A few questions about mixed Symenestra/Humans

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Novus on June 26th, 2013, 3:11 am

Apologies if these have been asked and answered previously. I did a search and didn't find any exact information on these points, but I might have overlooked it.

1. If mixed blood Sym/human venom is less potent then that of a full Sym, would it take them longer to "predigest" their food? Also, how does this injection of venom into the food and then the break down work? Is it like bite the food with fangs, inject venom, set food aside for several hours, come back and "drink" slushy mushy food?
2. Related to above, if a mixed blood Sym/human were to bite someone, what would be the effect? Just illness, or maybe just a sore spot? Are they unable to kill with their venom? And are their fangs as long and as sharp? Are their nails/talons basically the same as a full blood?
3. Presumably, such mixed blood Syms can reproduce, without any problems? With each successive generation of more and more dilute Sym genes, do the fangs and claws and venom disappear?
4. If the venom is "harvested" is there a shelf life to it? And can it be used to coat other items to make them "poisonous" (like those South American frogs whose secreted poison is rubbed on arrow tips)?

Thanks!
Novus
a more gentle poison

Words: 59489
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 4:12 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Poison on June 26th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Hello!

I’m the DS of Kalinor, and I also play a Symenestra, so I think I can help.

1) Halfbloods cannot eat solid food, and as their venom is very weak, they cannot liquify it properly either. They mostly have to rely on soft fruit, vegetables and the occasional cup of blood to survive.

2) Probably not much. A halfblood is not able to kill anybody with their venom. A bite will be slightly unpleasant at best. Their fangs aren’t as sharp as a Symenestra‘s, and neither are their claws.

3) They can reproduce, yes. And eventually all Symenestra traits would disappear if they kept reproducing with humans.

4) Nobody’s ever tried to harvest Symenestra venom before, so I don’t know if it has a shelf life or not. It could probably be used on weapons, although I’m not sure how dangerous an arrow with Symenestra venom on it would be. Unless the Symenestra who donated the venom has gone without food for a couple of days, the venom is not lethal. I think the potential of Symenestra venom as a weapon is something that would be best researched in character. :)

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Words: 432701
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2011, 7:28 pm
Race: Staff account
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Mirage on June 26th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Hey all!! I saw this and thought I would come here and add my 2 cents :)

Now the shelf life of Sym venom HAS come up before in chat, and on that day Bina happened to be there as well and she said that for Sym venom the shelf life is about as long as normal spider venom. She did not say what kind of spider, or if the conditions of the shelf life mattered (Hot, cold, room temp, ect). I am no where near the supreme authority on this, so don't quote me ^.^

Good luck!!

Question your Reality,
Mirage
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Novus on June 26th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Thank you both for your replies. That's very helpful, and intriguing... :)
Novus
a more gentle poison

Words: 59489
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 4:12 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet