Impossible to post!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Impossible to post!

Postby Reihn on December 18th, 2009, 9:15 pm

I just tried to post my character sheet, but this incredibly buggy text window is impossible to use once u get a couple hundred words in it. Not only is this text box all glitchy and slow when you're typing and trying to make a post, but it jumps up and down and does all sorts of crazy stuff when you fill up the screen (and it scrolls downward).

I used Microsoft Word to do up my character sheet, and then copied and pasted into this buggy text window, but when I tried to insert bold and italics into my nearly finished sheet, the chat window jumped around so much it was impossible!

Am I the only one with this issue? How do you fix this annoying problem?
Reihn
Scholar at Heart

Words: 6366
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2009, 11:22 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Re: Impossible to post!

Postby Stitch on December 18th, 2009, 9:41 pm

I have this problem too, I have just made do, really. I mentioned it once or twice, but no one else seemed to be suffering from it, and I had no idea how to describe it. But yeah, I have this exact problem too. If you need, Tarot, I might can get a video of it.

Reihn, what web browser do you use, and what operating system does your computer run?

I am on IE8, and run Vista.
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Reihn on December 18th, 2009, 9:59 pm

I just use Intenet Explorer. Windows XP.

I figured out what I can do. I can just put in all the coding and everything into Word before I copy and paste it into the text box.

Maybe I'll have to try using Firefox and see if that will fix it.
Last edited by Reihn on December 18th, 2009, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reihn
Scholar at Heart

Character sheet

Postby Tarot on December 18th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Okay, I'll try to fix this (and it's a section of code I haven't even tampered with, so it's not my fault for once ;) ). I don't have easy access to IE, but I'll see what I can do. Meanwhile, I suggest applying bbcode manually, which could even be faster than the button.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 18th, 2009, 10:09 pm

Do you two have this problem every time? I know I saw the mess Stitch ended up with when he tired to post his CS, but truthfully in all the posts (and there are thousands) this is the first time I've seen it... Reihn is the second time (in so many days) I've heard of this.

Reihn, while you wait for Tarot to chase this down, why don't you do what Stitch and I did to get his CS sheet posted? Post yourself a character sheet thread with just something like... 'testing' in it... then edit it and slowly put your stuff in like Tarot suggested, manually. Just do a little at a time.

I totally believe that your having problems. Though truthfully if I hadn't seen the mess that was Stitch's post, I probably would have been like 'dude, its on your end!'. Anyhow.. even if you have to just get me on AIM and send me the word doc with it in there, we can get it up. It's probably an error in the bbc code.

Tarot - I'm totally totally sorry I deleted that goobered up page of stitches so you couldn't see it too... you'd probably have a really good idea of what was happening otherwise. I'll never erase the evidence again!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Stitch on December 18th, 2009, 10:15 pm

With the post Goss is talking about, take the bottom half of her post, and move it to the top of this page, over where the topic was started. Only take the darker shade of her box, along with the lower half of her post, her signature, and completely move it to the top. It looked like a different layer too, like it was on top of the actual page.

I have no idea if me describing this has helped at all. >>'

But yes, it happens almost every time to me. I can remember only one time it didn't happen, but only that one time.

Also, when I go to a topic, it instantly jumps me down to the Quick Reply box. If I go to another page, once again, instantly jumps me down. Seems to be related.
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Reihn on December 18th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Yep, I get the glitchy mess everytime I try to make a post. It even happens in the quick reply window.

If it helps, the crazy glitchiness and delayed keystrokes do not occur when I send a private message.

Thnx. I can just do all the coding in word.

Yes! I always instantly get popped down to the quick reply box as well!
Reihn
Scholar at Heart

Character sheet

Postby Tarot on December 21st, 2009, 11:01 am

I think I've fixed this mysterious IE bug. Let me know if this works for you now (be sure to empty your cache if it doesn't at first). The scrolling to the last post is still unresolved to me and probably a javascript thing with text areas going into focus. Please bear with me a little longer!
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Reihn on December 22nd, 2009, 5:49 am

Wow, yep.

Tarot, now the text window does not go all crazy glitchy on me when there's 200+ words in the post.

Thanks a bunch for looking into the issue for me (and Stitch)!!

*thumbs up*
Reihn
Scholar at Heart

Character sheet