Familiary Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Familiary Questions

Postby Xalet on January 11th, 2012, 2:03 am

No, Xalet is not taking up magic.

I read through a bunch of the previous Familiary questions, and I have 2 in particular.

1. If someone did a thread involving contacting a familiar, and then speaking with/interviewing/interacting/having a dialog with said familiar only to find out that familiar did not jive with them, and thus refusing a contract, would they gain Familiary experience?

2. Are the two Familiars that are not fully completed able to be utilized?

That's all, thanks.
Xalet
The answer is more Body Building.

Words: 539431
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Familiary Questions

Postby Mirage on January 17th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Hey Xalet, maybe I can shed a little bit of light on your situation, but I am afraid I only know a great deal over the first question.

For your number one, how will Xalet summon a familiar? It states in the wiki that the familiars are tricky, powerful and deceitful creatures, and thus summoning them is very difficult. There are few wizards that attempt this on a regular basis, and if your character has no magical skills in the field of summoning I do not believe he should even attempt such a dangerous thing. Now, if your character is having someone ELSE with a high lvl of summoning do it for him then I see no problem with it. Now, onto your question. Does interacting with a summoned creature give you Familiar points? In my opinion no, and that is due to 2 things. 1) the creature did NOT become your familiar, and 2) your character did not actually interact with a FAMILIAR but with a summoned being. Now someone else may feel differently, but it was my understanding that for any player to gain familiar points they must first OBTAIN a familiar. That is my take on the subject, but of course a founder's opinion trumps mine lol

As for number 2, I am lead to believe that one could possibly use the 2 unfinished familiars, however I am not sure how accurately one could RP them with out a working wiki on them. There is no rule that I can find that prohibits their use, but I am not sure if it is advisable or not.

Hope this helps :)

Mirage
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Familiary Questions

Postby Xalet on January 17th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Xalet is never going to summon a familiar, he doesn't get involved in magic. It's for an alt of mine.

I had forgotten about this question, but I did have it answered. I decided that I wasn't going to get involved with the unwritten familiars, so I didn't get clarification on that, but familiary can indeed be gained through failure to bond as per founder response. Obviously a person isn't going to get to Master this way, but it's good to know that taking the effort to Roleplay out the failures that people often face in getting just the right familiar is rewarded.

Also the obtainment of a familiar is basically always done by another wizard with Familiary, because they need to open the gate, have their familiar find one that is suitable, and then the go-between (the familiary that sought out a familiar for the second mage) has to prepare the contract.
Xalet
The answer is more Body Building.

Words: 539431
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Familiary Questions

Postby Mirage on January 17th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Ah well there you go. Awesome thank you for filling me in on the latest update Xalet. Never know when it will come up again. Let me know how the alt works out :)
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)