i have a few questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

i have a few questions

Postby Morlayaashia on April 21st, 2010, 11:05 pm

i still haven't got quite orientated with this site, and i've been avoiding starting to rp because of still being lost, so i figured i might as well ask so i can stop stumbling around. if i get these answered i figure it'll be a lot easier and i can start posting! (:

sorry for having so many! (the numbers fail, theres more than three questions)

1. I am starting in Sunberth, there are a lot of topics but it does say there is no intro thread...i'm confused if i should start a new topic for my character to go to Sunberth etc. And i noticed all the titles have rather descriptive names, is this supposed to have something to do with what is/will happen in the topic?

2 I have browsed through a few character sheets, and looked at one or two topics briefly and i noticed some are in third person and some are in first person. which one is preferred? Is there a certain way dialog and actions should be posted?

3 How descriptive/long should posts be, and how much action should take place within one post?

thanks in advance(:
Morlayaashia
Memento Mori

Words: 6272
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 1:53 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

i have a few questions

Postby Pua on April 22nd, 2010, 2:24 am

Aloha! Don't worry, almost everyone gets a little muddled at first.

1) Intro posts fall under the preference of the storyteller or mod in charge of each city, region, etc. I believe Liminal runs Sunberth, so he'd be the one to give you an answer. As for thread topics and titles, the creator of the thread is free to name it whatever he or she wants. I think a lot of us view each thread as a story, and thus tend to provide titles that relate to what goes on within.

2)You may use whichever you prefer or are comfortable with. just please don't switch from one o another within a thread, as that would be confusing for those of us who want to read your literary masterpieces.

3)Posts should be as descriptive as possible without becoming to wordy. Show, don't tell. Post length will of course vary depending upon the actions your PC is taking. Time for posts is variable, If your character is alone, you have as much time as you could possibly want. If there are other PCs however, try to limit how much you do or say so that those you are RPing with can respond coherently. Think of it like a conversation, If you say all your lines first and then the person you are conversing with says all theirs then it becomes all jumbled and confusing.

Off course, any more important people could come in behind me and tell me I have it all wrong, But I hope that helps just a little.

Aloha,
Mika
Pua
Bald Jungle Hunk

Words: 45470
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

i have a few questions

Postby Gossamer on April 22nd, 2010, 2:48 am

Mizahar is played in third person omnipresent tense.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

i have a few questions

Postby Stitch on April 22nd, 2010, 2:55 am

I can help out a bit with your first question, although I am sure Liminal will be along in a bit to confirm/correct what I have said. There's no official "entry" point to Sunberth -- or really, any official anything -- so after you've introduced yourself in the OOC thread, please feel free to post anywhere you'd like. Sunberth is a fairly lawless, dangerous town, and has no gate. Most "entry points" are gates or docks, and you just post there to show yourself "entering". It is kind of a way for the admins to keep an eye on who comes and goes, and if they would be allowed to come and go. In Sunberth, there is nothing preventing you.

So feel free to post anywhere in there! If your character has lived there, then no need to post about you coming in! If you ARE coming in from the outside, you COULD post about it, but you don't have to. You do what YOU want to do. <333

As for the question about topic titles...

Example:
[The Golden Dragon] Having a ball!

The part within the brackets is really only the important part. Most people state in the topic title if it is (private) or (open). Some people post what location their character is at, if you are using a city location as the backdrop to your roleplay. In the case of the example, the RPer is using the Golden Dragon as a place to RP in. The rest is just the nice little title of the RP. Hope that helps!

And Goss beat me to the third person/first person question...
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

i have a few questions

Postby Morlayaashia on April 22nd, 2010, 3:40 am

thank you all, i feel much more confident about posting now
Morlayaashia
Memento Mori

Words: 6272
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 1:53 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

i have a few questions

Postby Gossamer on April 22nd, 2010, 7:29 am

I posted that on my phone, which was why my response was so brief. I just wanted to let you know, Molay, that there's no 'mistakes' per say when your finding your characters voice and getting a feel for the game. Everyone who's new here always worries that they will post the wrong way or in the wrong place... and all that worry is unnecessary. If you post in the wrong place, it takes two seconds to move.... and if you read any of the threads out and about you'll get an idea of how to post.

The single most important reason we created Mizahar was for writers to personally challenge their own skill and have fun doing so. You write when you have someone who's dying to read your reply to their post just as your dying to read their response to your post... it gets very addictive. So we really just want you to relax, make some friends, and have a really good time.

Seriously.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)