The Akvatari and the seal part of them.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Tebrist on July 29th, 2013, 10:48 am

You know, the seal thing. Waist-down, it's a bunch of seal. How would they cover that up? Would they need to?

I was sort of thinking, if necessary, a big - um...tail-sock? - with a drawstring around the top, or just keeping it uncovered. They apparently withstand very cold temperatures, so covering it up would be purely social obligation, if they're held to the same standards as the legged folk.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I know it says on the wiki page that there's really no difference in status between male and female Akvatari, but I'm assuming that applies only among Akvatari. If they were in, for some reason, an Inarta-dominated place, the same rules probably wouldn't apply.
A cocoon hangs over a secret water's edge in her head
The water reflects tells a story without one of its own
Some stories joyful, some wretched, some stories sharp, some soft
Flowing together, the ripples stripping them of smoke and mirrors.

Inside the cocoon, a slug grows, hungry for the stories beneath
A lazy moth is taking shape, draped in ghostly hues
Her wings unfurl.
Tebrist
Sad butterseal is sad everywhere.

Words: 3244
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2013, 1:58 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet

Postby Lullaby on August 11th, 2013, 6:54 am

I think the butterfly wings would be a dead give-away, if you are trying to hide the race itself.

Though, if you're just trying to hide the seal part (though I can't imagine an Akvatari ashamed of their seal part) a dress might even do it. If an Akvatari walked (flew?) into a place where there is difference in gender roles (which, to note, there isn't in Wind Reach and the Inarta, the caste rules apply there), I cannot see why covering up their tail would really apply to anything? Unless, that was just a secondary question.

Covering up an Akvatari's tail seems fruitless, seeing as everyone would know what race they are and what would be underneath from just the wings and the fact they rarely walk seeing as they prefer to fly over land.

Just my thoughts. Hope this helped!

~ Lullaby

Lullaby
Sweet song, sweet dreams

Words: 104298
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2013, 4:01 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Tebrist on August 13th, 2013, 9:19 am

It's not at all about disguising the race itself - as you said, that's really impossible. It's more a matter of drinking tea with your pinky out. Politeness.

It says on their page that the Akvatari can be bred with humans and similar races, losing their wings and keeping the seal tail in the first generation, losing both in the second generation.

Because of this, I'm imagining that the baby-making parts would be located somewhere below the waist, and most likely clearly visible in flight. Would this be viewed as taboo?

A part of me is thinking that the Akvatari would have a cloaca for both genders and that would be perfectly safe and discreet. Is this the case, do you think?

I'm very sorry if this is in any way inappropriate. There's really nothing I can say to defend myself.
A cocoon hangs over a secret water's edge in her head
The water reflects tells a story without one of its own
Some stories joyful, some wretched, some stories sharp, some soft
Flowing together, the ripples stripping them of smoke and mirrors.

Inside the cocoon, a slug grows, hungry for the stories beneath
A lazy moth is taking shape, draped in ghostly hues
Her wings unfurl.
Tebrist
Sad butterseal is sad everywhere.

Words: 3244
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2013, 1:58 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet

Postby Lullaby on August 14th, 2013, 3:48 am

I see what you mean. Though this is not an exactly ... well ... I guess "PG-13" would describe it well, question, I do understand the concern you have. Whatever a seal has, would be the answer, I assume. I have never seen an Akvatari walk around with coverings on their bottom half, so I assume nothing is visible. Then again, I really don't know the race very well, and am only giving my best guess. Sorry I couldn't be much help!

Lullaby
Sweet song, sweet dreams

Words: 104298
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2013, 4:01 pm
Race: Staff account
Office