Location [Alvadas Location] The Gaping Maw

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[Alvadas Location] The Gaping Maw

Postby Seidaku on April 28th, 2011, 10:16 pm

Time stamp: 89th day of spring, 511 A.V.

Walking slowly and with a slight limp from a blister on his left foot that elicited a slight limp every time it struck the ground, Seidaku made his way back toward the gates - well, gate - of Alvadas. With the weather as pleasant as it was, he had taken a rare break from his studies to take a stroll around the countryside outside the Barrier. He found that periodic jaunts like this one kept him grounded and undistracted by the shifting chaos of the interior of the city.

And every time, he thought with a wince as his left foot hit the ground, I say I'm going to get a better pair of shoes before the next one.

As he neared the Maw, he pulled up short as it failed again to open as he neared. "Really," he muttered under his breath, rubbing at an itch on his nose with his thumb and leaving a small patch of black ink, "After all this time, you would think it would know me..."

Almost as though it were in response to his words, a disembodied voice spoke from the Maw, "You are know, Seidaku. Enter."

"Oh, well... umm, very well then," he said with an embarassed cough as the Maw seemed to rotate around itself and draw open. Not for the first time, and certainly not for the last, he wondered at the Maw. Passing into the shadow of the Barrier, he considered the possibility that there was no Maw, and that even the presence of the Maw was an almost impossibly intricate illusion covering intricate clockwork mechanisms actually operating the gateway into Alvadas. It was the same conclusion he came to every time, but he smiled to himself again at the logic of his conclusion.

Safely back inside the Barrier, Seidaku turned toward his home. Quickly losing himself in the twisting and shifting corridors of the city, he would occasionally pause with his eyes closed before turning abruptly and heading in a different direction when things melted together into a new configuration.

Taking another turn seemingly at random, he thought to himself idly, I really need to buy a new pair of shoes before I go for another of my walks.
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Words: 140247
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Ulric on June 1st, 2011, 1:08 pm

68th of Summer, 511 AV

Ulric strode down the rocky track, dark eyes glinting as they surveyed his surroundings. He was almost there. He felt a balmy sea breeze brush against his heavily bearded cheeks, carrying the faint scent of brine. For once, the muscles of his stomach relaxed. He lowered his heavy crossbow, removing the length of whipcord from its catch and stuffing the pointed quarrel back into the quiver that dangled from his waist. Ionu, as far as he knew, was not among his friends, yet neither had the god shown itself as his enemy. “We are not so different, I think,” he remarked to Desank. “Ionu seeks to confuse, as we must for as long as we desire to draw breath, and these obfuscated truths seethe with such myriad prospects. A thing can be many different things; it can be improved, or damaged, or even changed entirely. That much is certain. There is no doubting the bounds of this deceptive power. The god may only sow falsehoods, but it remains a shrewd manipulator – only to be dealt with warily, or better yet, not at all.”

“Jao adnw the onadn, aein qwub no webb.”

“We must embrace the illusion,” Ulric said. He was aware of the inherent danger in making a pact with Ionu, but he had to embrace the risk. He suspected he would be safer in this city than any other. Even so, it was only a matter of time before the gnosis-bearing killers came for them. Krysus surely knew his secret and Rhysol would not be far behind. Vayt, Sagallius, and the others would surely come for him if they ever caught wind of what he would to become. Xhyvas, if we eluded your would-be slayers once before, we can surely do so again, Ulric frowned. He was scared, that he could not deny, but he was also defiant. He was weary of being toyed with by the gods.

Coming to a fork, he took the broader path, holding to the road until it came to a towering rampart of unmortared stone. There was a huge face carved into the rock, the features crude, yet at the same time, strangely real to his eyes. “Udandn aon audbf odnnn mewu,” chattered the gasvik.

Ulric gave the head a long, searching look. “What the petch are you grinning at?” he growled. He’d seen his fair share of unusual, and from the way those heavy stone lips twitched, he was fairly certain he wasn’t facing a mere carving.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion,” said the head. “Tell me, stranger, what do you seek?”

“Some cheap tricks, that’s what.” Ulric gave his bearded chin a good, satisfying scratch. “How much detail would you like in my response? I’m hungry and I want food. I haven’t had a woman for a while, so I’d also like one of those, if it’s not too much trouble. And, of course, I don’t want a red smile.” He stared up at the stone head, his lips curling into a facetious grin. “Go on, ask me again – I remember what I wanted to say before.”

“Welcome to Alvadas,” the head replied after a long, tense moment, and then there were cracking noises as the rocks began to crumble, exposing the street that lay beyond.

“Slut.” Having said his piece, he strode past the gaping maw, into what he hoped was safety.
Last edited by Ulric on August 28th, 2011, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Words: 629666
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2010, 5:51 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Dra-Sinsa on June 17th, 2011, 8:34 pm

20th of Summer, 511 AV
She had been walking for an hour, crossing the few miles to get to the City of Illusion, as some called it. Now, just how did you get into the city?

Sinsa walked slowly up the path, grumbling as she thought of her comfortable tent behind her. She didn't want to stay in an actual city near people, preferring to be a loner of sorts and be on her own, away from the hustle and bustle.

Upon arriving near a large stone face, she stopped when she heard the strange voice, then looked around, eventually letting her gaze fall upon the stone face.

"I seek for a place to come and go as I please, where I can avoid people if needs be, and not be judged."

A few seconds later, she felt a wrapping of calm wash around her and with a reluctant glance back in the direction of her makeshift camp a couple of miles off, and cautiously walked inside the maw and prepared to do anything to get some breakfast.
For every tear I shed, a day disappears from my life.
Dra-Sinsa
Player

Words: 4988
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2011, 9:28 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Fela Meason on June 26th, 2011, 7:18 am

10th day of summer, 511 AV

Oh great, where am I? Fela thought to herself as she stared blinking into the sun. She shifted uncomfortably feeling the twigs and branches of the bush she was laying in scrape and poke her tender flesh. From the vast amount of discomfort and the breeze she could feel in all of her unmentionable regions she concluded she was completely nude. A quick glance confirmed her suspicions.

Lovely. She muttered as she wiggled free from the restraints of the foliage with a heavy sigh. She looked around to take in her settings and clear her foggy mind. Arms over her head she stretched, easing the tension built up in her muscles. The area was rocky and had a spattering of trees. Not much to look at, but that wasn't saying much. A sheer rock face loomed in front of her vision and seemed to stretch on for an eternity.

A quick glance behind her rewarded her with a view of the coast. A small passenger boat sat parked at the dock complete with a very disgruntled looking sailor staring directly at her.

Fela placed a hand on her hip and returned the mans stares with a stern look on her face. After a few moments he looked away and pretended to busy himself with checking the pile of ropes that were carelessly tossed beside him.

Satisfied she won the staring contest Fela returned to surveying the area around her and was met with a most unusual sight, a set of stone eyes pierced into hers as if looking for her soul. The face was carved directly into the side of the rock face.

I'm sure that was not there just a moment ago...

She crept closer to the rock face with one eye brow raised for a closer look. The closer she walked towards the massive structure the more it seemed less like a rock and appeared more alive somehow. It seemed to breathe when she took a breath, twitch and almost seem to smile along with her.

She stopped dead in her tracks as a booming voice rang out into the stillness of the woods

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

Fela smiled up at the strange rock and replied

I don't know buddy, why don't you tell me. To be completely honest I couldn't tell you my name if you asked me for it. All I know is I would looove to get away from the leering eyes of the creep over there by the docks. Think you could help me out here friend?

She swore she could hear a distant chuckle rolling away on the wind moments before a thunderous crack killed the silence of the forest and the massive jaws of the stone face lowered to the ground to reveal a gateway to what could be found beyond it gaping jaws. With a confident waggle in her step the Kelvic waved a cocky little goodbye to the sailor at the docks and strode into the city hopeful it could answer the many questions rattling away in her brain.

This is Fela talking, This is Fela thinking, This is text, and This is someone else talking.
Fela Meason
Silly little cat

Words: 149056
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2011, 3:31 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Clarity Tess on July 2nd, 2011, 9:29 pm

Timestamp: 12th of Summer 511 A.V.

There was never a time when Clarity was not happy to see the stone face of the Gaping Maw. The sun was starting to set, casting shadows on the stone features and highlights on other spots of the rock. She stood and admired it for a short while. She had only spent two days from Alvadas and found herself missing it the moment she left. The stony face peered at her with its eyes, fallowing the movement of a squirming pouch at her side. Maya poked her head from the brown sack and wiggled free. Scooping her up with one hand, Clarity smiled.

“I have returned oh Stone One!” She exclaimed loudly, flourishing her cloak dramatically. “And I have brought with me a terrible beast!” Thrusting the kitten in the air she showed the supposed “terrible beast,” which currently wriggled in her grip. Maya let out a tiny hiss at being handled in such a way which only resulted with more of Clarity’s antics. Laughing deafeningly the girl placed the kitten back in the brown leather pouch.

“Never fear! The brute is under my control and shall not harm my wonderful city!”

If rocks could sigh Clarity was sure the Gaping Maw would. Every time she entered the city she would put on a little show like this for the stone face. It always replied the same way and by now she sure that the only thing the rock was capable of was its job. Never once had the boulder reacted to her behavior besides the usual.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusions. Tell me stranger, why are you here?” It spoke.

Becoming quite upset that the rock did not know of her she pointed a finger at it accusingly.

“Hey! I’m no stranger! I live here!” There was no response so she added, “I’m Clarity Tess, keeper of the horrifying beast, Maya!” She opened her mouth to add more when the rock sprang to life and crumbled as it allowed her access. Perhaps it grew wary of her games.

Letting out a loud “Hmph,” she walked through and onto the paved street grumbling along the way.
Posting schedual:
Solia and Clarity: Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday
Osakis and Rue: Monday, Wednsday, Friday
Clarity Tess
Owner of one mean kitty

Words: 11379
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 5:29 pm
Character sheet

Postby Hayii on July 3rd, 2011, 12:07 am

Timestamp: 26th of Summer 511

Hayii stood outside the city's walls, watering the tired horses while her owner was inside the city, trying to find somebody willing to buy the goods in the big wagon the horses had pulled here. Of some reason, he hadn't wanted to take it with him and had at last convinced himself that he trusted his slave enough to let her watch after it. She was determined to do a good job; after all, making the master satisfied with her was the way she'd made him give her shoes for this long journey which she'd had to walk to not tire the horses needlessly. Also, what use would it be to run away? She'd tried it when she was younger, and he'd caught her; just thinking about what he did to her afterwards gave her an almost irresistible urge to flinch, but she held it back with all her might. Showing weakness was never smart, not even when she thought she was alone.

When she was done giving the horses water and food, she straightened her back and finally allowed herself to look up. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the stony face in the wall - it looked so human and alive... She looked away. Curiosity might not have killed the cat, but it certainly got you punished if it showed up at the wrong time. She looked back at the horses, searching for something to do, and found it in her owner's backpack. She picked it up and started washing the dirty leather.

And that's when she heard it.

"Like a morning when sun rises, glowingly bright..." It was a voice ever so distant, coming from somewhere behind the face on the wall. It was a voice of safety and warmth, singing in the language of the stories, the stories about volcanoes, birds and mountain ice, and it was singing for her. Her mother's voice.

Hayii sleepwalkingly went towards the voice. When she came to the wall, the stone face asked her why she was there. She was so immersed in the dream it was to hear the voice again that she didn't even find it weird; she answered in a dreamlike tone that she was going to find her mother, and the face opened its mouth and let her enter.

She came to a square full of people, their noise drowning her mother's voice. It came from this direction, she thought and continued ahead. She can't be far away... She started to run.

The young woman was so focused on this illusion of a voice that she didn't notice that the road was suddenly paved with tiger fur before she tripped over a red turtle and fell face first down on it.

