Hunting For Wings (Sairque)

Aiven requests Sairque's aid in a walrus hunt in order to impress a young Wind Eagle

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Aiven on June 10th, 2011, 3:21 am

9th Of Summer 511 AV

The day had finally come for Aiven and Sairque to hunt bulls down the coast, and honestly...Aiven had never felt so nervous. She had woken up that morning feeling as if her body was being crushed by two adult eagles. The red head had barely managed to bring herself to sit on the edge of her bed, where she was now positioned, head down looking at her shaking hands that rested in her lap.

She inhaled deeply. She could just run. She could always just...run, but then, the fact of not ever knowing what could have happened on this trip would plague her forever. She would take this step by step, she thought. Her eyes roamed over to the small perch where her small eagle, Lucriss sat, waiting and watching her with knowing golden eyes.

She smiled at him weakly, "I know." She stood, dragging herself over to her dresser. Today was going to be hard to handle, most definitely. She didn't even know how she was going to get around. Most eagles only allowed one rider. She didn't want to intrude on an eagle's boundaries when she, herself, did not have one in her defence.

She dressed herself in easy to move in leathers, and secured her knife belt around her waist, checking each sheath to make sure it was holding tight to the small blades, as well her two larger ones. Staring out her single window, where Lucriss had chosen to relocate, her thoughts wondered to the sky, as she unconsciously fastened the neck of her red cloak.

Aiven approached the window, and rested a hand on Lucriss. Her eyes peaked over the edge of the window ledge. What she wouldn't give to be able to fly from here again on Tetheykus's back. Clenching her teeth, and stepping away, and grabbed her bag and started out the door. "The courtyard," was all she said to the small creature before disappearing out the door.

The walk to the courtyard was unbearable, and a few times she even considered not going, but those thoughts were broken when she had finally stepped onto the lush green grasses that told her, it was too late to back out now. She eyed her surroundings. She was alone. Letting out a held in breathe, she let her body relax, and waited.
Aiven
Endal With Lost Wings

Words: 13946
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Sairque on July 23rd, 2011, 10:57 pm

Frolicking in the morning breeze, carried aloft by salt scented air, a lone shadow spiraled high overhead in the first weak beams of sunlight. Gradually it grew and grew, harder to find when passing under the open blue sky than one of the sparsely dispersed fluffy white clouds. As it came closer more shadows flitted through the sky, hunters setting out to enter the dangerous expanse of wilderness in hopes of bringing home a good catch.

They had similar hopes this morning, the Endal/Eagle pair that gracefully caught a perch on the exterior wall of the Courtyard with a great burst from thirty-eight foot long wings. Sai rolled her eyes. Catabasis didn’t want anything to do with carting around a girl who’d lost her Eagle and wasn’t making this easy. Defiantly, the Endal slung a leg over the bird and lowered herself to dangle by the body of the saddle. Hand over hand she descended by the chest straps of the tack until she hung on the lowest section of leather at the ebony Eagle’s belly. Knowing that the landing ten feet below on the hard stone would be painful for her cold-numbed feet, the flight leader cursed her bird and let go. Lingering pain shot through the booted appendages even though the woman let the inertia from the fall carry her backward into a summersault to bleed off momentum.

Rolling to her feet, the flight leader brushed her worn Katinu off as she slowly advanced further into the Courtyard to find her charge for the day. Aiven wasn’t hard to spot. Thick braid a little mussed from the ground-kissing acrobatics of the morning, she motioned the girl to meet her.

“It’s cold today,” she greeted, knowing the girl would understand that she meant it was probably going to stay cold while flying. Yellow eyes flicked over the gear Aiven carried. “Do you need anything before we start out?”

As Aiven answered, Sai nodded and led the way to Catabasis. She’d already snagged medical supplies from Aidara’s stock and one didn’t need much more than the knives the youth already carried.

“You’ll have to ride in the talons,” the wiry woman informed her unapologetically. It was no secret that that was how Catabasis carried ninety percent of those he had to cart around.
"Oneday I wished upon a star
And woke up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me."
Sairque
It's so empty in here

Words: 424341
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2010, 12:15 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Aiven on July 27th, 2011, 1:54 am

Aiven hadn't been standing alone long before she was greeted by the sound of large wings meeting the air, and the sound of steadily approaching footsteps. She smiled at the greeting. It made her feel warm inside knowing that Sairque did not speak to her as though she had never flown before. Aiven turned to the woman. "All I need is my bow and knife." She spoke as the woman led her away until they came upon the spot where her Eagle stood waiting.

