How does forum roleplaying work ?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Adralaa on June 25th, 2016, 4:39 am

Hello!
I'm new here, and I don't know how it works. I have no experience with roleplaying (I know about tabletop roleplay but I have never actually played).
In the help I could find information about lore and advice about role-playing in general but not about the specifics of forum roleplaying :

• What's the mechanic? In tabletop roleplay, there are dice rolls to determine whether an action is successful or not. How does that work here?
  • Are there rules for starting threads or joining a thread (in what circumstances is it justified to do it) ?
  • Apparently my account represents one character, does that mean I can only play one character at a time? What happens if my character dies or changes name/race (by becoming a ghost for example) ?

Thank you for your answers!
Adralaa
Player

Words: 266
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2016, 7:46 pm
Race: Akvatari

Postby Dove Brown on June 25th, 2016, 11:54 am

1. Mechanics
What you can do is limited by how good you are at a skill. Take Cooking as an example, and scroll to the bottom of the page. You will see descriptions of how well a person can cook at each level of skill. You as writer get to decide how well your character succeeds, but playing above your skill level results in no points when your thread is graded.

2. Threads
You need a character sheet before you can play. Once that is done, you can start a thread if your character is in that location/city at the time the thread is dated. The current season and year are on the Home page. You can join threads in your character's location if they are labelled "Open" or ask to join if they are labelled "PM to join".

3. One account = one character. You can have up to five accounts active at once, and therefore five characters. Your characters are not allowed to be in thesame place or to interact with each other. You can continue to play after name change or race change. If you don't want to play your current character and you have over 50 posts on the account, you can have it retired and create another account in its place.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Adralaa on June 25th, 2016, 12:04 pm

OK, thank you !
Adralaa
Player

Words: 266
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2016, 7:46 pm
Race: Akvatari