Mizahar & Time

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Mizahar & Time

Postby Anouk on March 8th, 2015, 8:26 pm

Hey everyone!

So, I have a question regarding Mizahar's technological knowledge of time. As far as I understand, bells are equivalent to hours, chimes = minutes, ticks = seconds.

But what how does the average citizen of Mizahar keep track of time? Are there watches, or clocks? If so, would they use the same format as RL analogue clocks (e.g. 12 hours/bells), or would it be separated into 24 figures as there's no such thing as AM/PM in Miz?

Or... Is it all done by estimation and judging by the sun?

I only ask because I've recently written a thread that included my PC estimating how late someone was to a meeting, and then it struck me that there may be no actual 'proper' way of knowing what time it is.

Thanks! :)

Anouk
The Seer of Desire

Words: 75552
Joined roleplay: February 20th, 2015, 11:10 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Mizahar & Time

Postby Gossamer on March 8th, 2015, 8:39 pm

The way I do it in Riverfall is that there are timekeepers that ring the bells on the hour. They calibrate on sunny days via any number of instruments at high noon. Then from there they use hourglasses to tick away the bells. Once empty, the bell is rang, glass flipped. They can't calibrate every day, but they can everytime its sunny and if they can get a reading on a sundial or a whole host of other instruments that measure time.

So folks in the city would hear the bells to know what time it is day or night.

:)

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)