As she lay there, her thoughts cleared enough for her to realize what she'd done. Pure panic washed over her face, not even daring to imagine what her Master would do to her now. She'd gone from her job, leaving the horses and the cart for anybody to take, and... Oh shyke. Shykeshykeshykeshykeshyke. She still had the backpack in her hand. Well, no doubt about what that would look like, and she hadn't even been trying to flee, but good luck explaining that, you idiot! What the shyke were you thinking!?!

Okay, relax. There still is a tiny chance he hasn't noticed anything, and even if he has, having to be caught here like I had actually been trying to escape certainly won't make it easier for me. I'll just go back and take it from there. Yes. That's what I'll do.

The girl turned determinedly around. The wall was no longer there.
Hayii
"Runaway" slave

Words: 19971
Joined roleplay: June 29th, 2011, 11:23 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Laute on July 25th, 2011, 5:27 am

Timestamp: 18th day of Summer 511 AV

Laute gazed vacantly at the statue as it spoke, its words meaning nothing to him. All that mattered was that he would have to walk through its mouth--instead of eating, this time he was the one who would be swallowed.

It annoyed him in ways he could not explain.

Beside him, Aditi remained silent, sitting on her horse as she waited for him to speak. He could read the fatigue in her, they have been traveling long enough for him to recognize the signs.

That didn't matter as much as the slight smells he could detect from behind the stone wall. Food, in the form of creatures and cooked meals, lay there.

His wings shifted slightly around him, in anticipation, the cloak they made on his body rippling.

Realizing the statue would not let him pass until he spoke, he finally uttered, "Food."

That simple word was enough for the stones, as he heard the stones shift and shatter so that the mouth opened, the gaping maw large enough to pass through. Without hesitation, he entered the black void, brief anger flitting across his features.

No body else would eat him.
Laute
Player

Words: 75446
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2011, 6:35 am
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Syndela on July 27th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Timestamp: 27th day of Summer 511 AV

The night was a starless sky, clouds obscuring the masses of peppered white sparkles that would had once laced the canopy of the heavens. A thick curtain of grey thunder had smothered from horizon to horizon, heralding of the rain that was to arrive in only a matter of minutes. Foretelling the call of nature wasn't difficult when the rain smelt of a murky sweetness, a dampness that was congenial to that of the underground streams that still could be palpable in her dreams.

Bare feet made not a sound as they paced under black robes, the delicate material blending with the passing shadows as The Gaping Maw came into sight. Looming masses of stone arched over the ascending path, blocking the entrance with a gargantuan face that seemed all too real for it's own good. Seeing such magic fuelled her inhabition, the drive to face the treasure that laid beyond the walls.
Alvadas, the city of illusion, mirrors and unkempt sanity. A safeguard away from the trecherous forests and rolling hills that hid many dangers both seen and unseen. Phenomena, paranormal; the city had it all. It was the place she had been travelling for days to reach, a place where she could hide and playout her work without distraction.

Red eyes veered out from the dark slope of ebony fabric, fixing upon the face that stared down at the thin form that approached.
You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?” The face boomed as Syndela came to stop at a safe distance away. Foundations of rocks split and molded together as it spoke, pebbles falling from it's bottom lip to add to the many under it's maw as it was chipped away - though the rock still seemed solid - neverending.

White fangs exposed as the pale lips parted, lightly catching in the dim forecast illumination from the clouds. " I am here because it is what I have yearned for. I am here not because I wish to change my ways....but for how my ways will change me. "

The cold structure raised it's brow to ascern the Symenestra with a curious gaze as she spoke in a smooth and cool tone akin to the cold trickles of water descending smoothly down a rock face.
" Very well, young one, the doors to Alvadas will open unto you..." Abating the brisk conversation between itself and the predatorial female, the structure opened it's mouth. Thick lips widenned until passage broke through the back of it's throat, enticing the robed figure to tread silently beyond the gnarled stone teeth.

Alvadas had called to her, and it was time she called back.
Syndela
Aerobatical Dancer of Alvadas

Words: 53078
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2011, 3:11 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Rafaelle on July 28th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Timestamp: 28th day of Summer 511 AV

He did not know where to go but he trusted his instincts... as well as the conveniently many footprints left imprinted on wider roads he chose to follow. Seldom anything went wrong when using this method of traveling alone. Rafaelle was told of a wondrous city with ever-changing streets but the directions always remained vague, or perhaps he was not listening attentively enough and was forced to resort to blindly tracking through the muddy paths. Every new crossroad presented him with a choice and only worked to stir his doubt and anxiety further. Had he been taking the right path all along? Perhaps he was going in circles? Or worse, away from his destination.

He looked up to the skies above, into the vast darkening gray. It was hard to discern whether it was an early morning or evening. Such knowledge was beyond him at this point for he could even barely remember from whence he came. A few small droplets of rain tickled his cheeks. As if the chilling wind blowing from unknown directions was not enough he was also at risk of being showered and bound into wet freezing clothes, divesting him of his only shelter that kept his body protected from the cold. The unpleasant thought coerced the fledgling rogue to fasten his pace despite the aching doubts that perpetually pestered his mind. In the distance there was nothing but obscuring mists that could not be seen through.

Finally, after stooping and nearly tripping over(saved by the traveling stick he picked up on the way) with his face down into the mud, Rafaelle witnessed how something darker formed itself in the mist ahead. As he came closer, the edges of the stone ramparts sketched themselves against the blurry gray skies on both sides of a strange statue that he could not quite distinguish from the rest of the wall.

The noble countenance of some unknown deity was carved into stone and despite its lifelike appearance, only the eyes, aglow with amber colour, seemed to evince of some otherworldly intelligence beyond the hard texture of cold stone. The burning of its orbs served as a certain sign for Rafaelle to stop and freeze in his tracks. And then it spoke to him as well.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

The air was still like the calm before the storm. And a storm was indeed brewing somewhere above. Yet Rafaelle stood there like a statue himself, stupefied by the fact that it could converse in this strange genderless voice. After a minute of awkward silence, he dared to ask:

"Were you not going to puzzle me with... a riddle? Or some... other trial?"

The weary traveler strengthened his grip around the wood of his stick. It served him well for hours or even days, but it would do little against this celestial avatar should he engage in mortal combat with it. Although he might be able to poke out its eye. Yes, that seemed like a plausible option, he thought.

The man could have sworn he caught a glimpse of familiar docks somewhere behind. Perhaps he walked in circles after all. But the young thief was torn from his thoughts and sobered by a sudden shower of cold rain before he could pity himself for such a folly. Massive curtains of water veiled the horizon and he could barely see anything but the vigilant eyes of the eternal guardian, still peering at him. They mirrored infinite wisdom and patience. Perhaps there was no catch after all?

"I simply want food and shelter, what else?"
He yelled resentfully through his chattering teeth, hoping that the statue will hear him despite the constant drumming of raindrops upon the soiled grounds. Suddenly, he heard a sound of stone being ground against stone and before him opened a path past the jaws of the guardian.

As unsettling as it was to willingly waltz into a giant mouth, he had little choice in the matter. With his feet hastily splatting through the many puddles formed below, Rafaelle ran to meet Alvadas.
Rafaelle
Fresh Blood, be nice

Words: 39889
Joined roleplay: July 28th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Character sheet

Postby Ssafirsotibones on August 3rd, 2011, 2:38 am

5 Summer 496

Coming upon Alvadas, Bones was finally at a city, a place he could stay. It was not the most normal of places, but it was were he planned to call home for a time. And so he went to the entrance to the city, in his human form, to the gaping maw.

As it questioned him on why he was there, he looked up at it, and spoke in his slow, sibilant voice.

"Me... I am here for a place to live.... It ssseemsss nice, and would be a good fit for me... And sssomeone asss I... Would do better in a place were people cannot trussst ssere eyesss...."

Having said this, it seemed that he had answered well enough. Walking onward, he went through the mouth, and to the city. It would be a nice place to stay, not that he cared that much of were he was...
Bones is a Constrictor Dhani. He likes to eat meat. He also has some speech problems.

When he speaks, a double s (ss) means a [th] sound, that he cannot say.

A triple s (sss) means just an [s], but it is extended in his speech.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Words: 440799
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2011, 5:37 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext