New Feature A New Lost Discipline: Pathfinding

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

A New Lost Discipline: Pathfinding

Postby Azmere on December 27th, 2015, 1:53 pm

I was reading up on relic monsters and wondered if pathfinding would allow one to detect the presence of these phenomena? Given what the lore says of the skill, it seems logical that an expert level mage would have no problem being aware of something in the area. Obviously, as the article states, other skills would be needed as well as the appropriate lores. Would a pc having a competent skill be aware of something "off" when confronted with a Qamur?
Attn: GradersObservation is maxed. Thank you for all your hard work.

where do you go when you don't know who you are?
Azmere
Seeker of the Lost

Words: 754081
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 27th, 2015, 7:31 pm

That seems logical. :)
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Yisanareysin on December 29th, 2015, 1:38 am

Can you overgive with pathfinding? If yes, what effects would it have? How much would you have to overexert to overgive?
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 29th, 2015, 4:42 am

Yes.

Blindness. Both temp and permanent. Bleeding from the eyes in very mild cases.

That would be based on level and context.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Balian Martell on December 29th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Would you be able to use maldiction to somehow extract the ability from the bones of a pathfinder?

Say for example, you dig up the bones of a known pathfinder and you create a set of goggles out of the eye sockets and attempt to call forth the pathfinding magic through the maldiction circles. In theory would it be possible to achieve the same effect, along with any other effects such an attempt would create?
To hunt, you need to know your prey just as well as you know yourself
a
Balians Wilderness Journal
Balian Martell
The young hunter

Words: 113544
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2013, 2:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on December 29th, 2015, 6:08 pm

No. That would not work.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on December 31st, 2015, 4:22 pm

I just wanted to leave a brief note here.

I'm getting a lot of requests for Pathfinding in the Help Desk. That's fantastic and I hope to approve everyone who wants to learn the new magic. However, there's been about half a dozen people who have placed very complex, interesting, unique, and really stimulating plots in the HD and gotten approved.

Then we've gotten a huge amount of "Can I have approval for Pathfinding?" which of course get automatic denials. I ask them to come back with an actual plot.

As of right now the Help Desk is totally caught up and yesterday and today I got a rash of really really bad requests for scenarios that were just yawnfests. I shouldn't put it that way, but this is a fantasty game and if all you can come up with is trading fresh meat to a Pathfinding animal that's starving in exchange for learning Pathfinding or having some badass impossible to justify animal that should never have pathfinding to begin with approach you to teach you because your so cool.... there's something wrong and you aren't getting approved.

I'm doing HD requests on this one for a while (a season or so) in order for the Trailblazer like pcs to set the bar high and give us something cool to read when we aren't writing ourselves. Writing should challenge you! Writing should give you breathtaking opportunities to push your PCs higher and torture them more and have stories to tell your PC's grandkids later in life about how batpoo crazy you PC was 'back in the day'.

Don't give me a yawnfest. You'll get the denied. I'm not doing this to be an ass, I'm doing this so that you stretch and work and get an opportunity to test your writing machismo.

We have one more new Lost Discipline coming out really soon - probably just after New Years so this weekend or next. It's been on my docket to write, but Gillar is tackling it because hes better at the darker more horror film appropriate stuff than I am. So this is a test of sorts. This won't be the last of the new stuff either. We'll roll them out on a regular basis as much as we can.

SHOW US SOME LOVE for taking the time to write these (they aren't easy) by putting in some effort to come up with scenarios we want to read as our rewards. If you can't do that, you don't deserve new and special stuff. That's just the way I feel.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Previous