Unofficial Prospective Player's Guide to Zinrah

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Re: Unofficial Prospective Player's Guide to Zinrah

Postby Gossamer on March 31st, 2010, 8:31 am

Since this thread was posted in 'Mizahar Discussions' and comments were solicited on it by the author, it is appropriate and prudent that the admins (namely Cayenne and myself) comment on it. It was not an attack, a flame, an exercise in putting someone down or making them feel bad. Frankly, we have standards we hold articles too. Had this been posted in a blog/scrapbook, or some other place then it would not have invoked comment. Anytime you title something 'guide' or even present it as a work designed to shed more light on roleplay and roleplay opportunities in a specific area (regardless of how you title it), it reflects Mizahar and Mizahar's standards.

A guide is a guide is a guide. This is very much a guide.

Yes, Ash agreed to make his changes. Yes, Ash clarified it was not meant to be canon. But... that being said he also asked for specifics on what I thought was offensive, which was why I posted a second posting even after he backtracked and clarified on how he intended it. Cayenne, on her part, was well within her rights as both DS of Zinrah and creator of the Dhani to comment on his work as well.

If you create anything you wish others to read to get a feel how something in the game should be played, expect that document (no matter what name you label it) to be reviewed and commented on by a FC. I still stand by the fact that creative work should stand on its own without clarification via editors notes or other explanations nor should it be offensive in any way to anyone.

I totally understand the precautions the Admins need to take when less, um, talented and innovative people try to take the reigns a bit too much, and add things that are just way off track (especially for official bits) but I just don't get it, here.

I'm sorry you feel that its unnecessary for us to point out when we feel things are inappropriate and overboard. We do this equally and fairly to everyone - I suppose you'd say the 'talented' and the 'less talented' people alike. No one gets special treatment or has leeway to be offensive. When they are doing so, we say so. It's really just as simple as that. Yes, things were changed and that is appreciated. Note, we didn't keep making an issue AFTER things were changed. You did. But chastising us for pointing out offense and inappropriateness seems a little less than charitable - and I for one really shook my head because you said this wasn't attacking the Admins, yet the Admins (Cayenne and Myself) were the only two giving specific comments you are being so critical of.

We would be remiss, completely, to do otherwise.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: Unofficial Prospective Player's Guide to Zinrah

Postby Aneira Haimati on April 1st, 2010, 1:45 am

Gossamer wrote:
I totally understand the precautions the Admins need to take when less, um, talented and innovative people try to take the reigns a bit too much, and add things that are just way off track (especially for official bits) but I just don't get it, here.

I'm sorry you feel that its unnecessary for us to point out when we feel things are inappropriate and overboard. We do this equally and fairly to everyone - I suppose you'd say the 'talented' and the 'less talented' people alike. No one gets special treatment or has leeway to be offensive. When they are doing so, we say so. It's really just as simple as that. Yes, things were changed and that is appreciated. Note, we didn't keep making an issue AFTER things were changed. You did. But chastising us for pointing out offense and inappropriateness seems a little less than charitable - and I for one really shook my head because you said this wasn't attacking the Admins, yet the Admins (Cayenne and Myself) were the only two giving specific comments you are being so critical of.

We would be remiss, completely, to do otherwise.

I don't want to draw this on, but I do want to clarify that what I meant by "less talented individuals" wasn't to suggest that more talented people deserved to be allowed to get away with more. I meant that if someone wrote a guide that was totally heinous, grammatically incorrect, and full of flaws, I would consider them "less talented" in the area of writing for Mizahar and would expect them to receive more criticism on said piece of writing. That will probably be taken the wrong way, once again, so maybe I shouldn't have said it in the first place, but I didn't mean it (and don't) the way it came across. That's the trouble with text, sometimes.

Secondly, yes, I was commenting on your comments. No, I was not attacking you. Commenting on them and attacking you are different, and that is why I said I was not attacking. I didn't feel I was being aggressive or even particularly argumentative, but once again, maybe I came across differently.

I truly just wished to point out the positive points of Ash's writing, and comment on things I disagreed with, in a respectful way. I hope that what I said will be received well.
Aneira Haimati
Masquerade! Paper faces on parade.

Words: 31480
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2010, 12:07 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Previous