Projection and Physics

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Projection and Physics

Postby Dariel on December 22nd, 2012, 12:22 pm

I've read over the lore entry for Projection a few times but I'm left to wonder about a few things. Maybe someone can address them.

First things first though. It is my understanding that the Astral Body is normally interlocked with the physical body. Projection allows the user to separate a part of the astral body from the physical one. But this detached astral body part is still connected to the rest of the astral body which is in turn still connected to the physical body. Is that correct? Cause if not the rest of this post doesn't really matter.

The detached body part can be stretched and at higher levels deformed. Does it possess a desire to return to its natural shape (thus possibly requiring some concentration to keep it shaped but also allowing for quick grabs and adaptable tactics)?

How strong are the forces when stretching or retracting? The same as a detached body part's lifting strength?

In how far is there a physical action/reaction in as far as the physical body is concerned? Is force transmitted through the aforementioned link from the detached body part through the astral body into the phyiscal? Or to be more clear: Does push/pull of the astral limb regardless of source affect the physical body?

Or -conversely- is the force exerted by the astral limb completely divested from the body's physical existence? In this case Projection Masters would be able to lift or even throw their own bodies which sounds hella fun but also ridiculously silly. On the other hand, if force travels through the astral into the physical body, Projectionists lifting things at long range would be subject to insane leverage.

I'm assuming the truth is somewhere in between. I'd just like to know before I write about doing Projection pullups or what have you.
Dariel
Rime and Reason

Words: 98432
Joined roleplay: November 13th, 2012, 10:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Journal

Projection and Physics

Postby Dariel on December 31st, 2012, 5:50 pm

Since nobody seems to be able to tackle this, maybe a practical example will help?

Imagine you're using a projected limb to snatch an item someone else is holding.

They notice the tug on the item and pull back; a tug of war scenario ensues. Assuming the other guy has more mass and physical strength, I'm wondering what happens when he keeps pulling back on the object of desire.

Will you be pulled along? Will the projected limb stretch? What happens when it's stretched to and beyond its limit? Will it not budge at all? Or will it simply snap?
Dariel
Rime and Reason

Words: 98432
Joined roleplay: November 13th, 2012, 10:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Journal