New to the forum and have some questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby ShieldWarrior on May 23rd, 2017, 9:05 pm

I have a character concept in mind that I'd like to be able to explore but I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to use it or not. I looked through race and skills and found bits and pieces of what I'd like to do but not all. So, without further ado the character concept:

I'd like my character to use shields just as much for offense as for defense. The way I picture him is a hawk, or falcon, on right shoulder with his left arm holding a large shield. On his right arm from wrist to elbow would be a bracer, or small protective shield typically worn by archers.

The inarta looked appealing to me and I believe I would like to become one. That was simple enough. Skills were a bit more tricky but it looks like falconry, fishing, brawling, and two different shield skills?

Not sure if this is feasible or not. Look forward to "hearing" what you all have to say.
ShieldWarrior
Player

Words: 330
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2017, 8:33 pm
Race: Human, Inarta

Postby Gossamer on May 23rd, 2017, 11:28 pm

Well, for one thing there's two different types of shield on Mizahar.

There's Shielding - which is a magic.

Then there's Shield - Which is a skill.

You can be a falconer and use a shield but I doubt the bird will stay on your arm in a battle.. and the way falconry works is that to hunt with a falcon or have one you need a certain level in falconry.

Shield the skill I don't believe has a writeup yet so you can do whatever is reasonable in that or perhaps even volunteer to write up shielding as a skill based on other skills. I'm not sure how the breakdown (meaning how many skill points you'd need in it to do what you want etc) would work, but you can guestimate until a writeup is in place.

You can be an Inarta. No worries there. Wind Reach however is closed until we find a Storyteller for it. So you'd have to be one of these people outside of their proud home.

You'd also need to pick a better name. We don't allow titles for names or names that are say famous people from books, history, etc. I'm assuming Shieldwarrior is just a working account name for the moment.

Anything else we can help with?
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)