Aiven's eyes roamed over the creature, how foreign it was to her eyes, an eagle she had only just met, but the familiarity of the approach was one that brought back memories. Aiven approached the bird cautiously next to Sairque, not forgetting herself. She was not the owner of this eagle, and she knew all too well that the great bird would not let her forget this. Aiven, adjusted her bow strap a little before answering, "As long as it does not drop me, I will not be too worried about my placement."

The red head took that moment to examine the extremely deadly looking talons of the Eagle. It stood there so proud, knowing it was a sight to see for any who were to look upon it. Quickly, she tore her eyes away from it, and made sure her bag and weapons were securely tightened around her body. There was no room for mistakes in the sky, when one wrong move could send you spiraling to your death.

"What is it's name?" She asked, feeling it would be polite to actually know this bit of imformation before setting off with an unknown eagle. She waited patiently for Sairque to answer, and watched the birds featherssway slightly with the breeze.
Aiven
Endal With Lost Wings

Words: 13946
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Character sheet

Postby Sairque on September 4th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Preening, the Eagle paid no mind to the girl at his feet. He did this favor only because Sai felt the need to give the unlucky one another chance. Perhaps she would bond again and prove useful to their society. Perhaps.

Breeze pulling at the thick braid, the austere Endal stopped in front of the meticulous Eagle and clamped a weakly assuring hand over the girl’s shoulder. “Catabasis never drops those that don’t deserve it,” she said in response as well as to give the introduction. Despite the somber delivery, she had meant it to be reassuring and brows furrowed at comment that left much to be desired. She needed to work on that aspect of leadership. Taking herself to task, the woman squeezed Aiven’s shoulder and gave a playful wink to take the sobriety out of the comment.

Leaving the girl to settle her gear, the wiry woman hopped and scurried up the worn tack to settled on the Eagle’s back. Surreptitiously, she glanced down to gauge what affect her attempt at taking the bite of threat out of her words had had.

Catabasis cocked his head and eyed the brave lass for a second, the straightening of his neck provided the only warning before he leapt forward and snatched her up. The way the talons cradled her with firm support evinced his experience with carting humans about in this manner, but no amount of experience could guarantee safety at such a difference between size and strength. Sai, meanwhile, clamped on to the low profile hand cubbies built into the front of the saddle and tightened her legs in anticipation of the great heaves that were integral to the Eagle taking off. Forward and into the air, flight smoothed out for a brief second as the trio fell away from the courtyard. Catching a lava vent, he used the lift to assist his own peace disrupting wing beats.

In the early morning chill, when the ground was still spotted with impenetrable shadows, the trio swooped down the mountain side toward the glittering ocean. As they passed Eagles and caught sight of one or two hunting parties attempting to impress with their skills, the concept of the difficult hunt intrigued the Endal. The challenge beckoned. Finally, Catabasis wheeled around over open water and followed the shore. As Sai had never hunted the beasts before, he eyed the various groupings until settling on a smaller herd of walruses. Bypassing them to avoid starting them, he alit a good five chimes flight inland.

With negligent concern, he opened his talons to allow the woman her freedom however gracefully she could claim it. Sai, meanwhile, slid down his side and set to checking him for any wear or damage to his feathers from the saddle. It would give Aiven time to prepare herself.

“Aiven,” Sai beckoned. “There’s a herd on the beach due south of us. Catabasis says you should take the dominant male, one with several newly healed pink scars on the right side of his head. The rest should scatter when Catabasis flies overhead after you’ve engaged him. I’ll be on shore with you, I think I’m going to get myself a walrus while we’re here.” As Sai finished her ministrations to the Eagle, she turned toward the hopeful lass. A mix of trepidation and exuberance lit those austere features.
"Oneday I wished upon a star
And woke up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me."
Sairque
It's so empty in here

Words: 424341
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2010, 12:15 am
Character sheet