Calling all Zith

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Calling all Zith

Postby Tyne Brightcrest on March 5th, 2014, 3:10 am

Hello Mizaharians, Skymane is a brand new developing Zith character. Although there is an extensive and extremely helpful wealth of lore about the Zith, there is an aspect I could not necessarily find a complete answer to in the lore page or Gillar's informative videos. Perhaps it is because I am new and everyone else considers it common sense or it has merely not been explored yet.

Do the Zith hunt with weapons, or just their own claws? Are the more civil Zith more prone to using weapons because they are more assimilated to other cultures? If so, would Zith look down on a kinsman who uses a bow to hunt?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Tyne Brightcrest
A life of Splendor.

Words: 10283
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 2:54 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Calling all Zith

Postby Zuriel on March 5th, 2014, 7:30 pm

So far we have all sort of fallen into our own hunting styles, I think this is more of a colony-based thing than anything else. Zith are well equipped with natural weapons and so don't seem to go out of their way to learn other things. (But this may be more of a player mentality thing than a zith one, zith can be very curious and very focused, making it easy to rationalise them learning something new)

I don't think "generally" they would look down on another zith using a weapon, though you may find such things change on a colony-colony basis. A bow is a different again as you might find your hunting party is wary of you hitting them with your weaponry (zith are highly social and like to hunt in groups, also most of us have been shot at and are quite wary of arrows)

Also group hunts can get quite competitive and getting a clear shot on something could be nigh impossible with other zith all over it.

This all being said my zith has been chained up a while and is forced to hunt by himself, and spent a large part of his life captive to humans. So though he hunts in the traditional sense (not particularly well), he tends to carry a spear and prefer dropping out of the sky and ambush stabbing things to more reliably get food.

I think you'll find that xy zith (the most "civilised" zith) are still not really assimilated to other cultures, they just have a buttload of slaves and they see some trade going on.

Zith without colonies often attempt to replace them with non-zith societies, these characters will try very hard to fit in and it wouldn't be surprising to find one using/doing things generally considered to be "not very zithy"

Basically, Its easy to rationalise a zith using a bow and I dont think many zith will seriously look down on you for it (though some might think you incapable), but you may find it hard to find hunting buddies.
- Z
"Common Speech"
"Zith Speech"
"Thoughts"
Zuriel
Player

Words: 31566
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2013, 2:35 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Calling all Zith

Postby Rend on March 6th, 2014, 12:37 am

From what I've read of the Zith I get a very very competitive and individualistic mindset from them. Each Zith will likely do whatever they think works best. Those who are the best hunters and fighters (regardless of what methods they employ) would be respected, or at least feared, by other Zith who are then much more likely to learn how to fight there way. They are also very curious and as such if they saw someone using a tool or weapon they may become intrigued and want to learn it too, then start using it. If it works well there wouldn't be a reason to abandon it and others are more likely to take on the same method.

So short answer: If they've seen a weapon used and it worked well they might give it a go, if it works well they'd likely keep it. But I don't see them really coming up with new methods and weapons on there own.

Hope my ideas are useful and not too off the mark.

-Rend
Memories in 0040FF
Thoughts in 8000BF
Speech in FF0040
Rend
Player

Words: 17420
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2014, 7:51 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Calling all Zith

Postby Tyne Brightcrest on March 6th, 2014, 4:46 am

Thank you both for your responses. I was going to implement his inquisitive nature into the acquisition of the skill, and you both have provided more foundation on top of Gillar's explanations to build my character off of.

Hopefully after I get him in order I will be able to write some prose with you.
Tyne Brightcrest
A life of Splendor.

Words: 10283
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 2:54 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes