Writing a book In character

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby John Griffin on August 1st, 2010, 2:27 pm

If a PC wanted to write a book, what would that entail?

Would it simply need an appropriate amount of time alloted, with some RP of the writing, maybe some thoughts about the subject, and a handful of excerpts?

Or would they need several pages of actual text? Or more?

Thought about having John start writing a book, but I figured it best to find out exactly what was needed.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Words: 100281
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 5:42 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Gossamer on August 1st, 2010, 3:38 pm

I think if your pc wanted to write a book thats fine. You'd need a good topic, some skill at writing, materials, time... and several excerpts if not the whole book. I think writing your book is great IC.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Malia on August 2nd, 2010, 1:21 pm

I've thought about how writing fiction in Mizahar would work for a while ... Maybe we should split the skill up into writing and creative writing? The wiki article says writing is

the skill of recoding information on paper in use of book making or forms of documents.

To me that doesn't sound like it includes writing fiction (which I'm thinking about). Writing fiction means so much more than simply recording information on paper. Developing a storyline and threedimensional characters is important too. Perhaps even a new setting if someone wants to play the "IC Tolkien of Mizahar". Is that included in storytelling? Should we simply expand the article about writing and make it more precise? Or maybe we should add a new skill along the lines of "creative writing" or "story-weaving"?

What do you think?
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on August 2nd, 2010, 2:08 pm

Just a thought: remember that unless we have printing presses, books are going to be difficult to copy and expensive. And with the severely reduced population, the pool of readers has decreased significantly.

That said, creativity wouldn't have ceased... but I think it's good to think about these things, too.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)