Mizahar Fundraising Time! Our Bills Are Due. :)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Postby Gossamer on March 22nd, 2016, 8:41 am

Fundraising Time!

Greetings Mizahar!

At the end of March every year Mizahar renews both their domain names and the server fees paying a head a whole year. We are an absolutely free website, but that doesn't mean we don't have expenses. We do! And while this is definitely not any sort of 'we'll close down if you don't donate' type thing, the reality is we do need to pay the bills. The site owners will always pony up the funds if we can't get donations, so there is zero threat of closure. However, because we stay free and absolutely maintain that promise to remain free, we do need to solicit funds from time to time. Why? The running of Mizahar is expensive. Its hundreds of dollars!

What do we use the donations for? We absolutely JUST use them for the renewal of our domain names and paying our server fees. I'm very comfortable if we have around $700 in the kitty for that. Unfortunately we don't. And I know a lot of you have asked me about donations in the past and what I've always said is ... 'wait until spring... we need it in spring' because that's the whole truth. We don't pay month to month. We wouldn't get the discounts we do.

We carefully wait until our service provider sends us out a discount coupon just before our server fees are due and then we usually sit down and talk about it. Unfortunately those coupons are becoming more and more rare. Full price hurts. And both Tarot and I hate hate hate paying full price. We are frugal to the core.

Tarot also combs through the 'performance' part of the game and decides if we are running fast enough and if there's enough storage. Then he will try to make an educated guess if we are fine for another year or not and make adjustments. We've been holding steady for a few years now, but in the beginning I remember some hair raising moments where we suddenly and almost immediately needed new space.

The Domain Fees area about a hundred a year which we could cut back on but we'd have to drop the .org and .net :) But what we can't cut down on is Server Fees and then a healthy emergency fund in case we need something else throughout the year. Server fees run $500+ and we need a little cushion in the fund for those 'in case' scenarios of upgrades etc.

No one uses this money among the staff. Tarot handles it exclusively and doles it out as needed. If we get more than we actually need, we save it for the next year which is why we didn't need a fund raising post for last year. 2014 was a big giving year and had it covered.

So... that time is here.

Please donate if you can spare some funds. If you donate at least $5 (which helps a great deal if a lot of pc do this) then you get the donor medal! I know some of you collect the medals. This is an automatic thing meaning you don't have to wait for anyone to approve and add it onto your account.

I mentioned this in chat earlier today and was exceedingly grateful to find that we raised about $415 in about ten minutes. Thank you thank you thank you!

But we are still shy of that $700 and everything paid for + padding fundage goal. So please take a moment, give a look at how much the site means to you, and if you can please donate some funds. You can always check the donate funds page to see how many donations we've had and what the amounts are. And until we get to our goal, I'm leaving this up for people to see. Someone who's watching please post in here when we've met our goals. I promise you won't hear from me again until next year.

Here's the donate page.

Thank you so much!

Gossamer
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on March 22nd, 2016, 5:20 pm

I just wanted to take a moment to thank people for the enormous response. We have a goal of $700 to fully fund everything for this upcoming year and we're at around $550 in just one day and only a few hours into the posting notice. The bulk of that came from just mentioning it was renewal time in chat.

If you gave, thank you enormously! You're helping everyone and like I said, we only do this once a year. If you haven't and are considering it, remember just fifteen folks donating $10 gets us there. We easily have enough players to even half that donation and still make the goal.

Quick, one of you trendsetters out there make having a Donor Medal cool!

Thanks!
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on March 24th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Congrats Folks!

We officially met our 2016 goals for funding. Thank you for the donations and everyone who stepped up to spread the word it was that time of year. We have more than enough to cover server fees, domain names, and any extra stuff we might need throughout the coming year. Remember, we take donations throughout the year but this time of year is the most important. Thanks for helping keep us running and being so generous. As always, the money is only used for Mizahar's needs and we only ask for it once a year. We strive to keep the site commercial free and fee free for all the players. That was our promise opening and this is our promise as we continue forward.

Thank you!
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes