Ullr's Questions on Leveling Skills

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Ullr on January 10th, 2013, 2:24 am

Alrighty. I have (hopefully) a couple last questions to ask, and then I'm on my way to expanding my character.

When one wants to gain skill points for a skill, does he or she simply post a thread wherever they are? Like, if I was in Syliras, could I just post any sort of thread detailing what I was doing to increase said skill? Do I have to title it a certain way, or do anything specific in order to receive the skill points?

Is it possible to earn other skill points than the ones I target in a thread? Like... If I was detailing a run I made in order to up my stamina (my running skill), could details in that thread warrant an additional skill point to other areas, like observation?

I'm sorry if this seems to make no sense. I'm trying to grasp this concept as best as I can. D:
Ullr
Queen of the Not-Jungle

Words: 6902
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2013, 4:15 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Journal

Postby Kirvan Deepseeker on January 10th, 2013, 3:10 am

You get skill points by writing about doing that skill, simple as that. No requirements, no special marked threads, no secret codes, just write about your character doing stuff and they will get skill points in doing that stuff. Whatever happens in a thread can go towards skill points, even some minor things that you may not think about - I was surprised by one particular xp reward for one of my social threads.

Also, you don't have to 'target' skills in a thread. It usually helps to keep a particular skill in mind when you're writing if you want to advance that skill, but you can also just write for the heck of it and the STs will grant your character experience based on what they're doing while you're having fun. Like actual experience: even if you're not thinking about it, you're getting slightly better at typing the more you do it.
Kirvan Deepseeker
Praise Laviku!

Words: 172723
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2012, 1:47 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ullr on January 10th, 2013, 3:22 am

Awesome! Thank you so much. That's the gist I was getting, I just wanted to clarify whether or not I had to signify to a ST that they should check out the thread. Thank you thank you thank you!
Ullr
Queen of the Not-Jungle

Words: 6902
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2013, 4:15 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Journal

Postby Kirvan Deepseeker on January 10th, 2013, 4:22 am

You do still have to submit your threads once they're completed to get the rewards, but apart from that there's nothing. Each ST has an office where you can submit your thread by linking it, then they'll give you any experience they see in the thread.
Kirvan Deepseeker
Praise Laviku!

Words: 172723
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2012, 1:47 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes