Summoning

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Summoning

Postby Marcus Delamurr on March 18th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Prepare to have questions thrown at you for I have many.

1) One of the common worlds for Summoners is Fyrden. The creatures there are required to absorb djed from a master which makes them good familiars for otherwise they can't survive. Can summoners summon these creatures for, as far as I am aware no Djed is shard within summoning? Or do they require certain glyphs and such like. Such as storing Djed within a glyph and then having the summoned creature leeching off of that.

2) Possession. Is it possible? If so what kind of parameters are necessary and does it require another type of magic such as glyphing.

3) If possession is possible, is it possible for the summoner to have himself possessed if his will can hold the creature's will at bay, therefore giving him access to part of the creature's powers. I understand that if this was possible it would be very dangerous.

4) Is it possible to summon a creature and trap it within a glyph. Therefore the circle itself is part of the glyph and the leash is attatched to the glyph. Therefore allowing you to take the circle with you.

5) If this is possible can you use it to invest part of the creature's powers into the glyph? eg morphing allowing it to turn into a necklace, watch etc. If the creature can hypnotize then this glyph being able to help hypnotise people or would this be more in the magecraft area.

6) What sort of creatures can be summoned from the common worlds? For the way I see it Fyrden is inhabited by familiarm-only creatures, Kseyden has only plants, Shoyden has Glassbeaks which have a high threat level and finally Zaiden seems to have the Diverse on which seem to be both intelligent and powerful so require higher than novice level in summoning.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the forthcoming answers.
One of those boys someone's chopped the manparts off and turned into a Konti seer

- Gossamer
Marcus Delamurr
Player

Words: 8518
Joined roleplay: March 16th, 2010, 10:03 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Re: Summoning

Postby Tarot on March 18th, 2010, 8:39 pm

1) Familiars need to bind to someone within minutes of entering Mizahar (or any other world besides Fyrden), or they will die. It's like breathing air to them. I'm not sure I understand this question, but a Summoner can summon one for another person, yes. They can also talk to them at will from the other side of the portal without having to bind. When you activate a circle, you can imagine the floor becoming sort of a glass panel to the other world, which the Summoner can unlock. This may not be stated in the article yet as we've only recently started to RP Summoning. They can only bind to living beings, though.

2 & 3) Possession is for ghosts and Spiritism, not Summoning. It doesn't require any other magic. If by possession you mean mind-controlling the summoned being, you can use Hypnotism, especially if it's a lesser-minded creature (say, animals). Smarter ones, you can usually negotiate with.

4) You can trap a creature inside a glyph if you're good enough at glyphing. Time does pass inside the glyph so it can't be kept in there forever or it may die. Moveable circles, on the other hand, are very dangerous. Summoning is Stargate-ish - imagine moving a channel endpoint around! You risk interrupting the flow.

5) This sounds more like Malediction!
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Tarot on March 18th, 2010, 8:42 pm

6) I'm going to put in more worlds when I have time. There will be a world for general "common" fauna, and one for minor monsters to be sure.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Marcus Delamurr on March 18th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Ok thanks for the information. With the first question what I meant was that:

The creatures there require djed to survive
If not linked with someone who knows familiary they will die in our world
Glyphing allows you to store magic

Can you store magic as raw Djed in a glyph and then link it with the glyph so the glyph supplies it with the Djed it needs to survive outside its world. Or is there no way to link the glyph to the Creature
One of those boys someone's chopped the manparts off and turned into a Konti seer

- Gossamer
Marcus Delamurr
Player

Words: 8518
Joined roleplay: March 16th, 2010, 10:03 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Tarot on March 19th, 2010, 9:31 pm

No, they really have to bind to a person. They could, however, enter Mizahar, do something and quickly leave again. Whether this is useful in practice, I have no idea. :)
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

good

Postby rob3r7 on March 19th, 2012, 8:30 pm

:D
rob3r7
Player

Words: 2
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2012, 8:27 pm
Race: Ghost