Location [Alvadas Location] The Gaping Maw

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Alvadas Location] The Gaping Maw

Postby Corvus on October 21st, 2011, 1:03 am

50th of Fall, 511

Corvus craned his neck trying to take in the massive stone face in front of him. Its eyes seemed to be watching him, narrowing steadily as he got closer. As its gaze swept over him, he felt it passing judgement on him. He squared his shoulders and readjusted his pack; the weight of it was awkward on his back during the day and he was relieved to have finally reached the end of the long road behind him, just as Syna was setting. A small smile tugged his lips.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?” A voice asked, breaking the silence.

He jumped, startled and blinked into the empty air in front of him. "I came here looking for knowledge and training?" Corvus couldn't beleive he'd actually answered into the void. Shaking his head, he mumbled, "I need to get some rest," as he passed through to find a place to lay his worn body.
Corvus
Son of Leth

Words: 11575
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2011, 2:23 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Iliana on October 25th, 2011, 6:50 am

3rd of Fall 511 AV

Looking up, Iliana could see the eyes of the stone face watching her movements. It was an erie feeling, to be watched by something so infallible. Iliana sent a silent prayer to Makutsi as she stepped closer to the stone guardian.

The face almost seemed to turn to look at Iliana as she grew closer, but she knew that this could not be true. Suddenly, a voice rang out clear in the silences, You have come in search of the city of Illusions. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?"

A smile spread across Iliana's lips as she was caught up in the site of a talking stone face. This was, she decided, where she would find her destiny. Gathering her courage Iliana called out, I have come to have my name spoke of by thousands! I have come to make my talents know!

Thus saying, Iliana waited a moment for a reply. When none came Iliana cast a final smile at the face of stone, and with a small wave passed into the City of Illusions.
Iliana
Light Footed and Light Hearted

Words: 69751
Joined roleplay: October 19th, 2011, 5:47 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ambrose Kain on October 25th, 2011, 6:52 am

Fall 30rd, 511AV
Late afternoon

There was a face, a giant face made of stone no less, currently staring at him. No gate, no guards, no discernible method of entering the city of Alvadas, save for that bizarre, mouth-shaped hole, perfectly fitted to admit entry to a man--or to snap closed in front of him, should the wall so choose.

Wait, what was he thinking? Walls didn't choose, they didn't have the requisite sentience to form opinions and pass judgment, not even walls that were carved into human-like faces. Not even walls with eyes that seemed to stare right through a man, down into the essence of him, seeing him for all he pretended to be and all he really was...

All at once, a voice reverberated somewhere within his consciousness, and his first impulse--shamefully unmasculine--was to yelp. Ambrose managed to cut the cry off before it leaked out, but he couldn't stop himself from gawking at the wall and behind himself, frantically trying to determine the source of the voice. Yet even as he twisted to look over his shoulder at the empty road behind him, he knew the answer. Of course it was the wall. After all, as the disembodied voice had just announced to him, this was the City of Illusion. Apparently "illusion" included talking walls.

Well, if this was Alvadas' first Great Wonder to wow visitors with, so be it. As long as the face-thing didn't try to eat him, Ambrose could handle this quite easily. First, naturally, he visibly shook off his spooked expression and replaced it with a smile of perfect gentility and kindness. He didn't know if things like gentility and kindness mattered to a wall, but it couldn't hurt. "Well," he began, in a voice cultured to impress, "Why does anyone come here? I come to see the wonders of Alvadas, of course. I'd like to see the many miracles and wonders this city boasts of with my own eyes."

In retrospect, perhaps he shouldn't have adopted a tone that was quite so haughty. He didn't want to annoy the wall into denying him entry, after all. But it was too late now; the words had already been spoken, and Ambrose very much doubted he'd be granted a re-do, even if he asked in his very nicest way. "Please," he did think to add, though, and afterward sketched an elegant, if slightly self-conscious, curtsey. "If you would be so kind."*
Ambrose Kain
Player

Words: 31992
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2011, 5:19 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Gromhir on October 26th, 2011, 6:51 am

64th Day of Fall, 511 AV

Rain lashed down from the sky. Gromhir could not only see it but feel it. The relentless onslaught of water droplets assaulted his senses. He heard each one crash against the worn path that he had been following causing the dust to bubble up to mud. He could feel his massive paws caked in the brown concoction, sticking his fur together. Coupled with the rain that threw itself against his body and in to his eyes, it wasn't particularly pleasant. But his white coat still shone despite this, Ivaski had to deal with water in their lives on Mura and this was no different. Yet, he looked bedrangled and exhausted. He had travelled almost a full season to do get here and he was almost there now.

What would Kamalia think if she saw him now? The massive white canine whimpered quietly at the thought of her. He was doing this for her. He remembered the day she left so clearly. She had left to learn more about magic and left him with Lyeia to protect him from herself. There was so much pain and sadness on that day. The empathic creature could still feel it now. So much regret was in her heart, Lyeia had said they made the right choice but he had been restless ever since that day. He had done everything Lyeia asked and while it was good to be back with the closest person he had to a Mother, Gromhir watched the road Kamalia had left on every night for hours, waiting for her. He yearned to see her again.

When he had heard talk of this City of Illusions, he wondered if he could find help there. Something, anything that would help Kamalia with her ailment. Something that could help her fight in a world of illusions where nothing was real and there was no danger. Now he was here. The mighty wall rose before him as the rain seemed to stop, leaving his sight clear. The face looked down on him slightly and smiled, its gaping maw opening to ask its question. Gromhir's body broke in to pinpricks of white lights to form his human self. He pulled his white trousers from his pack and pulled his green cloak around him before answering.

"I seek answers and aid for my bondmate," Gromhir replied exhaustedly. He waited for a moment as the face regarded him. Without another word, its mouth opened to allow him to enter.
The world can make you think that everything matters. But all that really matters is that the sun rises and you enjoy what you're given.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Words: 90232
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Donor (1)

Postby Lucaius on November 7th, 2011, 3:50 am

75th Day of Fall, 511 AV
Lucaius pulled back on the reins of his steed and out of his mouth came a low whistle. That was a rather large face. He could feel his horse shift unsteadily and he dismounted looking up at the structure with exposed awe. He had only been to Alvadas once in his life, with his father. And now he had come here again vaguely remembering the same awe he felt now. Naturally he had learned that the face was not just a lifeless stone structure but do to the citizens' of Alvadas love for illusion anything could happen. For all he knew he could walk through the gateway and end up in Avanthal! He weighed his options carefully. On one hand if he had the right mindset he would make it safely into Alvadas, but on the other hand if the city began playing tricks on him from the moment he walked in. No he mustn't let such foolery happen. He had seen to much of the world, he was too disciplined. But his confidence wavered as he thought about it and suddenly the road behind him looked rather endearing. With a sigh he shrugged it off and gently pulled the reins walking beside his horse coaxing it forward. He was then he heard the voice and he winced as it boomed through his skull.

"I've come for supplies and to find a man who may know what became of my father." He answered truthfully looking up into the face of the wizened statue. Lucaius had grown to respect the wonders of ancient times, they held untold wisdom in which out of curiosity he was eager to discover said wisdom. He sighed as the mouth allowed him to pass. "It is an honor to be found worthy of one so wise." He added with a small bow and passed through to the city of Alvadas, ready to face what wonders it may hold.
Lucaius
Player

Words: 1702
Joined roleplay: November 1st, 2011, 4:50 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Ainyi on November 10th, 2011, 3:26 am

78th day of Fall, 511 AV

It was eerier than expected.

Ainyi was never good with silence when sentient beings were involved. Others would argue she was horrid with silence entirely, but she was not one to fill silence with her voice. But as the caravan that led her approached the ever widening mouth and the eyes that grew more and more piercing as she approached, she could not help but feel her shoulders tense under her falcon Braghna, or her legs squeeze around Halik's belly a little tighter. The horse pawed impatiently at the stop-and-start of the line into the city, mimicking the antsy response of his owner. Realizing her effect on her steed, she dismounted and led his reins, Braghna hovering above during the exchange before she whistled to him to rest on her forearm.

"A new home?" She thought to herself, scoffing a little. Why her mother sent her here, she had no idea. She felt the intensity of the eyes upon her growing as her turn in the line approached, making her only tighten her grip on the reins more. After a while, she brushed her free hand over Braghna's chest feathers, hearing some reassuring clicks from the bird.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

Having no prior experience first hand with magic, Ainyi was at first to shocked to answer. To hear a voice in her head other than her own was jarring, even when she had expected it. She began to answer in Nari, before shaking her head and rephrasing in Common.

"To...to start life over, where men start over every day," she answered shakenly. She couldn't remember, or care at the moment, if she was meant to answer mentally or aloud. Regardless, she felt as though the answer was acceptable as she passed hesitantly into the great unknown.
The gorgeous boxcode above was made by the lovely Edreina.
Ainyi
Player

Words: 131991
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2011, 3:48 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Arrow on November 18th, 2011, 2:23 am

Fall 60, 511 A.V.

Arrow’s hand slipped to the worn cape draped over Trouble’s thin shoulders. The sun would soon enough dip below the horizon, but he wasn’t in a particular hurry because of the approaching night. His daylight form was a bit shorter, a wee bit thinner than when he became a true son of Leth. But his clothes would still fit him well enough, unlike some of his kind who had to be quite careful of changing forms in public. He increased his pace though, pulling Trouble close as they hurried along. It was unusually chilly, and he knew the too short cape was threadbare and would not provide much warmth as Syna exchanged places with her lover. Trouble looked up at him, her expression unconcerned. “I’m fine.” She said, her brow wrinkling. “Walking keeps me warm.”

The blonde headed young man smiled down at her. “Well, then, shall we run? Or will you drop your precious mushrooms if we do that?”

Giggling, she was already leaping from his side, rushing through the gate, that stood open and silent – this time. Its moods varied. Apparently without bothering to think why, turning to the left she rushed off. Looking back over her shoulder, she laughed and called out, “Come on slowpoke!”

The excursion just a short way outside the odd city hadn’t tired Arrow in the least. With a small smile for the stone face that was now as familiar to him as his own, he sprinted forward. Within just a few strides, he easily caught her up, content to follow her as, somehow, her bird like homing instinct seemed to always trump the confounding, ever shifting streets and buildings of Alvadas. Unerringly, she ran on through the labyrinth and effortlessly brought them to the narrow, blue door of their abode. The paint was peeling and the knocker hung slantwise on its hinges, but for Arrow, it was a sight that always made him smile. A home. At long last. continued here
Arrow
long ago, how did I forget . . . holding you

Words: 43972
Joined roleplay: November 16th, 2011, 7:14 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Almech on November 19th, 2011, 4:16 am

90th of fall 510

Almech had seen this large structure at a distance before, but never up close like this, it was massive and scary, if he wasn't in a cage drawn by horses he would've ran. He heard about how it would look at you as you approached it but he didn't believe it up until now, he thought it was just a tall tale. Indeed it did look upon his battered and beaten malnutritioned form, Almech let out a short whimper just before it spoke.

"You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

Shale, Almech's captor let out a loud laugh "Oh please! I'm no stranger here, you see this here?". He elaborately gestured toward Almech "You're lookin at my newest meal ticket right here, that's right! this boy here is going to be a champion!". Almech couldn't believe it, it spoke too? and he wondered in the back of his mind about Shale "it's going to be really irritating if he's like this all the time". With the crack of a whip the horses moved forward into the gaping maw, entering the city of Alvadas
When i'm thinking
"When i'm talking"
Almech
Just a Dog

Words: 92325
Joined roleplay: November 17th, 2011, 2:56 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Desdemonia on November 28th, 2011, 12:18 am

18th Winter, 511 AV

Desdemonia had always wondered what Alvadas was like. She had heard tales from travelers and sailors about the city of Illusions ever since she was a little girl. When she left the island of Mura to travel and (hopefully) get a better understanding of the world, the first and foremost thing on her mind had been where to go. She couldn't Just keep wandering around in the wilderness. Desdemonia knew how lucky she had been to avoid trouble so far and she wasn't eager to try her luck any further. So she had followed the few signs and directions she could find, sometimes getting closer, sometimes farther from her ultimate goal; Alvadas.

Eventually, after 2 full seasons of traveling, she'd got here. With a small 'thunk' Desdemonia sat on the ground. I finally did it she thought, half proudly, half shocked. Now I just have to get in. Circling the city, she soon came to the entrance, if it could be called that.

Squinting at the statue, Desdemonia moved closer. Huh. Looks like it's watching me. When it spoke, she very nearly jumped out of her pants. “You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?” It asked, its eyes seeming to look right into her. I wonder what it sees Desdemonia thought with a small wry smile.

"I am here to see who I am not, and therefore who I am. I also seek an audience with the goddess Ionu" she said, trying to sound more sure than she was.
Last edited by Desdemonia on December 3rd, 2011, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desdemonia
Player

Words: 1587
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2011, 3:26 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet

Postby Blaze on November 28th, 2011, 11:27 am

89th of Fall, 511AV

A chocolate coloured horse watched the gaping mouth that was the entrance to Alvadas from a distance. She shifted her weight nervously before slowly trekking forwards. She thought to herself to change into her human form.

Blaze shifted into her human form and quickly pulled off her pack which had been hanging around her neck. She quickly downed her clothes and crepted forwards slightly. Her leaf filled wavy brown hair fell infront of her face and she quickly flicked it back. She only kept it long in accordance with the Drykas way.

She jumped over a single rock that had been in her way and glanced around with her bronze eyes before walking right up to the structure. She jumped as it spoke and stepped back a little but was not daunted.

'You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?' It said.

Blaze instantly replied, 'I am here to seek the safety of a city.' Her ruffled hair billowed lightly in the air before she strolled forwards and entered Alvadas. She shrugged her shoulders sending ripples down her cloak assuming she could pass through.
Blaze
Blazing Heart

Words: 11868
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2011, 9:41 am
Character sheet

PreviousNext