The Lifespan of a Dire Kelvic?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Draven on July 9th, 2013, 11:43 am

Kouri and I got into a discussion recently, about the lifespan of Dire Kelvics:

We both met Ama, a syliran NPC, who is a Dire Wolf Kelvic. Ama is 13 years old and hence VERY old in wolf years ( contradicting sources claim the average lifespan of a wolf to be either 6 or 13 years old, so anyways she's old for a normal wolf).
Then again, she's a DIRE wolf, and now Kouri and I are wondering if this would have any effect on her aging... specifically in Human Form!

Thank you ;)
Draven
Player

Words: 27806
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2013, 4:08 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on July 9th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Hi Folks-

In the wild, wolves rarely live longer than say six to twelve years. In captivity though, they can live upwards of 16-20 years. I live next to a famous Wolf Haven here in Washington State and they have all sorts of fun facts about wolves. The truth is, the easier the life, the longer they live and they can often far eclipse most dog species for longevity in captivity.

I think a kelvic would be even better at surviving longer given the circumstances and if they are living among people with good medical care and nutrition and not out in the wild on their own. I think bonding to someone who is also young and healthy helps a great deal with kelvics.

Thirteen is definitely towards the end of life, not the beginning, but its definitely not the ultra oldest kelvic wolf alive either. Size really has nothing to do with it. In some breeds of dogs, the bigger you are (say Great Danes) the shorter your lifespan and the smaller you are, the longer your lifespan. But that's just in general and not a cold hard firm rule for all kelvics.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Draven on July 9th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Thanks, Goss, another debate settled ;)
Draven
Player

Words: 27806
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2013, 4:08 pm
Race: Ghost