[Mikkeyla's Journal]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to start IC Journaling in this forum. Each character is allowed threads here where they can store notes they learn IC, facts, or even talk about their feelings and inner thoughts. Journals don't need to be in written form, they be anything you as a player thinks suits the personality of the Characte.r

[Mikkeyla's Journal]

Postby Mikkeyla on October 19th, 2011, 11:59 pm

Recipes, Letters and Events

Herein this Journal, I have put to mind to collect the knowledge I have been offered by others, as well as that which I have found for myself through much observation and thought.

Please take caution in making use of the remedies and recipes within, as they are general and the results may vary depending on personal ailments and illnesses. Upon handling severe cases, please try to contact a healer before resorting to use of these measures.

Mikkeyla
Easy does it

Words: 18696
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

[Mikkeyla's Journal]

Postby Mikkeyla on October 20th, 2011, 12:44 am

Mead

1 Blade of Mace
6 qts. of Water
2 1/2 lbs. of Honey
1/2 teas. Cinnamon Powder
1/2 teas. Grated Fresh Ginger
2 Cloves
2 Eggs

Directions:

Put the 6 quarts of water into a pan; add the honey, cinnamon, mace, ginger, cloves, and the beaten whites of the eggs. Heat, and whisk frequently, until the mixture comes to a boil, then simmer gently for an hour.

When lukewarm strain into a cask and add a small tablespoon of yeast, and cover the bung-hole with folded cloth until fermentation stops.

Bung the cask tightly, and bottle the Mead in Three seasons' time.

Bug Repellent Oil

1 part fresh pennyroyal
1 part fresh thyme
1/2 part fresh basil
Citronella oil
Olive oil

Directions:

Pick your fresh herbs. Manually remove any dirt then set them in a sunny place until the herbs are wilted.

Using 1/4 cup as your part, measure 1/4 cup of pennyroyal and thyme, and 1/8 cup basil into a lidded pot. Pour in enough olive oil to cover the herbs plus another inch of oil (approximately 1 cup). Place the pot on low temperature and heat the herbs for about 3 bells.

An alternative way to prepare your oil extraction is to place the herbs in a clear glass jar and set it in the sun for about five days. Shake it once or twice a day.

When you have finished heating your oil, strain your oil through a cheesecloth lined strainer. Squeeze out as much oil as possible. Add drops of Citronella oil.

Pour into bottle and label.

Moth repellent

Directions:

In a small sachet or small sock or nylon toe stuff dried tansy, yarrow, cedar shavings or a few drops of essential oil of cedar. Close off and hang in your closet or put in your drawer to repell moths

Rose Handcream

2 tsp. beeswax pastilles
2 tbsp. lanolin
1/3 cup wheat germ oil
1/3 cup rose water
3 drops rose oil

Directions:

Place beeswax and lanolin in clay or glass jar,set in boiling water. Stir with glass rod to melt and blend. In steady stream slowly pour in wheat germ oil, stirring constantly with glass rod.

Add rose water a little at a time, stirring until mixture thickens. Let mixture cool to just above boiling temperature. Add 3 drops of rose oil; stir thoroughly.
Remove from water bath to cool. Stir mixture thoroughly while cooling, until cream thickens and becomes smooth and white.

While cream is still warm, fill clean jar with small spoonfuls. Stored sealed in a cool place.

Cream will last for 3 months.

Mikkeyla
Easy does it

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

[Mikkeyla's Journal]

Postby Mikkeyla on October 20th, 2011, 1:13 am

83rd of Summer, 510 AV

Dear Father,

Summer has come and gone once again, and the time for harvest draws near. The weather has been beautiful lately and so far the rains have been light and mild. I believe that there will be plenty of food to go around for all of us, perhaps even enough to sate the people in town as well.

Granny is well again after her small bout of cough, and well is also all the others here in the village.

Perrant and Sika, our closest neighbors you remember, has been blessed with child and we believe that she will be due sometime in Winter this year. I look forward to it, and at the same time I cannot help but remember how bad things can go. I pray to Caiyha for everything to go well, for Sika is a dear friend of mine.

Will you be coming home in time to help with the harvest this year, Father? They have been asking for you in town, as do the Knights that patrol the area. It would be such a relief if you would come home for a while and display yourself, so that we don't have to fear for the right to live in this cottage. While I am fully capable of taking care of the duties on the fields, your dear Mother is growing older and cannot carry as heavy burdens as before.

I picked up a kitten when it town last week. It is a small male, silver and gray in the coat and with the most adorable chubby nose that I have ever seen. I am hoping that when he grows, he will be able to help us keep the mice away from the house. They went hard on the grain this summer, but with the plentiful harvest it shouldn't be much of a problem.

We miss you dearly here at home. Are you faring well with your work, how are your health holding up?

We received your last sending of Miza, though the letter was damaged in places and nigh impossible to read. In my opinion the Knights ought to establish a better post order between the outposts, or we will no doubt be unable to keep contact with one another in no time at all.

I hope you stay well, and that you come home to us soon. It has been two seasons since last time, and we would so very much like to see you again.

Granny sends her love, as do I.

With Love

Mikkeyla Rivver

Mikkeyla
Easy does it

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook