Questions about the Kelvic race.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Alek on October 13th, 2010, 9:06 am

Not in any particular logical order:

1. Is a Kelvic able to resist/ go against a master's wishes? If so, would there be side effects? Would they vary depending on the command given?

2. A Kelvic is technically capable of learning magic if the need arises. Is it possible for them to learn familiary out of their need for companionship?

Does the way they were created prevent this from being achieved? (The lore said a degree of familiary was used in their creation, and that familiars cannot have a familiar, but how familiar-related is a Kelvic?) Sorry for the wording.

3. A Kelvic is short-lived as a reflection of his/her animal self, right? Would a mouse Kelvic live a shorter life than that of a macaw Kelvic, or would they have the same life expectancy because they both belong to the Kelvic race?

4. Less importantly, but because it's bugging me: what is the plural spelling of Kelvic? Would it remain Kelvic or would it be Kelvics?

Sorry if any of these are dumb questions, and thanks in advance to anyone able to help.
All lessons welcome, all help needed.
Alek
Player

Words: 1082
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2010, 8:53 am
Race: Kelvic

Postby Dhanya on October 13th, 2010, 11:44 am

Don't take my word as gospel but I've been playing for a while and here's my take on things:

1. I think of bonding as a love bolstered by empathy. The only problem is that Kelvics are kind of wired to want to be whatever their Master's most desire. Half the time, they might not notice, especially if who they are is in close alignment with what their Master wants or if they have bonded with the sort of person who explicitly doesn't want them to change. This means that if they're asked to do something they might do anyway, they wouldn't mind.
If, however, their master asked them to kill someone they loved or otherwise go against principles they hold dear... There would be an intense drive to do so that would go against their personality. They still have free will. They could choose whether to fight it or not.
That said, their masters have an empathic bond with them as well. They would have to be a pretty horrible/crazy person to want a bondmate to hurt that badly. Afterall, they'd feel it too (that's how it seems to go, see some of the threads Siiri has with Miharu, they have a really close bond).

2. They can learn magic, my Kelvic uses hypnotism from time to time.

3. They live as long as their animal does, I can recall asking Jen a while ago so you may wish to check with her. The buck stops with Jen, as it were.

4. I Kelvics, not sure if I'm right though!
Dhanya
Probably attractive in real life.

Words: 136227
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Character sheet
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Stitch on October 13th, 2010, 6:27 pm

You may already know this, but just in case, this is Jen. She would definitely be the one to PM about the more complex questions of the race, as she is the creator. Pygmy is quite the expert herself, though. <3
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Alek on October 13th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Thanks for clarifying the relationship between a Kelvic and a bondmate. I didn't quite understand it 'til now. I'll take your word for the rest of it, and if anything else comes up, I know who to ask. Thanks again.
All lessons welcome, all help needed.
Alek
Player

Words: 1082
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2010, 8:53 am

Postby Gossamer on October 16th, 2010, 4:47 pm

These are great questions.

1. Kelvic bonds can be broken. If abuse or distrust happens on a regular basis, the kelvic wont stay bonded unless it is a weak spineless creature that has grown into its own in a state of abuse or slavery. It also depends on what sort of bond and how early the kelvic has made it. In my thinking there are two types of bonds. I need to add these to the wiki. The first type is the kelvic that bonds early and frequently, passed from master to master. First of all, these animals are extremely undeveloped and very low on the intelligent scale. They willingly do whatever and don't give it much thought but they don't absorb too much of their masters.

The second type of bonding is deeper. If the Kelvic is allowed to grow up without a bond, they learn to think for themselves and gain quite a bit of human intelligence. They bond later, when fully mature, they have stronger more complete bonds that are more like described above. The kelvic picks carefully and chooses their bondmate from this type of bond. It might take years but the urge to bond is overwhelming to them. These types of kelvics are willful, and tend to assume a lot of their bondmate's tastes or at least become somewhat fascinated with what their bondmates want or need. These bonds are deeper and emotions, sensations, even sometimes other deeper things can be passed between them. A really strong bonding becomes mutually benifitial. And often the bondmates will be equally obsessive.

Marcus Kelvic intended the second type of bonds... he allowed his creations to grow up before he formed bonds with them. He did not intend them to be slaves exactly... just glorified servants he could keep his eye on and know that they were absolutely loyal.

2. Kelvics can learn magic. They cannot learn familiarity. They are in essence something of familiar's themselves. I don't think they are set up so they can actually have familiar's themselves either.

3. See everyone else's answer.

4. Kelvic is plural of Kelvic
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)