[Edge of the World] Midnight Serenity (Taln)

A foreigner and a dek meet while stargazing.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Risa Moontide on August 16th, 2011, 11:39 pm

(76th of Summer, 511AV)
Risa's footfalls fell quietly throughout the stone walls, the echo that answered back was fatigued and tired like the so few other residents she had seen on the streets. It seemed like the corridors were practically empty, no other sound joined her own. Fala was tired also, or so his lament said as it sprang every few minutes. He was nestled into Risa's long hair, braided into tiny cascades around him. Fala was so close to Risa's neck to be almost completely hidden by her hair. He had to take a step to snuggle even closer as Risa pulled the thin shirt closer on her shoulders, open in the front and flowing around her like a cape.

Risa knew she should have left hours ago. She had spent the better part of the day just staring at glass works scattered through the town, not the first time she'd wasted a day with such trivial trinkets. Risa should go to Tav, see if he was asleep and if she could share his room again. He hadn't said no, no matter how often Risa forgot to travel back down the mountain to her ship, but she just wasn't feeling tired. She wanted to be awake, experience this silent somber side of the city. It was nice.

Risa found herself walking towards the Edge, her feet guiding her more than any conscious thought. She had spent so many hours on that stupid wall, never made it all the way to the top. Maybe she would tonight? Ha! Risa thought, her her legs too soar to possible make it up. I'll just relax there, maybe it'll make me sleepy. No need to waste what energy I have left.

Risa walked into the large open courtyard, looking up at the impressive rock wall before her. It was nearly empty, the last person she noticed just leaving when Risa arrived. Risa continued her upward gaze, though, now peering up at the twinkling night sky. The glorious colors, the shifting lights were all astonishing. It was so easy to forget this was above her. The sight was... indescribable. Risa felt tiny but huge, nothing compared to the sight above but important enough for the light to grace her eyes.

The old patterns she had developed gazing at these same stars came back to her, old stories and times from so long ago. Words filled her head as she tried to describe the emotions the night gave her. Risa just spoke them aloud, looking into the marvelous deep above.
"
The burning fires do not remind them,
not solid path nor rocking sea,
for lost souls have but one answer,
The night sky makes them free.
"
Last edited by Risa Moontide on October 21st, 2011, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Risa Moontide
Player

Words: 132313
Joined roleplay: July 13th, 2011, 6:45 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Taln on August 17th, 2011, 5:12 pm

The tall copper haired man placed a fluffy peregrine falcon fledgling on a ledge just out of sight of normal passersby. Taln's large calloused hands were tender enough not to disturb a single feather of the tiny bird. He looked down fondly and smiled at Reech.

"You can do it little one! The breeze will catch you and lift you and you only have to raise your wings and hop. Don't worry--I'm right here--I won't let you fall. You're safe now Reech."

The fluffy bundle of feathers seemed to shriek his own name in answer.
"REEEECH!!"

He smiled affectionately at the fledgling. "Of course it's high up! You're a bird who will fly faster than any other in the whole sky! You will be the king of all birds when you can fly!"

He stroked a gentle index finger along the bird's neck and then stepped back a pace.

"Just hop a little to build up your muscles. Up and down and the breeze will let you feel free. You don't have to be earthbound! You will ride the sky someday Reech and nothing will stop you! No one will ever be as fast you will!"

Fluffy baby feathers shed in a mini windstorm as Reech hopped with all his little might. The air would almost nearly catch him each time. He reached his tiny talons downward and kept springing into the air to build his muscles. He flapped his little wings as fast as he could. After a few brief moments, Reech panted with the effort, his little triangle tongue flicking.

Taln proudly scooped up the fluffy fledgling into his hands and cradled him to his chest.

"You're doing it Reech! You almost flew today! I'm so proud of you! You shouldn't push yourself so hard though--your pinfeathers haven't grown all the way in yet."

Taln adjusted the scrap of cloth on his shoulder and placed Reech on it to perch in his hair and get some rest. Even though no one came out here very often, he couldn't risk another Inarta seeing a dek with a falcon.

The worn out juvenile nestled into the thick coppery hair, disappearing from sight, staying warm and cozy. Now it was time to watch the sky for a bit before heading to bed. The dek was exhausted, but he refused to let anything interfere with Reech's one on one time.

He finally sat down and started to relax when he suddenly heard someone speak,

"The burning fires do not remind them,
not solid path nor rocking sea,
for lost souls have but one answer,
The night sky makes them free."
Taln
Ivak's will be done

Words: 246324
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2011, 12:57 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Never Say Die (1)

Postby Risa Moontide on August 18th, 2011, 12:57 am

"And though the stars so far away,
do sit so silent with no say...
"
The slow intro built in her head, the sudden swell of a violin rising in Risa's head from memory. She smiled and shut her eyes, music from long ago taking her away, no longer relaxed and cold but warm and excited, a youthful girl watching a varied performance swirling around her, a feast on a ship, merriment and dance. She could almost hear the drums and chimes even, the symphony of different instruments from across the globe joining into a single beautiful chorus.

"
...they watch us run and watch us play,
A song to sing to the moonlight!
"
Risa grinned, her singing echoing on what she assumed was an empty corridor, eyes still silent she slowly spun around, exaggerated circles that swayed her over-shirt and long skirt like flows of winds and waves of sea. Fala gave out a quick alarm call, a sharp but short shrill in surprise. He hugged Risa closer, trying to steady his weight as not to fall. Risa simply laughed and continued her dance, feet taking light short steps the way her mother used to dance.

"
And Ho! We Go! They can not hold us
But Ho! You Know! They watch our path
Yet Ho! Our Foe! Time will not take us!
A song to sing in the moonlight!
"
Risa's voice rose, echoing off the mountain before her. Her dizzy display probably looked as clumsy as she felt, spinning around wildly in the night. As the next verse began to play in her mind, Risa tripped a bit and had to open her eyes, ending the illusion she had put upon herself. Fala fell too but flapped his short wings to regain himself, unlike Risa's crude attempts at the same. Eyes wide Risa fell, landing on her arm with a soft smile.

Risa looked up at Fala, looking comically annoyed with Risa's dance. She gave him a soft giggle and reached her hand up to pet his feathers, a thin stroke on his chest. Fala's tone changed quickly, smoothing out his feathers in a proud shake. Laying back in a bed of her own red-tinged hair all tossed about, Risa glanced around and then up at the sky. she sighed for a second, enjoying the cool air, before noticing the red hair of a man watching her.

Risa stood quick, reaching forwarding to scoop up Fala and collect herself. She smiled sheepishly, looking over to the hidden ledge and called out, "
I'm sorry! I didn't know anyone was here!" Risa was probably louder than she needed to be in this echoing canyon. She was a little nervous, what if this was one of the angry Inarta who didn't like foreigners? Regardless she took a few steps forward, trying to get a better sight of the person who overheard her display.
Risa Moontide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Taln on August 18th, 2011, 1:53 am

Taln sat silent and motionless, hoping whoever was singing didn't notice him. He saw a girl whirling around and serenading the world in so carefree and happy a manner that she was definitely not an Inarta.

Startled at the singing, Reech abruptly chirped himself awake and watched the turning figure with fierce, golden falcon eyes. He quietly shushed the fledgling peeking out from his shoulder and gently stroked the back and side of the bird's neck with his finger.

"It's alright Reech, you're safe. Go back to sleep little one and dream big dreams." Taln whispered to him in deep, hushed tones. Fala's alarmed call brought out the chick completely from beneath the man's hair and he stood firmly on the shoulder pad. He chirped a question at hearing another bird.

He winced at the loudness of the girl's voice, and little Reech chirped an echoing sentiment at a stranger's voice.

Unsure of what to say or how to answer, Taln simply stood up. He knew that would be a pretty good answer considering he was unfolding six feet of Inarta male. He put up an absent finger to the fledgling at his shoulder and stroked his chest feathers to calm him. He knew exactly how Reech felt. Taln was feeling a little nervous now too.

His emerald gaze caught hold of Fala and admired the bird's sleek feathers and confident attitude. It looked to be about the same height as Reech. He scowled in the starlit night to get a better look. The girl appeared to be about near his age and she had dark red hair, but that's where the resemblance stopped. His eyes were drawn to the decorations and braids in her hair to the fluttering sway of her multicolored clothes.

The copper haired man exhaled before he took a step forward.

'She's not inarta, she doesn't care about caste, so all will be well. Nothing to be nervous of.' He thought to himself quickly.

Reech chirped a friendly greeting to Fala, staring at the single long feather that drooped over its nose. Taln took a few cautious steps toward Risa, still conscious that between his height and the darkness, she might be intimidated.

He smiled down at the Svefra and replied in a deep and quiet voice,

"No need to apologize. It's a nice change of pace to see someone smile and be happy around here. Do you always sing the stars to sleep?"
Taln
Ivak's will be done

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Risa Moontide on August 22nd, 2011, 3:03 am

"Only when the stars are as restless as myself." Risa looked over the stranger, taking notice of the small creature that stood on his shoulder. The fledgeling was adorable with his pre-flight feathers still on his small frame. The color pattern was brighter than Fala's midnight blue black and soft white. Fala chirped loudly at the little bird, a reply back to announce and acknowledge. He tilted his head curiously, eying the little fellow. Risa moved her hand to stop him, feeling her tavan tensing up to fly over to the fledgeling. The eagles here often seemed... angrier than the birds both her and Fala were normally used to.

His size was a little intimidating, even here among the Inarta Risa rarely felt short, but he already was making her. But his voice was friendly enough, if not low and quiet like he didn't get much a chance to use it. The circular slice of metal on his lip was another thing to catch Risa's eye. It looked tough, but Risa liked piercings. One hand came up in a small wave, her other grabbing at that one's elbow insecurely as she approached, steps slower and closer together as she got close enough to hold a conversation.

"
And what brings you to the Edge?" Risa asked, glancing up at the starry sky. Had he come to watch the stars as well, to climb the wall? The scars on his back weren't visible in the low light of the evening, his rank not even on Risa's mind. As she watched the sky, however, she spotted a constellation, The Whale. Silent wisdom and guidance, it foretold. Risa smiled, more memories of her past filling her head as she stared up into the starry sky further. She wondered what constellations these Inarta held, but was captivated by the patterns above her. Each star formed the shape of the sky, the flow of the night above her. She was entrapped by it all, her mind now gone from her current location, her focus gone.
Risa Moontide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Taln on August 22nd, 2011, 4:37 am

The Inarta smiled at her whimsical reply and how it sounded. Carefree and happy.

The peregrine falcon fledgling chirped what seemed to be a question to Fala and stood confidently on the shoulder pad. Like his caretaker, he was a bit big for age and younger than he looked. A few stray fluffy feathers floated off on the breeze and the young bird looked friendly and a bit curious.

Taln watched Risa's bird with interest glinting in his eyes. When she put her hand out to stop the bird from flying, he shook his head til his coppery hair reflected in the dim light. Although his pitch was deep and quiet, it was clear.

"Reech is still young and doesn't quite know he's a falcon yet, so if your lovely bird would like to say hi, I'm sure Reech would love the company. He's never met a stranger before."

He stood patiently, waiting for the woman and her bird to approach. It was just his way when it came to other creatures. Always best to let them come to you instead of rushing to meet a stranger. The tall man didn't want to chance intimidating the short woman and her bird.

"I was helping out Reech here, to exercise his wings and legs in the strong breeze. Then he could doze after all that big exercise for a little chick, while I did some star gazing."
Last edited by Taln on August 27th, 2011, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taln
Ivak's will be done

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Risa Moontide on August 27th, 2011, 12:43 am

Risa shook her head for a moment, trying to shake out the warm melodies and patterns of light that held her enraptured. Blinking a few times in quick succession she peered back over at the two. They both seemed friendly and maybe even cheerful, which always seemed rare outside of the tavern around here. Risa didn't think she had seen this tall stranger before, or at least not standing as proud and merry as he currently did. Still, a feeling that she recognized him irritated her, though she couldn't say why or how.

Risa loosened her grip from Fala's wings and he immediately took off, hopping away and quickly flapping his short wings to catch the strong breeze. His movement was quick in the air, landing on what room was left on the larger man's shoulders with his webbed feet plopping against the skin below. Fala chipped quick, a high note of new greeting to the other, and Risa heard it translated to something like, "
Hello! I bring no harm!" He took an awkward but small step forwards towards the little bird.

Risa followed suit, approaching closer to the two and eying the cute little falcon in as much detail as Leth would provide. His pre-flight feathers were adorable; Risa found herself cupping her hands as the sight. "
Aw, he's just a nestling! Reach? No... Reeeech. Reech." Risa played with the sound for a second, trying to match the taller man's wording and accent as close as she could. "That is Fala," she said, swaying her hand towards his direction, "and I am Risa." Her hands danced with one another in front of her, Risa herself barely conscious to their movement.

Risa also went ahead and answered the two questions she often heard echoed back to her introduction, "
I'm an Avora, if you're curious, though that title still does little to describe me, and yes, if you'd like, I'd gladly tell stories, though I'm not much good at it." Wind Reach seemed to be rubbing off onto Risa more than she realized, as the forward words seemed to bubble out of her as strong-headed as the Inarta who were all around her. "You came to star gaze as well?"
Risa Moontide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Taln on August 27th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Taln grinned like a boy at Fala's sudden arrival on his shoulder. The feel of the webbed feet were unusual on his skin and he couldn't look at the bird enough. He spoke quietly to the pair of birds in soft, rapid Nari, sounding uncannily like another bird.

"Hello beautiful bird, this is Reech and he's a fledgeling who's learning to fly. I like your head feather."

Reech chirped a swift series of liquid notes that resembled the Nari his handler recently spoke. 'Hi Fala. I can almost fly! Mother taught me today. I flapped really hard!'

The large man looked down fondly at the pair and said with a chuckle.
"Fala, whatever Reech just told you, I'm sure he's exaggerating."

When the woman spoke to him, the young falcon chirped his name back to her, answering Risa as if trying to correct her accent.

'Reeeech. Reeee. CH! Reeeech!'

"Hi Fala and Risa. Enjoying the night?" Taln's hand was large but very gentle as he put an index finger out to stroke each of the birds' chest feathers in a comforting way.

The chime that Risa mentioned her Avora status, the smile dropped from the man's face and something clouded his emerald gaze. He removed his hand from Fala, not wanting to risk anyone's wrath.

'Will she confiscate my bird because I'm of the lowest caste? I don't care if she's Endal! She's not taking him away from me! He bonded to -me- and that's that.'

Taln lowered his head until the fiery red hair slid forward to cover his eyes and face. He downcast his eyes and averted his gaze to the side in the accepted posture of a dek. There was nothing to be done about him being taller, but as she'd felt the need to mention her high caste, it would be best to stay as unassuming as possible. He nodded in answer to her statement and the dek's voice became neutral and controlled when he replied to her question.

"Yes Avora."

Reech had been taught since birth to hide himself in the hair when it moved to his 'mothers' shoulder and he hopped into the coppery hair. He was getting bigger now and laughably, his beak and little tail feathers stuck out of the front and back of Taln's hair. The fledgeling was just too big to thoroughly hide any longer and the thought made Taln worry for his safety.
Taln
Ivak's will be done

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Risa Moontide on August 28th, 2011, 5:34 pm

The little bird was so adorable. Risa wished she could reply back fully, but all she could do was translate and use her body language. Risa wondered if the bird’s mother was around right now, she didn’t hear the beating of wings anywhere. The night was surprisingly quiet really.

Fala was more showcasing his head feather and feather patterns, standing proudly with his chest forward. He trilled happily when Taln petted him, flipping his head up towards the large man. Fala’s sapphire eyes just looked into Taln’s, head slightly tilted to the side and pointed upward. He chirped, a curious and bright sound right after Taln said, “
Enjoying the night?” Risa heard it as Fala saying, “You’re nice. Do you two want to swim with me sometime?” but as she began to translate she stopped herself because of the man’s changed expression.

Risa looked over the man, trying to identify what happened. Suddenl he seemed firmed up and hidden, his hair falling around his head and hiding himself. He echoed back her Avora status, hinting at the problem. Risa’s face became concerned, now seeing the thin scars on his shoulders not that she was closer. Risa wasn’t sure why she upset him with her status, but she was pretty sure the cause was what she had said.

Risa whistled to Fala, a quick call that caused him to whip his head back. Her hand motioned back and he hopped away, flapping back to Risa’s shoulder. She bit her lip and looked away, trying to figure out what to say. Risa looked back, taking a step closer so she could look up into Taln’s eyes. His expression was suddenly so blank. “
I’m sorry. I-“ Risa sighed. Somehow she had offended another Inarta. Risa pulled through her bag and grabbed a bit of dried fish. She broke the pale meat apart, holding a piece up for Fala and then a piece up for Reech.

Fala bonded to me 7 years ago. I was a happy girl, I loved to whistle and dance on deck.” Risa kept talking, just trying to make a beakthrough. “We met on a shore party, a big feast around a bonfire. Those happened often for my pod. Erm, family. It was winter but we were pretty far south so the night wasn’t as chilled. His egg was laid late, in the summer rather than spring, so he still had his pre-flight feathers just like little Reech.

Risa was probably talking a little faster than she meant to, she was never much of a storyteller. She just wanted to make up for what she did. She paused for a moment longer to collect her thoughts. “
He followed my whistling. Hopped out of his rocky nest and played with me in the sand. The older members recognized him as my Tavan, um.. my bonded. His mother also came aboard, it wasn’t unusual to see seabirds use our ships as a temporary home. We’ve been friends ever since.

I know how powerful this bond is. Fala is my best friend, my closest ally. I would do anything to protect him. He means the world to me.” She hoped she was getting at the right vein, she didn’t want to seem like she was bragging. “Please, tell me how you met Reech. You seem as connected to him as I am to Fala. I’d love to hear the story.
Risa Moontide
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Taln on August 28th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Amusement danced around the edge of his eyes, when Fala started his antics. He should be a proud little bird--he was strikingly handsome. The bird seemed to ask him a question and he answered him as he would Reech. He didn't know what the bird was saying, it seemed to need an answer. Nari was as close of a simulation to bird speak anyway so even if the communication wasn't crystal clear, the tone still answered quite well. The large Inarta answered quietly in swift Nari,

"We'll see, handsome little bird. Only the gods know what the future holds."

When the foreigner whistled her bird back, he wasn't sure what to read into it. The woman took a step closer, looking for eye contact.

'Again! Every petching woman on the planet demanded eye contact! They've -got- to be a separate species!' He thought quickly. 'Wait--did she just apologize to me? A dek?'

Taln nodded as if to himself, recognizing that as usual, foreigners didn't recognize the high status they were endowed with. Ignored it even. The large dek sat on the ground to make things easier on Risa. He knew his height usually irritated people. They seemed to think they had to prove their caste superiority over him just because of his sheer size.

Fearlessly, Reech abruptly hopped off Taln's shoulder, which was an enormous and trustful drop for a young fledgeling. Out of long habit, his large hands automatically cupped together to make a soft landing for the baby falcon. It was MEAT! Which to the ear of an Inarta, that was exactly what Reech chirped loudly. The little bird didn't care that he'd made a giant two foot drop from his 'mothers' shoulder, because his 'mother' had caught him safely every time.

Taln couldn't refuse his baby bird a kind gesture of food and raised his hands nearly to the level of his face from where he sat on the ground. Reech curled his strong little talons around the very tips of the man's fingers, ultimately confident that 'mother' would never let him fall as he stretched out his neck to the limit and imperiously demanded food. The young falcon's eyes closed as he swallowed the morsel and tilted his fluffy head to the side as Risa spoke.

When she began sharing her story of how her and Fala had bonded, the copper haired man got caught up in it and he leaned forward, cradling a sleepy little Reech against his chest with his large left hand. It was a small gesture, but it bespoke hours of holding that exact position to offer the bird a heartbeat to sleep against.

In spite of his reluctance to speak, Taln was drawn toward someone else who'd bonded to a bird and understood the depth of trust needed for that to occur. The more she shared, and the fondness in her voice, caused him to drop his nervous defense.

He looked affectionately down at Reech, now sound asleep and just a cute fluff of bundled feathers. Taln had never fully shared Reech's story before, but he sensed she would understand, after her story about Fala. Taln began the story in a deep and quiet voice so as not to disturb the sleeping Reech. His vivid emerald eyes focused on the handsome little Fala and he smiled for a moment, his gaze stroking the beautiful bird's shining plumage.

"I'd been lucky enough to work the Aeries a couple moons ago and I wanted to end the night much like today--with stargazing in peace. When I heard something rattling I looked up and saw a small round something dropping off a ledge directly above my head! I put my hands up in reflex, coz I couldn't even see what was falling. I look in my palms and this tiny, warm little egg just sat there. I wasn't sure what to do at first! I mean, I know that if you touch a wild bird's nest, they'll abandon the egg--but I just -had- to catch it right?"

He looked up at Rista and Fala, pausing for moment, in remembering his confusion then.

"Then I figured that since I caught it, and it was still warm, that it would die without care. So I took it to the Tisuma Baths where it was nice and warm and let the egg sit near the warmth. It was a spring night and kind cool so I wanted to keep it comfy. I didn't have anything to give it a nest so I uh.. I took off my Lontev--my tunic-- and shredded it into a warm soft nest for it. After half a moon, it hatched and me and Reech have been 'mother' and son ever since."

Taln's smile flashed with pride at the molting, sleeping bird in his hand and it made his green eyes gleam with love for the tiny creature.

"There's nothing I wouldn't do for this little one." His statement was simple but heartfelt.
Taln
Ivak's will be done

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next