Assorted Questions.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Assorted Questions.

Postby Basiliscos V Argomedo on August 1st, 2010, 11:59 pm

I'm interested in RPing here, but I have some questions before taking the plunge. Please excuse my ignorance of these topics.

I'm want to make an alchemist, but I'm confused as to how a character learns already existing alchemical formulas, particularly:

• What kind of alchemical items from the price list could I produce as either a novice or competent alchemist? (Not including other prerequisite skills)
  • Does alchemy use a scale for the ability to make alchemical items from the price list, based on price/competency, like poisons do?
  • Also, do these specific alchemical items require lores, and if so, would they be for specific or general types of alchemical items?
I loathe writing solo training RPs, but this creates a problem when picking a skill like alchemy. Would it be possible to increase a skill that requires study or preparation (In this case alchemy), in an RP without actual study or preparation, in one of the following ways:

A flashback, nested in a post, about the preparation or learning of how to make an alchemical item, when actually utilizing it?

A sudden breakthrough or random thoughts as to theoretical possibilities in alchemy, also nested in a post?

Also, may I begin a character with extra items not included in the starting package, by deducting their worth from my character's starting Miza? For instance, a long running journal or diary, that couldn't have been purchased in the present.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Strikeouts answered in chat.
Basiliscos V Argomedo
There's an ant crawling on my moniter.

Words: 12976
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 11:12 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Assorted Questions.

Postby John Vicari on August 2nd, 2010, 9:55 pm

For theses questions I would send Tarot a pm and ask him.
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Assorted Questions.

Postby Stitch on August 2nd, 2010, 10:06 pm

Tarot is this guy, and one of the Founders of the site, as well as the writer of the Alchemy skill. He would indeed be the best one to ask. <333333333
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Assorted Questions.

Postby Basiliscos V Argomedo on August 3rd, 2010, 12:17 am

Ah, I will do that, thank you.
Basiliscos V Argomedo

Character sheet
Peer Reviewer (1)

Assorted Questions.

Postby Tarot on August 3rd, 2010, 7:40 pm

You ask a rather tricky question. :) The problem is, the alchemical items on the price list were written by Gillar (a fellow Founder of this website) months before I actually sat down and wrote the Alchemy skill. As such, there's no guarantee that the items be a clear fit for the skill, especially since I tried my best to make it very much unlike the usual potion making found in most fantasy settings. In fact, some of those items may be best pursued with the Philtering skill, which is closer to traditional "alchemical" brewing. In the long run, yes, we may need some standardization on these items (a team of volunteers would be greatly appreciated ;) ). For now, making up your own formulas and using your common sense is your best bet. Mods have this instinct that tells them if something is balanced or appropriate, and they will be sure to moderate or approve your inventions, or conversely make you fail if you're going over the top.

I should add that you are in no way limited to the items you find on the list. The poison skill naturally lends itself to neat categories, but most of my skills need to be a little more freeform. :) If it makes sense, is something that fits our world, and sounds like something your character would be able to do, then you can probably make it. Or gain XP trying, anyways.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Assorted Questions.

Postby Basiliscos V Argomedo on August 4th, 2010, 4:03 am

Ah, no Djed radiation for some of the potions, perfect. I was coming up with a lot of sneaky way to mitigate it, maybe projection from behind a lead wall. This is much better though, as now I'll have more skill points to play with.

When I start RPing more with my character, I think I'll get more ideas for potions and standardization and such. I'd be happy to work on the philtery or general price list once I'm comfortable that I can add something meaningful to it.

Anywho, I think I'm set on my character, time to type him up. Thank you for helping me, even with all my tricky questions.

Oh, also, speaking about volunteer work, is there any way I may assist in making Nyka playable? It's my favorite city so far, as it feels very nuanced and complex.
Basiliscos V Argomedo

Character sheet
Peer Reviewer (1)