(Lykolav Iron Mine) A Sword for Hire (Arabella)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

(Lykolav Iron Mine) A Sword for Hire (Arabella)

Postby Ursus Umosa on August 4th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Timestamp 10th day of Summer, 509
Location- Lykolav Iron Mine

Ursus and Wren Umosa had travelled to the Lykolav Iron Mine from Sylrias. Ursus was glad to be done of the city, the people, it felt good to get out on the road. He felt that no real headway in their mission of revenge within that place. His mind continued to swirl, never far from the moment of unveiling- when he saw that his master's blood brother was in fact the man who killed him. At the thought of the man he involuntarily tapped the hilt of this Katana with his right index finger. At the thought of what he would do to that man he gripped his smaller wakizashi with his left hand.

Wren was strapped to his back and rode above his large backpack. She dozed off, her head bobbing along with his steps, a little drool falling on one of his broad shoulders. She mumbled something and Ursus wondered about what she was dreaming about. Were they both dreaming of revenge?

But that time must wait. Now he had to deal with the mundane task of making a living.

In his hand he had a piece of paper, a name and price for a job. Pillar Nolson and 200 gold mizas.

He approached the Iron Mine and asked where he could find this Pillar person.
We've got the power to bring you down
Ursus Umosa
Player

Words: 12054
Joined roleplay: July 23rd, 2009, 2:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Re: (Lykolav Iron Mine) A Sword for Hire (Arabella)

Postby Arabella Sintos on August 4th, 2009, 8:00 pm

The sounds of hammers working furiously could be heard by both Ursus and little Wren, miners were hard at work within the Iron Mine, mining the ore and such. It was organized chaos to be certain, various people doing their jobs to the best of their ability. The sound of hammers crushing and chipping away at rock caused the little child to stir on Ursus back and let loose with a cranky wail, showing her obvious displeasure at being awoken in such a way. The cry was lost admist the noise though, though poor Ursus would be right up close since Wren was just behind him, her screams echoing in his ears. If anyone noticed Ursus and Wren, they didn't really let on to it, pretty much ignoring his very presence, there was work to be done after all.

A young human was walking past Ursus when the child let loose with her cry. He was a grimy fellow, his blonde hair hardly seen beneath a haze of dirt and dust, his face covered in dark blotches from working and his gray eyes seemed irritated at the child and her father, well father as far as he was concerned. "Keep it silent." He growled, ready to turn and get back to work, but he halted when the name Pillar was brought up. It was only then he took note of the piece of paper in his hand, he understood now why this man was there and he had orders. "Ah, you're here for the job then, follow me." He allowed his hammer that he had been hefting over his shoulder to fall some and turned the opposite direction he had been heading,

A somewhat wealthy looking human would be found, overlooking the mining, a frown on his regal face as he watched. Pillar was tall for a human, reaching a height of 6'3, his slender frame made him look as though he were a twig able to be easily snapped. Well combed ebony hair reached to just above his shoulders, a silver earring in his one ear. He wore wealthy clothes that looked so out of place in the mines, the look on his face made one believe he was terrified to get dirty. He had reasonable profit here in these mines and so far no one had answered his plea for help, surely someone... "Pillar, someone is here to see you."

Pillar turned quickly to see Ursus and Wren making their way towards him, with one of the miners as his guide. At first Pillar believed Ursus to be some sort of beggar, but hope rose when he saw the paper in his hand. Had someone finally answered the call for help? He waved the miner off dismissively, something the human clearly didn't appreciate, but he didn't argue. He just left them to it. "I am Pillar, how may I help you?" He looked somewhat unsure about the child, what sort of father would bring his child into a place such as this, especially when she clearly didn't like it there.
Arabella Sintos
Living My Life Through Grey Eyes

Words: 24354
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2009, 11:35 pm

Postby Ursus Umosa on August 6th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Ursus turned his head and calmed Wren down. Although she was remarkably well behaved for a child there were still times where she would be startled by the world at large. She was doing well overall considering she had gone through a huge change in her environment.

"Shhh...little one, it will be ok." Ursus said softly. Wren sniffled a little bit more and calmed down. However she was still not that comfortable in these surroundings.

