Calling all equestrians.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Calling all equestrians.

Postby Fela Meason on September 1st, 2011, 4:13 pm

Ok, I am a lover of animals but have sad to say never ridden a horse. (Much like my poor character...) I've been reading guides to try to get enough understanding to bumble through the post I need to but sadly I'm lost. If some of your great people out there could give me some basics or some links you may have saved that will help out a beginner like myself I would be so full of thanks! Mostly I need some sort of break down of the riding gear needed and what each piece does.

Thanks in advanced.
This is Fela talking, This is Fela thinking, This is text, and This is someone else talking.
Fela Meason
Silly little cat

Words: 149056
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2011, 3:31 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Calling all equestrians.

Postby Bolden Denusk on September 1st, 2011, 4:19 pm

Let's see quick and off the top of my head:

saddle--tied on the horse with a girth that adjusts for size like a belt. Stirrups, also adjustable for your leg length. reins, single or double if you like--single is best for beginner. the top of a saddle is called the tree--it supports your weight and will crack or break if not kept clean and dry. When you first strap the girth, leave it loose because the horse will blow--hold out their stomach to make it bigger. Then as you adjust the stirrups he'll settle and you can readjust the girth. make sure you can fit your fingers in between the girth and the horse's belly comfortably snug.

type of saddle, western is heavier but good for tying things too like saddle bags and such with a horn to loop the reins to. Hold your reins in one hand, looped between the thumb and forefinger, while you grasp them.

bridle--cheekstraps, self explanatory. the bit slides over the tongue into the special groove in a horse's mouth. when someone says a horse is 'champing at the bit' and stuff it means that he's trying to get his tongue out from the bit to get control of his head.

when adjusting stirrups, measure from your shoulder to your fingers to decided how long they should be adjusted--that's how much room your foot and leg (from knee to ankle) needs.

Oh and saddle pad or blanket beneath the saddle or the horse will get something called saddle sores. picture over hundred weight of leather on your sweaty back for at least an hour! yea. ouchies!

and feet--no hoof no horse! shoes are good, make sure that each morning and night that you pick the crud out from your horse's feet! They do something called 'pick up stones' and that's because they have a neat cupped U shape that invites small sharp things to fit inside that small area and bruise the inside of the hoof. While the outer wall of the hoof is like your own nails, the inside has a soft cushion called a frog that absorbs impact. If it stays damp and/or dirty for too long it will literally rot! keep those feet clean!

You horse will understand either leg aids (pressing a knee to the ribs or shifting your weight, or verbal commands as well, like "walk on."

If you're on the left, you've got it right! To mount the horse, always do so from the horse's left side. Left foot in the stirrup, left hand grasping the horn with the reins, boost up like a short hop and your right leg will swing up and over the horse's back, slide your foot into the other stirrup as well. place the ball of your foot in the stirrup. don't go more forward or back--otherwise you'll get caught in a quick turn or such and break or hurt your ankle and/or foot! keep your back straight, shoulders back and elbows in. keep your hands and arms down, you're not a conductor!

*smacks forehead* ah dismounting! You can choose one of two ways depending on your own style. My preference: take your feet from the stirrups, swing your right leg over--gently-- both legs near each other and slide down the horse to the ground with a slight drop landing on both feet. works great for short people like me. for taller people, i've noticed they like to keep the left foot in the stirrup, swing over the right leg and literally step down from the saddle.

The left--this is called the near side. the right side of the horse is called the off side. this also refers to all equipment on the horse and the horse itself. if a horse is injured on the off fore, this means the front right leg. So if I say the horse has a white marking on the near hind then that means.....yep left back.

*thinks* ummm any questions?
Last edited by Bolden Denusk on September 1st, 2011, 5:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Words: 196002
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Calling all equestrians.

Postby Fela Meason on September 1st, 2011, 4:33 pm

You my friend are made of awesome. thank you for any info you have!
This is Fela talking, This is Fela thinking, This is text, and This is someone else talking.
Fela Meason
Silly little cat

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Calling all equestrians.

Postby Bolden Denusk on September 1st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Any time! you have only to ask! I'll get some more tea. do you have any questions? Canali and Gossamer understand horses beautifully and once they see this topic, they'll most likely hop in with lots of great stuff!
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Words: 196002
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Calling all equestrians.

Postby Fela Meason on September 1st, 2011, 6:12 pm

Bolden Denusk wrote:
*thinks* ummm any questions?

Not yet...*still processing all of this* O.o

I'm sure I will have some shortly though! lol
Fela Meason
Silly little cat

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)