How do you pick a Setting and Theme?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Nivex on January 22nd, 2011, 9:29 pm

I always have a problem figuring out them both. It's always something as simple as a bar, but that can get tiring and boring after a while. How do you brainstorm a theme and setting?
Last edited by Nivex on January 22nd, 2011, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nivex
Not cool.

Words: 26519
Joined roleplay: January 17th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook

How o you pick a Setting and Theme?

Postby Gossamer on January 22nd, 2011, 9:44 pm

Setting: It was already something I'd had laying around for a while since college, oh about ten years prior or so. Post Apocalyptic is always interesting, but I think its far more interesting to play with a virtually clean slate - where the world has recovered a little, rather than all kinds of nasty environmental things to deal with as well as simple survival.

Theme: I think the theme means something different to everyone. I like to think its humanity (and others') ability to triumph over disaster and survive against the odds. But again, I'm sure to everyone else the theme varies.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Nivex on January 23rd, 2011, 4:18 am

I think it's pretty cool how the story came about. A lot better than I could even think of. But how do you come up with a theme of an RP? Like, if you're on a thread on here, and you're trying to start up a good story? When making a thread, I always get stumped.
Nivex
Not cool.

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Gossamer on January 23rd, 2011, 5:16 am

That's a really good question, Nivex. I think its something different for everyone. I know when I decide to thread, its because my character has a need. Training, socialization, a question answered, etc. There's all sorts of reasons to do a thread. Sometimes, I just go into chat and someone says 'Hey.. I need your PC for this.. can we do a thread?" It really helps to get to know people, and luckily here on Mizahar they aren't cliqueish like you might think. Groups in certain areas might be prone to say their city or domain is the best... aka Endrykas Rules... all non Drykas suck! Or... 'Get out! Wind Reach is the best...' or 'Syliras all the way. Everyone's here!'. But no matter where you pick, someone will take you into their fold and you won't have an opportunity to say no to threads. It will probably get to the point you have too many to respond too.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gromhir on January 23rd, 2011, 10:48 am

Alot of it can revolve around your back story as well. If you make it detailed enough, you make story arcs and themes that go off that. If you want to make a thread, you have to think about what it would mean to your character. What would your character get out of it? Just to reinforce Goss' point really.
The world can make you think that everything matters. But all that really matters is that the sun rises and you enjoy what you're given.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Words: 90232
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Donor (1)

Postby Nivex on January 24th, 2011, 2:36 am

Those are really good ways to think about it, and will help me out in the future. Even now I'm reluctant to post a thread because I just don't know how to start it out.

Thanks!
Nivex
Not cool.

Character sheet
Scrapbook