[Discussion] The Laws Of The Drykas & Their Traditions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Re: [Discussion] The Laws Of The Drykas & Their Traditions

Postby Sefra on March 30th, 2010, 11:13 pm

I'd like to contribute, if I still may!

I don't think there should be an actual law against marrying outside of the Drykas, but I do feel a taboo there (see my character sheet for what I did with this notion).

I wonder if it would be sensible or practical for each of the clans to also have their own laws? For instance, the Diamond Clan might consider the trading of weapons and knowledge regarding combat in the Sea of Grass as tantamount to betrayal and be punishable by banishment or death?
Sefra
Player

Words: 13783
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:20 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Hex on March 31st, 2010, 12:55 am

I love that idea, maybe like 3 or 5 extra rules for each clan ontop of the drykas rules.
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Words: 169721
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2009, 4:57 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Gossamer on March 31st, 2010, 7:36 am

This reminds me to actually add these into the Wiki. In the light that I prefer to maintain creative control over the Drykas (beings that I wrote them and created the sea of grass scenarios for this subrace), I feel its really important to unite the whole of the grasslands under seven common rules. I feel a bit edgy about having them being written up as worshiping different gods in different clans (not sure who suggested that but I really disliked that idea because it strayed from the original ideals of the clan). Truthfully their big three is Caiyha, Semele, and Zulrav... and really not too many others. So.. in that light here's the rules... as added too the wiki.

The horseclans of Cyphrus are united under a solid set of common laws. The laws do not differ among the clans but instead remain firmly seeded in seven simple yet unbreakable laws.

* Windmarks are earned not owed. Full clan status is awarded to only those individuals who have earned their Windmarks. And as such, those bearing windmarks will be welcomed, protected, and provided for by the pavilions and thus the clans. Those without windmarks have no status and are owed nothing by either pavilion or clan.

* All Drykas will work equally hard in their areas of expertise to provide for the benefit and

* Strider horses are sacred. To harm or abuse a strider is as serious as harming the clansman who's bonded to it. Cruelty towards a horse is grounds for exile - on foot.

* The clan is sacred. Obedience is due to its Ankal. All Drykas will be there when the clan needs them.

* Dignity is sacred. When a fellow Drykas is wounded or incapacitated beyond recovery, the clansman must be ready to assist them towards reincarnation and a better stronger younger form.

* Respect and defer to the word of your Ankal. Infighting will not be tolerated. All disputes should be taken to the Ankal who will facilitate or negotiate a resolution. The Ankals word on all disputes is final.

* The Web is sacred. No Drykas will alter it maliciously or instruct a non-Drykas as to its usage. All Pavilions are responsible for sharing equally in its upkeep and maintenance.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on March 31st, 2010, 7:47 pm

Oh, very interesting! To clarify, if your Ankal makes a "ruling" in some matter, there is no recourse to to go, say, a council of elder Ankals at Endrykas. Like a Supreme Court sort of thing?

Not saying there needs to be; just curious!

Thanks, Jen! More information makes 'em easier to play!
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Gossamer on March 31st, 2010, 7:53 pm

You could protest his decision and leave the pavilion easily enough. If it was a bad enough decision you could take it to the council of Ankals which meets in Endrykas (Hex has a writeup on it in Endrykas' wiki entry). I imagine that like in any other culture in any time there are Akals that go bad and make routinely bad decisions. I imagine Ankals can be ousted too etc. No ones culturally pure or has everyones best interests at heart. Of course, a Drykas cut loose on the Sea of Grass might have a hard time sheltering unless they went to say their mother's people or some other relative that would normally take them in or be sympathetic.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on March 31st, 2010, 7:55 pm

...which could open up things for so much interesting happenings. Well, awesome. Thanks for the clarification!
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Previous