Origin vs Race

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Origin vs Race

Postby Vitalos Umbreffigia on June 25th, 2010, 3:14 am

A basic question: if a human is born among a sub-race, but raised elsewhere, will he or she inherit the traits of a normal human or the sub-race?

In other words, if Jim is born in Cyphrus, but raised for the majority of his life in Syliras, will Jim have the ten points in riding or the fifteen of the writer's choice?

More than likely an unnecessary question; I imagine it is predicated entirely on an individual's back story and what makes sense, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live."

Queens of the Stone Age
Vitalos Umbreffigia
Player

Words: 18787
Joined roleplay: June 6th, 2010, 7:17 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Origin vs Race

Postby Gossamer on June 25th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Okay, here's the official deal.

If you buy into a culture, regardless of how you were raised - you get that cultural bonus. Culture gives you, at times, a huge rp advantage for survival and privileges to locations you would normally not have. The sea of grass and the Drykas are one of the biggest examples I can think of. If you aren't Drykas and go there - odds are you are toast. Totally. So, regardless of where you start or how you were raised you MUST take your cultural racial bonuses rather than just Human bonuses the +15. Think of it this way.. you're purchasing a culture for sacrificing 5 skill points - regardless if you use it or not.

Being just a plain human can be a disadvantage - you are basically starting out as an average joe. They have no 'cultueral heritage or homebases' and are vulnerable in a lot of places... that's why we give them the +15 to anything. There are certain 'cultures' that also get a plus 15, though that was not my doing as a Founder. All the cultures I created give a +10 because their location is their advantage. Everything plain humans enjoy boils down to being - built recently and just forming. I imagine, in another five hundred years, Syliran will be a human culture. :) Right now, it just speaks of lack of bloodlines and a hodgepodge of racial mixes.

Hope that clears things up.

Goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)