Weapons Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Weapons Questions

Postby Slime on December 1st, 2011, 10:56 am

Just how firm are the weapons list? What I mean by this question is, if a weapon is not listed is it unavailable or can you simply go with price of the weapon closest to it?

Let's say that that I'd like to use a Khanda for a character. Looking through, I can see that it isn't listed in the Price List. Examining it, I find that the Khanda is a medium sized, one-handed, double-edge, cleaving-type sword. Well, that's fairly unique but the Longsword is the "vanilla" sword and is also double edged, one-handed and medium sized. Should I wait for the Khanda to be added or can I go on the assumption of 15 GM for a Khanda (the price of a longsword)?

Or say I want a Bardiche. Long blade on the end of a pole so... Glaive? Battle-Axe, maybe? The Naginata is a type of Glaive and yet it's on there as a specific form.

Likewise we have Tulwars, Cutlasses and Scimitars which are all types of Sabres but are there in these specific forms.

Would a Goedendag be a club, halfspear, mace, some type of strange dagger?

Speaking of daggers we have a variety of very specific forms of daggers and knives then the "vanilla" dagger and knife. Why not add the Pugio, the Cinquedea, the Rondel, the Seax, the Pesh Kabz, the Jambiya, or the Tanto? Are they just under "Dagger"?

A Kopis is similar to both a Falcata and the Kukri.

The Spatha. Just a long gladius or a longsword proper?

I could go on and on and on with this.

This second way (Matching the price of unique weapon with the closest thing on the price list) would allow the use of unique weapons without bloating the price list with every small type of difference between middle age and renaissance weapons. We did this on the site that I admin'd before coming here. Let's say a character wanted to use a cast-iron skillet as an improvised weapon; instead of coming up with totally unique, carefully-balanced stats for the skillet we counted it as a simple club and just added penalties for weight (Which would be added or subtracted GMs for example).

My confusion primarily stems because there seems to be some very specific types of weapons on the price list and then some are very broad and plain.

Does any of this matter? Probably not. I've likely thought about this too hard (blame the coffee, homework-I-should-be-doing, sleep-I-should-be-having and the pain meds) but this is the forum for questions and I'm hoping for an answer.

Footnote: Forgive, forgive, forgive the very liberal use of Wikipedia as a reference. Not very scientific but it was handy and the information that I read was actually very accurate based on my experience and education.
Slime
The Poor Bastard

Words: 15463
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2011, 2:06 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Weapons Questions

Postby Tajhan on December 2nd, 2011, 12:21 am

I know I am only a newbie but some more exotic weapons would be great. I noticed katanas but these days they are kinda cliched. Some of the examples above are much more interesting, though it would make sense to link them to certain cultures who developed different combat styles and weapons to reflect that.
Tajhan
Player

Words: 864
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Race: Human, Mixed

Weapons Questions

Postby Gossamer on December 2nd, 2011, 1:56 am

We cant possibly list all known weapons on the price list. Its a general guide. You can weild any weapon you want within reason.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Weapons Questions

Postby Slime on December 2nd, 2011, 2:41 am

I realized that it would be pointless to include every weapon anyone could ever want and that's why I wanted to ask and make sure.Thank you for the answer, as always it's much appreciated.

Blessed Be,
~Slime~
Slime
The Poor Bastard

Words: 15463
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2011, 2:06 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets