General overall help?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

General overall help?

Postby Tzira on September 8th, 2013, 10:15 am

I'm brand new to roleplaying and somewhat new to creative writing. While I do love to imagine things a lot. My questions concern the rp. I really want to make a very zealous Myrain that mostly survives in tolba for now, but I am the weird person whose shy but feels the utmost urge to socialize. So my question is what's a good idea for a social character whom could be loved?

I've thought about it. Started a character didn't like the idea in the long run scrapped it and now stuck with so many options and ideas I love. I'm an idealist at heart, but I like to hear others opinions so any advise would be great. Something challenging even more so.

I want my myrian to be the laid back I slowly work on. While this would be the more social proactive character I wanna wake up to being able to post something epic almost everyday kinda feeling.

Any advise would greatly help. Thank everyone for their time.
Tzira
Of the Jagged Blade

Words: 9225
Joined roleplay: September 5th, 2013, 3:49 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

General overall help?

Postby Khida on September 8th, 2013, 10:39 am

Welcome to Miz, Tzira!

When it comes down to it, a good idea for a character is one which interests you. There's no absolute scale of 'good ideas', so we really can't tell you 'oh, make this kind of character and you'll be an instant hit with everyone'. There are some obvious bad ideas, but what's good/effective/interesting to one player isn't necessarily so for another... and whatever you play, it needs to be something that engages you, or else you won't be able to keep investing in the character.

I find that characters are 'loved' by other players when they're active and involved (and also true to the lore). They shouldn't be 'perfect' characters, but well-rounded people with strengths and flaws. Beyond that, they can be hero or villain, convivial or gruff, practically anything (that fits into Miz) -- people will come to love them if you put work into them and get them involved in things.

The best advice I can give you is to take the option/idea which speaks most to you the player, put them somewhere on the map, and go RP. Join events, make connections with thread partners, and develop relationships IC and OOC. If you want a social and proactive character... give your character a social and proactive personality, and RP them accordingly. Then that's what they'll be.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

General overall help?

Postby Tzira on September 8th, 2013, 10:44 am

Hmmmmm very true. :D. So where's a good starting place for super active social type person. Sylrias seems intimiditating. So many posts and players, but I could be wrong.
Tzira
Of the Jagged Blade

Words: 9225
Joined roleplay: September 5th, 2013, 3:49 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

General overall help?

Postby Khida on September 8th, 2013, 10:57 am

Syliras is super-busy, this is true. That might be a good place for a social person, though, because there are so many players. ;) I suppose it depends on just how social you actually want to be!

Here are some recent activity counts for the different areas. (Notes that some are wilderness areas.) I'd suggest cities that typically have around 15 or more active threads per week -- those are in my experience active enough to keep one occupied. Depending on how much free time you have to burn, you may prefer more active areas (e.g. 30+ threads/week). Beyond that, I'm pretty sure they're all good for socializing in.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)