Hello world!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Hello world!

Postby Ghede Muut on December 15th, 2009, 7:21 am

I found Mizahar a couple of days ago through a Google search for "PbP RPGs" and a quick diagonal reading got me reeled in. I have virtually zero play-by-post experience although I did play a lot of computer RPGs back in the day (Fallout 2, FF VII, Baldur's Gate, Diablo II, you name it).

I've already read most of the newbie stuff but there are still some doubts lingering in my mind. I can't quite materialize them yet, but I feel them there, so I'll ask as soon as I understand what exactly it is that I want to ask.

Anyway, a quick look at the race descriptions made me quite interested in playing a Nuit. As I understand, it can be a difficult race to role-play, which makes it all the more interesting.

I'm also glad to see that Mizahar is a thriving community despite its infancy. This thing sure has potential. I rather like Mizahar's fresh setting... to hell with elves and dwarfs, why does everyone feel the need to stick to that? :confused:

Well, I'll ask a small question just to get me started (although I could be doing this in the wrong part of the forum): So the Nuit can freely change body, as long as the new host is dead. I assume that "something" must pass from the previous host to the next in order for the new body to be "inhabited". Is that something some kind of magical essence? A soul? And how does it manifest when outside a body? How long can it stay outside a host? Can it only inhabit humanoid corpses?

(wow I guess I overdid it)

To wrap it up: what *are* the Nuit?
Ghede Muut
Player

Words: 1545
Joined roleplay: December 15th, 2009, 3:03 am
Race: Nuit

Re: Hello world!

Postby Gossamer on December 15th, 2009, 8:14 am

I don't know about anyone else here, but I love new people like you Ghede. People with ZERO play by post experience often brings a hugely fresh approach to the game - adding dimensions people who are comfortably ensconced in their pbp traditions would have never thought of.

So please.. feel very welcome. You really are.

I really do like your attitude too. We have a 'we can!' and a 'we will!' attitude here that strangely enough in these really difficult times (real life wise) bring people together in a way that isn't often found. I think its because we go out of our way to say its okay to be a family of gamers even though we come from all over, have a huge age spread, and understand that each and every person has the potential to bring a vastly different skillset to the table - one that we might need! So I really am excited you decided to stop by, register, and join us.

Besides, Nuit's are cool. Yes, I think they are difficult because they have a social awkwardness as well as an internal angst that is really hard to duplicate anywhere. They didn't ask to be created. They don't have some divine purpose or noble birth. They were simply the byblows of powerful animaters asking 'what if'. In a way, they are tragic victims.

As for your doubts... trust me. We've all been there and done that and had those. About six months ago we were told we were crazy for starting 'yet another rpg site' and 'you'll never make it' etc. Well, I think we figured out along the way the best way to not slip through the cracks is to not create 'just another rpg site' but instead create something you as a player really want to play. So rather than do what everyone else was doing... we decided to create a place that was different in hopes of being different (and not in the cliche way).

All you really need to do to play mizahar and have a good time is to put some thought into a player character and be willing to take chances for the sake of the story. An open friendly attitude (ooc - IC you can be a jerk if you want!) really helps too. Anyone here will give as much help as you need.

But as for your Nuit questions... I'm going to leave them to Tarot. The reason being is that Tarot is the creator of the Nuit and he loves talking all things Nuit. So while I could answer them (and most of those answers are in the Nuit writeup in the wiki), it would be robbing my beloved friend of a chance to borrow my well-worn soap box, hop on it, and wax eloquently about his lovely tragic (somewhat stinky if they don't change their bodies often enough) creations. :)

I hope you have a great time here!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tarot on December 15th, 2009, 9:44 am

Welcome to Mizahar, Ghede! :)

Don't worry, we are here to answer your questions. I'm glad you're interested in the Nuit, as they are the first race I developed for Mizahar.

The simple questions first (many of which, as Goss said, are covered in the Nuit writeup). The transfer from one body to the next involves passing the Nuit's ichor to the new host. The ichor is what really binds the soul to a dead shell, so when all of it is transferred into the new container, the soul follows. Imagine the new host lying sprawled on a table or altar with its mouth open, and the Nuit climbing on it and vomiting its ichor into the body (it's a ritual impregnation). At the end of the ritual, the old body is an empty shell and the soul resides in the new one, though synchronizing with the new body may take a while.

Now, if the ritual fails for some reason - interruptions, incidents, etc. - then the soul might not get transferred at all (I need to write this in the wiki). The soul can only be out of the body for a few seconds. Any longer and the Nuit will likely die.

A Nuit can inhabit any corpse, though it will favor those similar to its original body as they are easier to figure out. They can occupy animal bodies, but generally won't unless they are really desperate, the reason being that you can't set up the next body jumping without arms (you have to paint runes on the body). The Nuit would have to rely on someone else to do it.

Now, as for what's a Nuit... it's not so simple. :) Well, technically, a Nuit is any soul bound to a dead body through Animation. They were man's first attempt at immortality. To create a Nuit from scratch takes a master Animator, though they can spread their condition with their ichor. There are various 'strains' of Nuit around (you can't really call them bloodlines, being artificial and not having blood at all), depending on the wizard who started them. There are the really ancient ones, whose lines started over 10,000 years ago. Then there's the line created by Yovinkus Wotch a couple centuries before the Valterrian, and the Sahovan line started by Zarik Mashaen as part of a military research project. A writeup on these Nuit lines is forthcoming!
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Chaelnomyl on December 15th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Hey, Ghede!

Welcome to Miza! I'm sure you'll be great and have a ton of fun. If you need help getting off the ground with a running start, I find hopping into chat is a great way to get quick questions answered and speak with some of the players and even the admins and designers running around the game. Everyone's pretty friendly and more the willing to help you or offer suggestions if you hit a roadblock.

Hope you enjoy yourself !
In his winding wail and his deep-heaved sigh, his aching grief found vent...
While the sea looked upon the bending sky and murmured,
"I repent..."
Chaelnomyl
Orphan of the Sea and Sky

Words: 58281
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ghede Muut on December 16th, 2009, 1:30 am

Thank you so much for all the fast and useful answers.

@Gossamer, @Tarot: You were right, I apparently skipped some of the Nuit race description where some of my questions were already answered ;) thanks for the patience (in some other forums I'd already be flamed forever).

I guess my next step will be reading about the different possible starting locations, and create a deep background for my character, for which I already have some ideas. I'll keep asking questions during that process, since I don't know exactly how flexible are the rules around here nor how to create a "fair" character in a PbP RPG in general. I definitely don't want to do any God modding accidentally.

I'll also keep working on a solid avatar, because even though a Nuit would potentially change its appearance rather frequently, I think it'd be really neat to have a consistent avatar before I begin posting, and then, in case I change bodies during my adventure, change the avatar accordingly.

Finally, I guess, I'll read some of the previous IC posts to see how is it going and taste the different writing styles.

By the way, sorry if my posting frequency seems rather low but I'm on vacations right now and I'll probably only get online once each couple of days. 8)
Ghede Muut
Player

Words: 1545
Joined roleplay: December 15th, 2009, 3:03 am
Race: Nuit

Postby Gossamer on December 16th, 2009, 2:26 am

Ghede-

I really like your current avatar.
There is just something really
disturbing about it.

Also, don't worry about asking a lot
of questions. Even though we have
a lot of material in the wiki, it can
be somewhat overwhelming reading
all. So don't be afraid to ask questions.

They are also really important because
they help us as staff figure out how
to make the info we do have more
accessible or let us know what needs
clarification or to be easier to
find. :)

Edit: I shouldn't post when on my phone. :)
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)