Thankfully it did not take long to find someone to show him to this Pillar fellow. The mercenary and child followed the man after thanking him. Ursus was not interested in the surroundings or the pounding of metal upon stone. A place was a place in his mind.

The Kelvic and child approached the wealthy looking Pillar oblivious to his questioning eyes. Ursus gave the guy a once over and recognized his type- soft but possessing power only through wealth not deeds. Men like this abounded in the city, and while there was always a little bit of resentment he did not judge them- especially now. Ursus was not here to make friends, this man was a job, a meal ticket, nothing more.

Pillar introduced himself and Ursus gave a small bow. He held out the paper.

"The name is Ursus. I have come here because of this." Ursus waited for Pillar to explain.
Ursus Umosa
Player

Character sheet

Postby Arabella Sintos on August 7th, 2009, 2:41 am

Given that Ursus and Wren shared a bond, he knew just how to calm the little child and she trusted Ursus, trusted that he would keep her safe even at such a young age. Her tears were halted and while she was clearly unsettled, she didn't unleash her screams once again, instead she just seemed to look around, such large aware eyes intent on her surroundings. She got a few looks considering her attention-getting ways, but that was all. The sound of hammers and picks striking rock and ore continued as usual, even with the appearance of strangers.

Both the mercenary and the wealthy man looked one another over carefully, weighing the other's worth from the looks of it. There was relief in his eyes but beneath that relief was disdain for the mercenary, he was a poor man after all, making a living off others. Understandably, it was in order to survive, but still, so poor...

Pillar took a look at the paper shown to him as Ursus introduced himself, once again thankful to the Gods that someone had answered it, his problem would be solved soon enough, at least he could hope so. He had made sure that he let those answering the notice know that he only sought those that could handle something very physical. Strength was definitly a factor in this job and while the Kelvic might not look very 'strong' in terms of muscle, he had an aura of power to him and he seemed confident in himself. So he might as well explain. "Ah yes, my need for help." He took a moment to wave off another worker who came to speak to him and he motioned for Ursus to follow him. "First off, I ask that whatever transpires between you and myself during this job stay between us, I do have a reputation after all." Once Ursus agreed, should he agree of course, Pillar would continue. "First off, I wish to say that I am a happily married man with a good reputation and a pleasing wife....but even men such as myself..stray."

"I had another woman who was crazy about me and later on in our 'realtionship' I learned she was just crazy. I broke it off with her...not realizing that she was a Kelvic with an older brother. Since I broke it off with her, she has sent her brother to pester and threaten me, if was just a nuiscance to start but it has escalated to the point that I am unable to leave the Cobalt Mountains to return home for fear of my life. He has killed my bodyguards and I...I just need help." There it all was. "Will you help me with him?"
Arabella Sintos
Living My Life Through Grey Eyes

Words: 24354
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2009, 11:35 pm

Postby Ursus Umosa on August 7th, 2009, 3:21 am

Ursus listened to the man's story. Old habits die hard and part of him felt like running this guy through with his Katana right here and now for his evilness. However times had changed and so had he. Ursus was not a fool and Pillar's claims of innocence in the matter were likely rubbish. Not just likely, but probably.

The unfortunate fact of the matter was he was not a priest, a judge, nor this man's wife. He was a sword for hire. A pledge was made a while ago that this would be his path, he had made it that day while he watched Sir Udan's body dissolve into the earth. He would tread upon the road of revenge, even into the shadows so Wren could walk in the light. Killing did not bother him, but her seeing him do it made him a little uneasy.

Once again he questioned if she should be with him but he did not see another way. Surely the enemies of her family were in pursuit of them both and would be until the day Ursus saw the Black Sun and their lackeys the Ebonstryfe dead and buried. They were drawn into this life by events out of their control and they had only two choices. They could run and hide, afraid of the Mizahar- a life of cowardice. Or they could face their destinies and possibly their death honorably.

"Clarify help." Ursus replied dryly. "If you mean him dead- 200 gold mizas. Maimed 150. Beaten up 75. Those are my rates. Confidentiality and satisfaction are assured. Half before the job, half upon completion. Are these terms acceptable?"
Ursus Umosa
Player

Character sheet