, or has a motivating factor for actually rising into something other than dek/commoner caste.. they get smart quick. They get skilled. They learn to use knives, have larceny skills, and maybe hang out with their parents (if they are still alive) to learn the skills their parents have.

I'd say go for it.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Younger characters?

Postby Kietis on June 19th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Thank you so much for answering! c:

I have a few more questions for anybody who's willing to answer. They're still regarding my younger character, so I thought it would be better not to create an entirely new thread about it. (All of the questions will be referring to the Inarta. Just a heads up.)

1) As for the 'youth section' that 8-15 year olds live in... is it an entire area of the city that the children live in with some adult supervision, or is it more similar to a large orphanage?

2) Are children given their eagles at afe 8 or 15 (or any other age-- these two are mentioned most often, so I'm assuming it is at one of these two times)

Thank you so much to anyone that reads or answers my questions! c:
Kietis
Player

Character sheet

Younger characters?

Postby Gossamer on June 19th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Its a section of the Darvina Commonrooms just designated for youth. It's communal living, but not like barracks... rather more freeform and a lot like a rambling clubhouse divided by age groups. There's adult supervision.

Children are never given eagles. Eagles pick people themselves, usually those around 16-18 or older. Children can however have access to falcons, magpies, and birds of other sorts and are expected to train in this artform. The birds can live with them as pets. They are encouraged to seek out wild birds or eggs too in order to capture and tame for their falconry.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Younger characters?

Postby Kietis on June 19th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Thank you very much (again)! c: I really appreciate your help.
Kietis
Player

Character sheet