Webserver switch

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Webserver switch

Postby Tarot on August 15th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Hello Mizaharians,

Over the past few weeks the site has experienced several slow-downs. A good part of the blame should probably go the other users of the machine we are on. When their activity spikes, we may also suffer for the next while. However, the chat is also a likely culprit as it's http-based - every user is, in fact, pulling a webpage down from the server every two seconds.

I've been working on a better setup, and I have just switched in a new lightweight webserver that specifically deals with the chat and static files (images, style sheets, etc.) while good old heavyweight Apache serves the rest of the site. Aside from a performance improvement, this also means the amount of resources chat takes from our host is capped and separate from the main site. No matter how busy chat gets, performance would only degrade for the chat (i.e. more lag) and the site would still work normally. Not sure if I explained myself decently, but anyways, that'll have to do. :)

Due to the new proxying mechanism, you may be asked to log into the site again. Some folks experience this, others don't. If you have trouble logging in, please try clearing your cookies and cache. And of course, a new piece of software often means new glitches and problems. Feel free to share any problem you may be having with the site. Thank you very much for your continued patience and assistance.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Webserver switch

Postby Azerix on August 15th, 2010, 4:15 pm

So far ive only had 2 problems Tarot 1 is i have to log in every time i click a new page every few minutes. the other is i can no longer log into chat. and this is after deleting my cache and cookies
Azerix
Player

Words: 30996
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2010, 11:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Webserver switch

Postby Rhuryc on August 15th, 2010, 4:18 pm

I'm experiencing an issue similar to Azerix.

I can log into the forum with some work (it will occasionally log me out on its own) but I'm experiencing some strange issues with chat, most of all. I've cleared the cache and cookies and I've tried to get into chat on both Chrome and Firefox, but when I click on the link it brings me to the chat log-in page where every attempt is met by taking me to the "congrats, you logged in successfully" page on the forum. Every subsequent attempt results in the same event.

I have tried not being logged into the forum server and logging into the chat, same result. I've cleared all data on both browsers, same result. That's where my experimenting has got me so far - I'll keep trying some things, but it's probably something on the server side.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Words: 466305
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2010, 7:22 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Webserver switch

Postby Azerix on August 15th, 2010, 4:22 pm

yupp that is exactly what is happening to me Rhuryc
Google Chrome is my browser btw.
Azerix
Player

Character sheet

Webserver switch

Postby Malia on August 15th, 2010, 4:25 pm

First of all, it's cool to have some technical improvements! Kudos to Tarot! :)

I'm experiencing the same problem as Rhuryc and Azerix, though, on Safari. So, yes, since my browser is usually very efficient, I suspect the server is to blame.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Webserver switch

Postby Tarot on August 15th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Did you guys restart your browser after you cleared cookies and cache? Cause I couldn't access the admin panel, but it worked fine after I did.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Webserver switch

Postby Azerix on August 15th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Yes sir, i did
Azerix
Player

Character sheet

Webserver switch

Postby Rhuryc on August 15th, 2010, 4:31 pm

I did as well, Tarot, and I just tried again for good measure. I'm going to try a quick restart with a refreshed, cleared browser and see how that works.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Webserver switch

Postby Tarot on August 15th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Okay, I have to leave for an hour now. Please let me know if there are any changes. There is something else I can try and I will... after dinner!
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Webserver switch

Postby Rhuryc on August 15th, 2010, 4:42 pm

No go on the reboot with the cleared browser. It doesn't work on IE, either, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the individual's browser =/

Anyway, I'll keep trying if anything new comes to mind.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next