Spirit/Shield Question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Spirit/Shield Question

Postby Arya Nallithes on August 27th, 2016, 8:15 pm

Question in regards of a combination i am trying to work out. I am going for Spiritism and Shielding magics. However what i am wanting to know is if a Shield i create can ward off ghosts if i smear Soulmist over my Shield? Or would the smearing Soulmist have to be on something that's physical such as Ghostbeads and such?
Arya Nallithes
Player

Words: 3755
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2016, 4:28 am
Race: Human

Spirit/Shield Question

Postby Crow on September 8th, 2016, 9:54 pm

Shielding aids in protection against magics while spiritism and soulmist work against ghosts. The two are effectively different. While I can assure that shielding would strengthen soulmist being kept in the body of on a physical item I would not say that shielding can be smeared with soulmist.

Please keep in mind that soulmist can also be held inside of a person as well while it is being formed to prevent possession and ward off spirits as well.

As such combining the two might be possible, please share some of your concepts and I can tell you whether or not is possible.

~Thanks to Aladari Coolwater for the template
Crow

Spirit/Shield Question

Postby Arya Nallithes on September 10th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Hmm... well in that case say if Arya was creating a bubble-like barrier around herself and she has performed the necessary recipes of creating Soulmist beforehand. Would it be possible if Arya was projecting the soulmist inside of the bubble? Meaning that the bubble could possibly absorb the soulmist and serve as a barrier against ghosts specifically.

If not then i can easily make a combination where Arya's Ghostbeads are set in place she can create a barrier just outside the Ghostbeads' radius to protect her from both Djed and preventing physical objects from bypassing.
Arya Nallithes
Player

Spirit/Shield Question

Postby Crow on September 10th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Shielding can have different forms and would be able to combine with soul mist and possibly contained around the body to protect ones self.

The shield being charged with almost might even work in an offensive manner if a ghost attempted harm, though this would need experimented with.

Though for a physical shield you could layer both the beads and the shield for a more concrete protection. That would work. However what you described earlier by smearing soul mist I don't think would be ss effective because once someone casts shielding it requires concentration to hold and keep form, a hosted shield also varies in form, so the more time spent constructing it the stronger it is.
Crow

Spirit/Shield Question

Postby Gossamer on September 10th, 2016, 11:57 pm

You could charge a shield to protect against specific soulmist (to task against it). However, you'd need a sample of the soulmist from the ghost you are trying to ward off to use in building the shield which could be quite difficult to acquire. You can't make generic food for ghosts to protect against all ghosts like I think you are trying to do. That means you'd need an individual shield for each ghost you are trying to create a barrier to until you were high enough level to task more than one barrier in one shield. And you'd have to layer them - its doable but very very hard.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Spirit/Shield Question

Postby Arya Nallithes on September 11th, 2016, 12:06 am

Alright, then i would have to experiment it with simple barriers attached to the Ghostbeads first. Though obtaining the ghost's soulmist by hand is something that would be hard to come by itself. Creating a specific barrier for each individual ghost would give Arya a headache, but she can do it. It's just from what i'm reading Ghosts rely on soulmist and while yes it is possible to obtain the soulmist Arya would have to work very quickly with the soulmist. Mostly because the soulmist only lasts for a few days at most before it dissipates. Even if it was possible to smear soulmist onto a barrier the soulmist would dissipate in just a matter of days.
Arya Nallithes
Player

Spirit/Shield Question

Postby Orin Fenix on September 11th, 2016, 12:12 am

I think you might be confusing the Soulmist a Spiritist can create with the Soulmist that comprises a ghost. The two have different properties and while a ghost can "consume" a Spiritist's Soulmist and make it into their own, before then the Soulmist a Spiritist creates doesn't belong to anyone but the Spiritist, if that makes sense. I'm not sure how quickly Soulmist that a ghost gifts to a Spiritist decays.

However, I'm not an expert on the subject so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Spirit/Shield Question

Postby Gossamer on September 11th, 2016, 12:46 am

*facepalm*

You are so right. I'm definitely confusing it. You need something of the ghost to block against the ghost in terms of sheilding. Just soulmist from a spiritist would not work.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)