Malediction Glyphing Transfer

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Morvale Barrows on November 13th, 2013, 1:58 pm

So a few weeks ago I heard something interesting about using glyphs to store items, and I had to ask a question. Malediction as we know it uses the bones or body parts of the deceased, it creates a legacy item that indeed has magical properties that can be stored in a glyph.

So now with that thought in mind, if it an item like this can be stored within an a glyph should it not be capable of being altered by the glyphs ability to alter magic? In a sense turning an item into a spell that can be shaped and formed by the glyph? Although eerily similar this would not be considered Mage craft, it is not the combination of one magic item into another rather the transfer of Djed from the maledicted trinket into a mundane item.

An example

You have a maledicted bone placed into a glyphs focus where it is absorbed, through some combinations of switches the item no longer solid as its no longer there it's Djed source is funneled into a mundane object say a necklace that's connected through the pattern. And then through the culmination of Mage Craft techniques the Djed source is stored within the object thereby enchanting the mundane object. Similar to make craft, however not so much as the Djed source is not created merely transferred from the reagent.

Not the same way as trying to take a Mage crafted sword and a maledicted bone handle.
Merely the transfer of a already existing Djed source into a mundane object.
Morvale Barrows
Quick On The Draw

Words: 53187
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2013, 4:39 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Slenta on November 13th, 2013, 3:18 pm

I'm not an expert on the subject, but without a Maledictor's writing/carving, which would be lost upon being stored in a glyph, the item would become a wild card in terms of magic and may blow up in your face. I also hear that most forms of magic don't agree with one-another, so there is that as well.

It would be interesting if you could indeed combine glyphing and malediction by replacing malediction commands with glyphing commands, but it would defeat the concept that Malediction has in place. The magic itself is also innately tied to the body part, as well.

Someone else may be able to give further knowledge on the subject.
Slenta
Retired Staff

Words: 21345
Joined roleplay: November 9th, 2013, 11:28 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Morvale Barrows on November 13th, 2013, 4:55 pm

I was also curious about that, for example when you glyph an item into a focus and then move it within a glyph to another focus does that item stay intact? Like glyphing this item to one end of a room to another.
But the thing with that assumption is a mundane item from my knowledge cannot be stored within a glyph, therefor the maledicted item would still contain it's legacy circle.
It's a matter if the binary coding of its essence is damaged in a transfer, the danger is not inheritently the destruction of the maledicted item as when they do break nothing happens the item ceases to exist. It's in the ejection of non magical shrapnel in mid transfer. Or in a foolish attempt to try and compound effects into the item, traditional Mage Craft is limitless based upon resources this however is limited to what that item is because it's Djed source is already preconceived.

For me I almost think that techniques like this is where Malediction split Into Magecraft

It's not about replacing the Malediction circle on the object it's about funneling the items entirety as Djed, it's almost like animation it's almost like Mage craft it's a curiosity to me.
Morvale Barrows
Quick On The Draw

Words: 53187
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2013, 4:39 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet