Siana Skyglow

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, all the character sheets are kept for player characters. Feel free to come on in, browse the forum, look at what sort of characters others have created, and then begin your very own!

Moderator: Liaisons

Siana Skyglow

Postby Siana Skyglow on February 18th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Siana Skyglow

Basic Information

Race: Vantha
Birthday & Age: Season of Fall, Day 54, 493 AV (16 years old)

Physical Description

Standing at an even 5 feet tall, Siana has a slight, fine-boned build that belies her innate hardiness and resistance to the cold. To an onlooker, her small stature, easy smile and swift, light-footed gait give her a decidedly youthful, girlish air. With its rosy, full cheeks and slender lips, her rounded face further reinforces this impression. Her Vantha heritage reveals itself not only in her dark coloring but also in its highlights of vibrant color. Usually worn in dozens of narrow plaits woven with beads and fur thongs, her black hair gleams with a faint greenish sheen when light touches it. In vivid contrast to her dusky complexion, her almond-shaped eyes can change in hue from rich blues, greens and violets to even a dark rose or a deep gold depending on her moods, with each color corresponding to a specific emotion or state of mind. Even her voice, normally a pleasant, ordinary girl's voice, is capable of marvelous range when she chooses to show it, from a thunderous roar to a chilling whisper to a musical murmur that makes every word sound like part of a song.

Character Concept

Growing up in a society where feelings are almost impossible to conceal, Siana possesses a near-childlike unfamiliarity with deception and duplicity, except in the service of art. Around other people, she is open, guileless and trusting, though always mindful of others' moods and reactions. In everyday conversation, she's usually high-spirited and warm-hearted, especially around friends and family. She has a tremendous love for life and lives very much in the moment, rarely planning ahead more than she has to. In the harsh snowbound environment of Taldera, however, Siana demonstrates a more pragmatic, serious side to her personality, willing to endure any hardship and perform any task so that she and her loved ones can thrive. Like every Vantha, she knows too well how deadly her beautiful but bleak homeland can be. Her love for her family and loyalty to her Hold runs deep, and Siana becomes fiercely protective whenever she perceives a threat to either. And in the evenings, whether narrating stories or hearing them told, Siana is quite simply in her element. While the Vantha are renowned for their storytelling abilities, there are few even among their number who can match Siana's passion for it. She loves weaving tales for everything she sees, from a peculiarly stunted tree to a new visitor in Avanthal, making the world around her seem fanciful and enchanting indeed. Her favorite stories, however, are the histories and folklore of the Vantha, who call themselves the People of the Aurora. Whether imitating the howl of a wolf or the sigh of snow falling, embellishing an oft-told fable with her own inventions, or just pausing at the right moment to make her audience hold their breaths in anticipation, Siana is happiest during the long nights when she can practice her art.

Siana's exposure to other races has been extremely limited, and she tends to feel uncomfortable around non-Vantha because she can't read their feelings in their unchanging eye color. She adores brightly colored clothes and jewelry and can easily be bribed with pretty things. Having lived her life surrounded by people, Siana is most afraid of being completely alone or abandoned. Knowing she lacks both the skills and experience required to get by on her own, Siana can become quite clingy and attention-seeking if she senses possible isolation. However, her strong faith in Morwen is enough to convince her that, even if she ever finds herself physically alone, the goddess' cool eyes will always watch over her.

Character History

The youngest child in a family of talented carvers, Siana grew up to display little of the natural artistry and mental focus that distinguished her parents and two older brothers. When not helping tend Avanthal's crops or going hunting or whaling, her family members could usually found in the workshop, happily absorbed in producing their beautiful depictions of living creatures and natural scenes in wood and bone. Though dexterous enough with needle and thread and perfectly willing to get her hands dirty weeding and watering the crops, Siana proved too flighty a child to labor patiently over the little carving and whittling projects her parents assigned to her. Instead, she would wander freely about the workshop, playing with the unfinished figurines and inventing funny stories and songs for each. Eventually, her parents gave up on teaching her to follow their footsteps and accepted with equal parts affection and resignation their whimsical, mischievous daughter as she was.

As she grew older, her parents even made use of her fondness for giving each carved animal a story by letting her help sell their creations at the market. Because each carved animal was slightly different from all the rest, Siana would give each animal a unique name and background. Sometimes these stories would be quite elaborate, as she borrowed and adapted fables and myths she'd heard other storytellers recite in the evenings. Those who liked an animal's story and bought one would walk away happy in the thought that their carving was truly one of a kind. Every now and then, Siana would see another child in the Arvinta playing with one of those carved animals and proudly telling its story to a circle of friends, which made her smile to herself in satisfaction.

However, it wasn't until Siana turned twelve that she truly understood and embraced the magic and power of the storyteller's art. Not long after her birthday, her father and oldest brother left on a whaling expedition. Whale bone was especially prized for carving, and her family was looking forward to having an ample supply after the hunt. However, the hunting party did not return that night, nor the following night or the night after. When they had been gone a full week, the entire Hold began to worry and search parties were sent to find out what happened to them. Mounting anxiety and fears for the worst seized their family.

Seeing her mother grow grey and haggard as she waited to hear if her husband and son had died, Siana decided she had to help somehow. She couldn't go out and search herself, being no tracker or hunter, but she could fan the embers of hope at home into a fire to warm her family and friends' trembling hearts. When their dread grew strongest, she would tell stories about how the hunting party went chasing after the biggest whale they'd ever seen and were even now carrying it home in triumph. She told gripping stories about how their men were caught in a snowstorm but survived on their rations and waited in warm caves for their rescuers; she told heartwarming stories of how they stopped to aid starving families in the icy reaches of Taldera and heroic tales of defeating hungry beasts and outsmarting the freezing northern seas. At first, the others dismissed her stories as mere fancy, but their hunger for reassurance and comfort made them listen and hope. Others even followed her lead and told stories of their own. Seeing the solace that her tales gave her listeners, no matter how fleeting, made Siana lose herself in her storytelling and give her all in every description and line of dialogue.

Finally, after a week of searching, they found the hunting party straggling home, many of them wounded and hungry. As it turned out, they had indeed hunted down a whale, but their catch had attracted a scavenging polar bear mother and her cub. They had fended her off, but not without several injuries, lost rations and broken weaponry. All the men were quickly brought home, much to the joy of the entire Hold, and thanks to the skill of the healers at Avanthal, none died. Peace and normality slowly flowed back into everyone's lives. When Siana's father heard of the stories she told to keep up people's spirits during their absence, he smiled and told her that everything she had said was true and that she had the heart of an artist, using words instead of chisel and knife to emulate life and create beauty.

Since then, Siana has continued to hone her storytelling skills. She listens avidly to the poets and musicians of the Vantha and tries to find inspiration in everything she sees. Even her stories for her family's carved animals and figurines have improved, though she tries to keep them simple so as to not overwhelm potential patrons. Though she realizes she is still a fledgling at the ancient art, she dreams that one day she will regale entire Holds with tales of wonder or perhaps even perform before Queen Morwen herself.

Now that she has come of age, her parents have begun broaching the subject of marriage to Siana. As of yet, she remains of two minds about the matter. On one hand, she hopes to bring a high bride price to her family; her father had offered a small fortune in carvings and beads for her mother and her brothers' wives have already started teasing and gossiping about Siana's prospects. On the other hand, she feels apprehensive about leaving her family and Hold behind to join a different Hold by herself. Even more confusing is her budding interest not in a boy her own age but in one of the members of the Icewatch, the honor guard of Avanthal and the Ice Palace. Though she doesn't even know his name, she's seen him riding his bonded polar bear around the city and her heart burns with every sighting. Handsome, strong and capable, he seems like everything she could hope for in a husband, and Siana frequently catches herself wondering if the Icewatch are allowed to marry and if he's ever noticed her watching him.

Skills

Skill Points Level
Storytelling 27 (15 SP + 10 RB + 2 XP) Novice
Dance 10 (10 SP) Novice
Sewing 10 (10 SP) Novice
Cooking 5 (5 SP) Novice
Gardening 5 (5 SP) Novice
Wilderness Survival 5 (5 SP) Novice
Riding 5 (5 XP) Novice
Interrogation 2 (2 XP) Novice
Observation 2 (2 XP) Novice

Lores

Lore of Vantha Folklore and History (SP)
Lore of Performing Arts (SP)
Lore of Horse Breeds (XP)

Gnosis

Morwen: First Mark

Languages

Vani, Common

Equipment and Possessions

Set of clothes (SP)
  • Warm woolen dress, dark brown with hints of colorful embroidery
  • Thick leggings
  • Full-length fur-lined cloak
  • Snow boots
  • Knitted mittens and scarf
  • Furry white hat
Backpack (SP)
  • Set of toiletries (comb, brush, soap)
  • Week's worth of rations
  • Eating knife
Waterskin (SP)
Heirloom (SP)
  • Talisman of walrus ivory just large enough to fit into her palm, delicately etched by her mother with the shape of a dancing woman

Housing
Quiet corner in the children's communal sleeping/living room of Skyglow Hold's Arvinta

Ledger
100 mizas

Thread List
Last edited by Siana Skyglow on April 20th, 2010, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siana Skyglow
Fire and ice

Words: 70143
Joined roleplay: February 18th, 2010, 11:49 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Siana Skyglow

Postby Siana Skyglow on April 7th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Character Development Questions

General Information :
1. What is your name?
Siana Skyglow

2. Do you go by a nickname or pet name?
Some of my friends call me 'Ana.' I think it's a pretty nickname.

3. How old are you?

4. What is your height?
5"

5. What is your weight?
About 105 lbs.

Aesthetics :
1. Describe yourself as you see yourself.
I am a performer at heart; I like to be in the center of attention, so I'm very outgoing and full of energy. However, I also see myself as an artist. I have a strong imagination --- sometimes too strong! --- and love inventing new ideas, stories and ways of expressing myself.

2. Describe yourself as others typically see you.
I think most people see me as a small girl with a big personality. Some might find me annoying and bratty, but others like me for my playful, creative nature.

3. What is your favorite body feature?
My favorite natural feature would be my eyes, of course. We Vantha are so lucky to have the beauty of Morwen's Lights shining in our eyes. My favorite acquired feature would be my gnosis mark from Queen Morwen, which she gave to me soon after I was born.

4. How physically fit are you?
I'm not very strong, but I try to make up for it with grace and agility, as I'm very light on my feet and quick with my hands. Years of surviving in the north have made me hardy and robust.

5. How do you typically dress and what is your style?
I usually garb myself warmly in woolen dresses, thick boots and my favorite fur-lined cloak. Because these clothes are more functional than ornamental, they're usually well-made but plain. I love bright colors, though, so I braid my hair with ribbons and beads and embroider my dresses a little to make them more colorful and pretty.

Family :
1. Who are your parents and what are they like?
My parents are Virian and Briana Skyglow. They're both well-known and skilled carvers who take their craft very seriously. I live with them in Avanthal. My father is serious and firm and likes to be in charge of everything; my mother is more easygoing and artistic, though she doesn't hesitate to box our ears if we get in trouble.

2. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
I have two older brothers, Ivian and Selian. Ivian is six years older than me, Selian four. Despite the difference in our ages, I'm actually closer to Ivian because he's more fun to tease and pester; Selian is moodier and likes being with his group of friends better.

3. What is your extended family like?
Our family is quite large! Most of them live in Skyglow Hold; my father came to Avanthal with his parents and siblings many years ago. Several aunts and uncles live here near us, so I always have many cousins to play with.

4. Do you consider close friends as important or more/less important than family?
I believe family is more important. However, most of my closest friends are also family, if distantly related, so in many cases they're the same thing.

5. Do you treat animals like family?
I'm not sure. I've never been that close to an animal, but I could see myself treating a beloved pet or horse as family.

I was born in Avanthal.

2. Where do you live now?
I still live in Avanthal, with my family.

3. If you could live anywhere in Mizahar, where would that be?
I've never been anywhere else in Mizahar, so I can't say for sure, but I'm happy where I am.

4. Do you have a favorite place to vacation or spend leisure time?
I love to spend time at the Crystal Hall or the Sculpture Yard in Avanthal, where I can meet and listen to wonderful storytellers sharing their art. I learn so much just hearing them speak!

5. Where do you fear to be?
I fear most to be out in the northern reaches by myself, especially in the dead of winter, if I have no tools or supplies to help me survive.

Traits :
1. Do you have any physical weaknesses (disease, scars, and missing limbs?)
No, thank goodness.

2. Are you right handed or left handed?
Right-handed.

3. What languages do you speak? What do you sound like? Do you have an accent?
I speak fluent Vani and conversational Common. My normal voice is pleasant enough, but I'm told that when I start telling a story, it becomes deeper and more haunting, like it's coming out of the earth itself through my body. I've also been working on varying my voice during storytelling to fit the action and characters, by making it softer or louder, slower or faster-paced, and more or less emotional.

4. Do you have any odd mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?
People often tell me that I talk too much and prefer to tease and joke rather than take things seriously. I guess sometimes that is true and I can see why it would be annoying to other people.

5. Do you have (or want to get) any tattoos or piercing? Why do you have them (or will get them)?
I do have pierced ears to wear earrings, but no tattoos or other piercings. I might someday get other piercings, but at the same time I don't want to look like I'm bristling with metal and bone spikes if I wear jewelry in the piercings.

Occupations :
1. What is your occupation?
I have no set occupation as such; I mostly help out my family with various duties and chores. My days alternate between tending the crops in Avanthal and working at my family's stall at Frozen Falls Market, where I help sell their carved figurines and art pieces by telling stories about each carving.

2. Do you like/dislike your work? Why?
I enjoy working at the market most because I'm free to make up and tell stories while still bringing my family profit. It always gives me a warm feeling of pride when a customer likes the story I tell and buys a carving. I don't mind working to tend the crops, because I know how important it is that everyone helps the community so that we can survive this far north.

3. If you could be anything you wanted to, what would you be?
I would be a performer and storyteller at the Crystal Hall, and people from all the Holds would come eagerly to hear my tales. Perhaps even Queen Morwen might come and listen someday and even applaud my stories!

4. Which occupation do you admire the most? Why?
I most admire people who can use their creativity in their work while still managing to prosper and bring good fortune to their families. Anyone can tell a story or carve a bone, but it's quite another thing to do it so well that people will pay you for the privilege.

5. Which occupation do you like least? Why?
I'm not sure. I don't think I would much like being a hunter, even though I know how necessary their work is and I respect our hunters a great deal. I just don't think I could bring myself to kill anything, even if I needed to.

Childhood :
1. What sort of child were you?
Oh, I was a terribly frustrating child for my parents: flighty, chatty and thoughtless. I much preferred play to work and actually enjoyed making up wild excuses for why I didn't feel like being productive that day. I think I've grown up at least a little since then, though a lot of people will tell you that I have changed much at all, hmph.

2. What is your favorite memory from childhood?
I loved the evenings our family would spend together, telling stories and playing games in front of the fireplace. Whenever i think of the words "peace" or "contentment," I picture those times in my head.

3. What is your worst memory from childhood?
When I was twelve, my father and oldest brother went out on a whaling expedition with other men of our Hold. They were gone for so long that we were afraid they had died. The moment when the first search party we sent came back to say they couldn't find a trace of them was the worst moment in my life. I couldn't stand the thought that my father and brother had died, and even worse, that they had probably died angry at me.

4. What sort of relationship did you have with your parents?
My parents are very loving and protective toward me and care for me very much. However, their personality and values are very different from mine, which means they sometimes don't know how to deal with me. Sometimes, when they talk about the things they care about most, like carving or hunting, I feel sad and left out because I don't understand why they're so important.

5. Who was your most influential role model?
I don't think I have a single role model that I look up to most. Both my parents are my role models in different ways, as are many of my favorite storytellers and artists in Avanthal.

Education :
1. What sort of education do you have?
When I was younger, my mother sat me down every day for formal lessons about Vantha history, folklore, and geography. When I was deemed old enough to help work, the women of the Hold taught me about gardening, farming, cooking, sewing and other useful skills. Everything else I know, I've picked up from the people around me.

2. Do you like/dislike learning?
I love learning new things, especially new stories I've never heard before.

3. Where or how did you learn most of your skills/abilities?
All of my learning has taken place somewhere in Avanthal. Most of it has been hands-on learning. As important as books and formal lessons are, most things just have to be learned directly from a teacher.

4. How do you learn best?
I like having an understanding, encouraging teacher who shows me what he wants me to do and then lets me try for myself. Teachers who constantly scold me or tell me what I'm doing wrong may be very motivating for some people, but they'd probably make me want to cry or run away.

5. What are your educational goals for the future?
I would love to learn more stories, not only from Vantha folklore but also from other cultures outside Taldera. I also want to keep learning how to create and tell better stories and put on memorable performances. I suppose I should also learn more practical skills, like self-defense or survival, just to make sure I'm not utterly helpless if I'm left alone.

Relationships :
1. Do you form close bonds with people? Why? Why not?

2. Do you trust people easily? If not, why not?

3. Do you consider yourself straight, gay, bi, or something else?

4. Have you ever been kissed? If so, describe the first time.

5. Have you ever had sex? If so, describe the first time.

Drugs and Alcohol :
1. Have you ever been drunk? If so, describe your first time.

2. Do you like to drink on a regular basis?

3. What sort of alcohol do you prefer?

4. Have you ever tried drugs (mood altering substances)? If so, which kinds and what did you think of them?

5. What do you think of drugs and alcohol? Be specific.

Likes and Dislikes :
1. What are your hobbies?

2. Do you like to read?

3. What annoys you more than anything else?

4. What do you find the most relaxing activity to do?

5. What kinds of things embarrass you? Why?

Favorites :
1. What is your favorite color or colors?

2. What is your favorite time of day?

3. What is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?

4. What do you like to eat? What do you hate to eat?

5. What is your favorite type of weather? Does any kind scare you?

Outlook :
1. Are you optimistic or pessimistic?

2. What are your religious views?

3. Would you be able to kill?

4. What are your views on sex?

5. What, in your opinion, makes a successful life?

Actions :
1. What is the worst and best thing you’ve ever done?

2. What is your greatest regret?

3. What is your best/worst memory?

4. If you could change one thing about your past, what would it be and why?

5. What are you the most proud of doing in your life?

Emotions :
1. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings with others?

2. Do you have any biases or prejudices?

3. What makes you happy?

4. Who or what, if anything, would you die for?

5. What makes you angry?

Relationships :
1. In general, how do you treat others?

2. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?

3. Who is the person you respect the most, and why?

4. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If not, describe an ideal lover.

5. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why

Group Situations :
1. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?

2. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?

3. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?

4. Do you care what others think of you?

5. What do you think of others, in general?

Self Image :
1. What is your greatest strength as a person?

2. What is your greatest weakness?

3. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

4. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?

5. Are you generally organized or messy?

Beliefs :
1. What God or Goddess do you find most appealing, if any?

2. Which God or Goddess do you fear, if any?

3. Do you have any Gnosis Marks? If so, how did you receive them?

4. What lengths would you go to to please your deity?

5. Where do you draw the line at pleasing your deity? What is too much?

Life & Death :
1. What do you absolutely live for?

2. What is the best part of life?

3. What is the best part of death?

4. If you could choose, how would you want to die?

5. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?
Siana Skyglow
Fire and ice

Words: 70143
Joined roleplay: February 18th, 2010, 11:49 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets