NaNoWriMo challenge!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

NaNoWriMo challenge!

Postby Tarot on September 20th, 2009, 9:00 am

Hello Mizaharians,

we are proud to issue our first contest for your consideration. We are calling for our community to enter the NaNoWriMo challenge with stories set in the world of Mizahar. The National Novel Writing Month, now in its tenth edition, is an event in which participants from all over the world write a 50,000-word short novel over the month of November. If you can do this, you win - the only opponent is yourself.

We think it would be a great opportunity for Mizahar if we could enter NaNoWriMo with as many stories as possible. It would also help spread the word about Mizahar, a fantasy world that we humbly believe to be good enough to write books about. We do not know of any previous attempt at doing this in a forum roleplaying community.

Of course, we know this may not be for everyone, but we are giving you plenty of time before the contest begins on November 1 so you can consider the idea and come up with a plot and character concepts, should you be interested. Rewards include:

- Getting your work published in a special area of the site.
- A shiny Medal in your profile.
- If you run your plot by us, we can make sure it is accepted as canon, so your effort doubles as world development.
- If your character is part of the story, they can be awarded mad Experience Points for what they do in it.
- If you finish your novel in time, Amazon will bind and deliver it to you for free.

Please post your ideas and questions in the Help Desk, or feel free to discuss them on the forums. We will do our best to help you succeed. Gossamer and myself will be entering the contest with two stories from pre-Valterrian Mizahar that will also add plenty of detail to important concepts and NPCs from that age (more details about that later). We have so much material neatly organized in our Lore that we basically just have to sit down and write about it.

Just a hint if you feel intimidated by the sheer number of words that NaNoWriMo expects you to write. This contest is about putting your ideas on paper in a grand creative braindump, not about writing perfect prose or flawless stories. You can edit and polish your novel later, but you can't edit anything if you don't have a novel to begin with. :)

Good luck to any and all participants!
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Re: NaNoWriMo challenge!

Postby Gossamer on September 20th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Like Tarot said, this year we are extra charged up about NaNoWriMo. I believe Gillar will be placing an entry too. If there is enough interest (of more than just the founders participating) then we can set up a separate forum for cheerleading, discussions, and advice for when you get stuck, and questions and answers. It seems like a daunting task, but we are all quite confident we can do it. I have a friend irl who participated last year, and her lovely bound book is beyond amazing... and is a tangible reward you can hold in your hand and show everyone what you can achieve.

Voco, your idea is interesting too. I'm going to be borrowing on Tarot's magic system, namely familiarism and morphing, to write my own tale as well. This should be all kinds of fun. It's tempting to write for a PC for me, because I am an XP lover, but sometimes the tales pre-valterrian are far more tempting, and I think I'm going to go that way.

So, let me know if you think we need the forum! We should set up some sort of timeline for people participating. You aren't actually supposed to start writing until Nov 1, but its well within the rules to come up with an outline, flesh out characters, and decide on your plot. But, like the NaNoWriMo people claim, plot is optional! This is just about writing writing writing... and not supposed to produce the great American novel.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Nickorius on September 20th, 2009, 5:56 pm

I'd just like to say that I signed up on the NoNaWriMo site and I'll be attempting the challenge this year. I'll probably shamelessly write for one of my characters. So, the big question for me is which character I will write for. I'm pretty freaking excited for this and I'm gonna begin plotting today. This is going to be AWESOME.
Nickorius
Harvester of Souls

Words: 13932
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Office

Postby Voreasos Alisier on September 21st, 2009, 1:34 am

I will enter :)
Mizahar- An utopia for writers

Mizahar- Where dreams are tangible
Voreasos Alisier
Player

Words: 32930
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2009, 6:48 am
Blog: View Blog (8)
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Voco on September 21st, 2009, 9:31 am

I wouldnt mind seeing a forum, it could be useful. This will be, if I manage 50k, the longest thing I've ever written, so having a place to discuss various things on the subject might be nice.
Voco
Form Finder

Words: 6512
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2009, 8:50 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on September 21st, 2009, 8:38 pm

That's six of us so far... that's far more than enough for a forum. I believe Tarot already opened one under resources so we can get started plotting!

This is going to be so much fun.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Liminal on September 21st, 2009, 9:49 pm

Just so's you know, I'm writing one of these too. Hopefully. ^^
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Malia on September 22nd, 2009, 10:17 am

That's amazing news!

I've heard of the NaNoWriMo and tried to participate one time (for a few weeks, that is). Anyway, it sounds like a very good idea for us as a community, with the forum and all that. I think I will try and write something for Mizahar. :)
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Zaira on September 22nd, 2009, 3:11 pm

muwhahahah i have finally found something that might be able to be written so i am in ^ ^

Best of luck everyone
Zaira
The Wanderer

Words: 30459
Joined roleplay: August 18th, 2009, 2:14 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Chaelnomyl on September 22nd, 2009, 6:23 pm

Oh, you all should post lovely drafts for me to read! lol. I wish I didnt have so much time-consuming science classes, because then I might give it a go.

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with! Yay Miza!
In his winding wail and his deep-heaved sigh, his aching grief found vent...
While the sea looked upon the bending sky and murmured,
"I repent..."
Chaelnomyl
Orphan of the Sea and Sky

Words: 58281
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next