[Gossamer's Scrapbook] The Ethereal Canyon I

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Re: [Gossamer's Scrapbook] The Ethereal Canyon

Postby Alice on March 8th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Dark chocolate is my favorite too ... although I can eat almost anything if I really want/need sweetness. I've actually come across 85% at least one time and remember that I got used to the bitterness after a few bites. I've also tried dark chocolate with bits of oranges or something similar in it and found it refreshing.

Maybe try Fair Trade chocolate next time? It's expensive too, but you really get something for your money. <3
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gossamer on March 8th, 2010, 8:24 pm

I'll try it. I'll try any sort of chocolate once. But I was shocked because Lindt is a great brand. And I can't truly say enough how awful this was. It wasn't a matter of getting used to it. It smelled delicious, but the taste was horrible. I'm actually going to keep it, break it down with some cream and sugar, and put it on something as a topping.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on March 8th, 2010, 8:34 pm

BEHIND

I feel so behind and kinda down today for some reason. I honestly feel like I could sleep a week though I've gotten plenty of sleep lately. I had what I consider a lost weekend. I think its really bothering me working six days a week unless I fill out a vacation slip and take a day purposefully. My boss keeps saying 'It's going to get slow, we need to work while we can." But I don't see the slow periods as exactly slow as during the last slow period I worked more than I did during the 'busy' season. Heh. I could say more but its best not to go off, especially on a public forum.

Saturday I had to work and was pretty tired all day from a week of first quarter busyness. Sunday was lost because I got home at 4 am got to bed at 5 am, and slept four or five hours before I got up and tried to get some stuff done. I had chores, errands up town, and when I finally had dinner and calmed down I found I was really tired and went to bed at 930 pm. I hate that. I never go to bed that early because I can't really sleep longer and of course I was wide awake at 6:45 am this morning. Now that its later in the afternoon, I'm tired again.

Ugh. Just ugh.

Plus, I have all these plans for my PCs, but one I'm sorta feeling is bogged down and trapped out of the way places on an odd path - and I'm not sure how to fix that. Flashback threads maybe? The other one I am feeling I can't pay attention too until I get some of my mod posts done... posts that I don't want to do atm because I always want a 'wow' factor in my moderation and right now I'm lucky if I can describe a storm cloud accurately with the sheer amount of 'ugh' I feel. Anyhow, my plans for one pc is to start a library for her...

The library will consist of a cooking book filled with recipes, her experiences on philtering, and a little notebook of poisons. I'm really excited to get that going as well as meet some new pcs that are coming to Riverfall in the spring.

I also need to get the Valterrian celebration up and running, along with a short audition thread for it. The PCs in Syliras need something to do thats really fun. I just dont know when I'm going to be able too. I have so many writeups that need to be done and are in various stages of being done that I'm sorta at a standstill to finish even one. I start on one, get asked about another, feel guilty about it, start working on the other, and don't finish the first one. I really just need to start posting what I have up and leave it at that instead of waiting until I have the finished writeups done.

Hopefully I'll get caught up soon... but I dont know when that 'soon' might be. A full weekend off might be nice. It certainly would be helpful. I need one productive day and one recovery day from work.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on March 9th, 2010, 10:36 pm

I've been in a swamp mood all week. Distinctive, offensive, untouchable, aloof, dangerous and unfamiliar. Here's one of my favorite songs ever that reminds me so much of a people that once thrived within the most famous swamp in the US ever - the florida everglades. I love swamps because the very nature of a swamp doesn't allow for humanity as we know it to easily penetrate and thrive within its depths. The cultures that could are long gone... with just remains of their presence here and there. I also think, the other reason I love swamps so much is that no matter how we try to manipulate them, their very nature is completely counter to corruption. There is a beauty in the untouchable steadfastness of their nature, don't you think?

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alistair deGrey on March 10th, 2010, 12:17 am

I remember that song from way back in my country days. I even wrote a poem that plagiarized it (before I knew what plagiarism was). However, I was really young and it really was atrocious. xD

Regardless, I both agree with and admire not only the statement but the method in which you stated it. Well, I frankly enjoy any spot with quiet and solitude, but swamps and forests are at the tops of those lists. There is something about forests that can make you feel alone when you know you're only a few miles from a store. Forests and woodlands definitely aren't quite as impervious as swamps, but they are often built around (until people cut them down). But still, I like forests.

But I digress, the way you described the mood you have been in is enjoyable. "In a swamp mood all week." The way you can describe so much with a single sentence is really quite fantastic.

Just saying, Its great.

I'm in a forest mood now. xD
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gossamer on March 11th, 2010, 6:36 pm

A Sigh Of Relief

I started to write this little entry about how everything I've touched has turned to pure shit this week. My main thought was, write it down and thus don't forget it because that way you'll have a meter in which to gauge in later weeks what's truly pure crap and whats just a minor annoyance. But after writing down a long angsty post about all the stuff that has broken (mechanically people - lots of EQ failure at work) this week, I started to look around and think a bit differently. It wasn't really THAT bad. It could have been a lot worse. I was hostling all week. I had help. Sure I've been tired, but I've been a lot more exhausted than this. All the EQ that was down is now up and running and its only Thursday. Sure, I'll probably have to work Saturday, but that will mean extra money in my paycheck.

What the hell Jen? You hate excuses and you hate whiners. You like doers.

What exactly is the point of a big long whiny entry about how bad things are when you are decidedly sick of whining people this week? Don't become one. I'm not whining anymore. I'm tired of the whine. I'm rejecting it as the artform some people decide to make of it. I'm tired of the 'Danger Will Robinson' folks that can't seem to figure out if something is a major issue or if something is a minor issue. I'm REALLY tired of the excuses. I don't honestly need explanations as to why behavior is bad/horrible/cowardly/cliche. I'm tired of snarky comments and false bravado and people that won't see the forest for the trees. I'm also frustrated that people can't seem to see the effort put into producing good writeups and demand to have 'a little more info' on something right away. Things will come in their own good time, and when they do you'll be the first to read about it on the site.

That really has to be all there is too it.

My plan is simple. I'm going to write about things I like. I'm going to write about what interests me and what I feel is my domain. I don't want to do politics, power struggle, and I sure as hell don't want to deal with unskilled badass assassins that have maybe 30 points (if they are totally unskilled everywhere else) in a weapon. Dudes... if your only competent in a weapon, your not a badass assassin in my book. Your a mediocre cut-throat in reality at BEST. Deal with it. Train. Thread. Build yourself up to assassinhood or whatever it is. This game doesn't produce instant badasses right out of the gate. You have to earn it. You have to WRITE for it. Sorry, don't want to always be the bearer of bad news, but its the truth.

I can see it. Almost everyone else can too. Why can't you understand this simple but blatant fact?

There's a lot more things I'm tired of this week. Fawning eyelash batters in beautiful dresses were at the top of my list early on in the week along with men that have grown soft. I'm burdened by unfulfilled expectations which are my own fault and no one else's since the expectations are my own, not theirs, so when they fail to fulfill them it is my own failure not theirs. I'm tired of being a stand-in substitute pc wise for the unobtainable elsewhere. That too is at an end whether those involved know it or not. I'm going to be the person I admire most about me. Firm. Smart. Opinionated. Not waffling. I'm going to take more time for my favorite pcs and do their writing - because as Liminal aptly put it - the whole point of Mizahar was a place for us to write what we loved. We really need to keep writing what we love to keep things loving or else we are going to be bored senseless.

And I'm going to work the heck out of one writeup at a time without distraction or without switching or starting a new one until I get it done, because as you can painfully see, nothing is currently getting done. Webbing is way past due and thats no ones fault but my own. It's getting done this weekend if I have to stay up all night to do it. Enough is enough. If I can't be productive, I'm going to whine. And I hate whining (like I am now) so that is coming to an abrupt halt. Immediately.

And I decided some important things about my moderation future. I'm going to move HQ's from Syliras to Wind Reach and focus there. Syliras is overcrowded and full of people I don't have any connection too as a moderator. They all want to do a thousand different things that has me torn in a million different ways when I really am far better storytelling and writing about something I can inherently focus on. I can do that in Wind Reach. That's going to be my home base, and even as isolated as it is, I'm going tohave a hell of a good time developing it. Just you wait. In the mean time I'll keep plugging away at Avanthal, which in itself is a magical beautiful city I can almost home base there too... but I'm a little more partial to Wind Reach for the concepts it has spawned in my mind.

Maps. Maps are a big issue. So are wiki entries. Before I bail on Syliras, I'm going to make sure it has a city map, and a finished wiki entry completely done before moving on. The Wiki entry is no big deal.. I could sit down and write it before work today... or any day... because its all up in my head. There's no development involved. Maps are a little harder, mainly because I'm intimidated by them and think everyone can do them better than I can.

But, I have my nifty Smartdraw blueprint program and I'll use that to get Syliras finished, throw it through photoshop to give it a great effect, and go to town in it there in textures and colors until everyone is exactly sure they know what the city looks like. It should be fairly easy but time consuming. I don't look forward to that because time (tm) is not what I have right now.

The main problem... the main issue... is putting too much pressure on myself. I need to realize that and rein it back in until I am on a manageable time line again. It's not going to be that hard. It's just going to be that necessary. And above all, I need to keep playing, because thai ts where I absolutely have the most fun.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rhylen on March 11th, 2010, 8:21 pm

Wind reach has intruiged me from the beginning! If you'd like any help on that end - let me know! :D

As for the rest - it's easy to feel suffocated by the pressures we load up on ourselves. Just keep on trucking, the silver lining will give way to a beautiful clear sky soon enough! ;)
Rhylen
Spirit Shaman Initiate

Words: 37571
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2009, 5:56 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Malia on March 12th, 2010, 3:54 pm

That's the right attitude. Remember what you like and focus on that. :)

Of course I can't be sure, but sometimes it seems as if you have a hard time telling people 'no' when it comes to threads. You want to give everyone what they and their character deserve - often even more than they deserve. I know that it's hard, but I think it's better to try to say no to thread wishes that aren't your specialty. (I guess that's the purpose of having ASs, although I don't really have any experience.) Nobody is perfect.

Just a small piece of advice, but I hope you understand what I mean.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on March 12th, 2010, 4:53 pm

It's not that I have a hard time telling people no, Vanessa. It's that I get asked daily, sometimes three or four times, to run threads for people and that becomes difficult at times to keep saying no no no. Syliras is overwhelmed with PCs, and thankfully we have a lot of great mods there now to help with that. But believe me... it's not because I say can't say no. It's just because it gets depressing because that is ALL I can say most times.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on March 13th, 2010, 6:22 pm

To Dream The Impossible Dream
from The Musical "Don Quixote de la Mancha"

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star...

Blurb for the Day

So I'm in an abnormally good mood today because I just called into work and there's no need of me. That's great news because Goss was in need of a lot of rest, and evidently shes getting it today. That means Mizahar gets a lot of work done on it, and I can promise promise promise at least two completed writeups by Sunday night, if not three because of course I'm itching to write up a new subrace I've come up for in regards to Wind Reach. The redheaded Inarta. It should be a lot of fun since I haven't felt this jazzed to write and develop for a while. Anyhow, something Mike said in chat reminded me of Don Quixote which is a lovely story about a crazy old man that fought windmills thinking they were dragons (and about a whole lot more than that). He said something he had to do was impossible... and it might very well be. But a lot of people have done a lot of impossible things, including walking on the moon.

Mizahar was an impossible thing too. We shouldn't exist. We shouldn't be thriving. We shouldn't be having this much fun. So, it makes me think nothing is impossible.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext