Maledicting Methods

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Maledicting Methods

Postby Chijana on August 8th, 2011, 3:45 am

It says in the wiki that Maledictors can use drawings instead of writing in their circles. I was wondering, is it the accuracy and detail of the drawing that effects the product, or the thought behind the drawing? Because otherwise different drawing styles and materials would have a huge affect on quality even though it said that drawing works just as well as writing, which wouldn't have the same disadvantages.
Tawna, Common, Shiber
Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Chijana
Ghosts of the past can be stubborn indeed.

Words: 13886
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2011, 3:21 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet

Maledicting Methods

Postby Tiki on August 10th, 2011, 5:13 pm

http://www.mizahar.com/lore/Malediction reference...

Malediction does not use writing at all actually... If you check back you'll notice the methods listed include drawing, carving, etching, painting, etc. which all relates to the medium of the object you wish to empower.
Furthermore, accuracy is everything in malediction. You're not drawing objects, but rather circles, so the form of the circles and whatever other links they have to them should be as accurate as possible or the maledictor-if you will- risks minor catastrophe.

Advantages of drawing and painting might be accuracy of form as it is easier to draw on a circle, maybe fix a mistake, as opposed to actually changing the medium as with carving and such. However, by adding on you also risk the removal of the ink or what have you and thereby destruction of the object's abilities. Carving has the advantage of permanence in the long run.

Regardless of how perfect you’re drawing or etching is in form and detail, there's still no solid guarantee that the maledicted object will do as you please. :P

I suggest you check back with the wiki section about circles, because it get really goofy there. Remember that's the goal, circles that bring out the inner power of the object and magnify it...or curse it...and that drawing and painting, with the rest, are simply means of creating those circles depending on the medium you work with.

I hope this helped. Feel free to drop into chat for further question. xD
Tiki
The Curious Cat Kelvic

Words: 273835
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2011, 12:32 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Maledicting Methods

Postby Chijana on August 10th, 2011, 11:50 pm

The bit about accuracy helped, though I am certain writing is involved in Maledicting sometimes, not as a skill, but the story of the body part, written with the proper tone is usually what's placed inside the circles that channel the djed. So I was just wondering how switching to drawing would effect that because it might be difficult to be as specific if you're drawing something instead of writing its story. Thank you Tiki! The second part about accuracy really did clear a bit up. :D
Tawna, Common, Shiber
Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Chijana
Ghosts of the past can be stubborn indeed.

Words: 13886
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2011, 3:21 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet