Concerning Morphing, Magic, Akalak, and Races

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Riczah on February 19th, 2012, 9:44 am

Hi, I just registered, but I've been reading the info for a little bit. I've got a few questions I was curious about.

1) Morphing: It is used to alter the body, into something else, could it be used to increase the body's physical durability. Like strengthen the bones, connective tissues, and skin to be able to stand up to physical stress (unarmed combat)?

I also did not see any mention of permanency. Is it possible to make changes permanent?

2) Magic (Overgiving): How does/would one know when they were reaching their limit? Is it based on their skill(s) of magic disciplines?

3) Akalak: The dual souls they carry, does that have any impact on Djed inside an Akalak? Like an increased capacity due to the two souls sharing the same body, or are both souls at 'half-capacity' since they share the same body? Would a Projection expert who did a full body projection still be able to move his body, since he has two souls? Or would both souls be projected?

I didn't see much mentioned about it, but how does Akalak society feel about those Akalak who do not pursue physical combat and instead focus on magic?

4) Races (curiosity): Since races can breed with humans and produce mixed-blood offspring, is it possible for those non-human races to mate and create a half-breed?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a curious sort, haha.
Thank you for your time.
Riczah
Player

Words: 494
Joined roleplay: February 19th, 2012, 8:21 am
Race: Human

Postby Gossamer on February 19th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Hi there.

I know about all three so I'll try to answer as best as I can.

1. Yes. You have to intimately study what you are doing and practice it, but Morphing can alter anything. The line I draw (which might be something the creator of morphing doesn't) is that you can't make living flesh dead flesh or unliving things. Like... no 'diamond skin' etc. But otherwise, yes you can strengthen bones etc..

2. You play overgiving by ear. It's an rp device and to keep people from cheeseballing magic too much. Every pc overgives at different stages, different rates, etc. Some are naturally magical (Eth), while some struggle with it (humans).

3. Akalak don't have more djed than other people because the body is what gathers and stores the djed. They can have an increased magical knowledge if they want, because they can study twice as hard, etc... but again that's an RP venue. Projection doesn't work any differently with Akalaks as it does with normal humans. It still functions absolutely the same.

Akalak society encourages its youth to study physical combat because they live in a very brutal world on the edge of the Sea of Grass. Riverfall is one of the safest cities to live in around Mizahar just do to the fact that the vast majority of its citizens follow the laws of Riverfall and Wysar or Akajia's rule. That being said, there are places to learn magic in Riverfall and people willing to teach. You aren't considered a Pariah for not going the physical combat routine, but if you aren't playing that role as the Mod of RF I expect your PC to physically reflect the boys in their body haven't been training and be physically inferior strength and body wise than an average Akalak (they are by and large all bodybuilder or whipcord strong types). They will be, however, expected to use their magic rather than their combat prowess to defend their home and keep the peace when in residence.

4. Some non-human races can mix and create mixed blood. If you are a variety of human cultures (say Inarta/Drykas/Svefra) mixed up, you're considered a straight human albeit hienz 57 human, but human. The tag in your CP allows for Human or Human, Mixed. Human, Mixed gets the same bonus as a straight human... a +15 Racial. If you are however a Myrian and Konti, you'll end up a purebred Konti female. I'm not sure the Charoda can reproduce. I think a Myrian and a Dhani could, and you'd get Mixed blood. All the Eths reproduce as their 'normal' phase side is. All the Akalaks produce purebred Akalak boys no matter what species is it. Kelvics tend to pop Humans or kelvics depending on what the parents are.

Hope that helps.

Goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Riczah on February 19th, 2012, 5:36 pm

It helps quite a bit, thank you.
Riczah
Player

Words: 494
Joined roleplay: February 19th, 2012, 8:21 am
Race: Human