Morwen's Light Jewelry Store [Closed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Dyrdas on April 11th, 2010, 5:21 am

20th Day of Spring, 510 AV

Heads turned at the tall, paper-thin man clad in red as he strode quickly through the crowds. He stuck out like a sore thumb. The throngs parted before him, perplexed by his mystical appearance.

Dyrdas ignored the attention as he bustled through Zeltiva, so intent was he on reaching his tiny cottage in time. A small child ran up alongside of him, tugging on the edge of his cloak. Dyrdas grinned down at the boy, and patted his head before sending him away.

Ah, up here. Dyrdas turned a quick right. He was in the housing district now. It wasn't much further until he got there. Dyrdas glanced around at the people walking past. He found his gaze wandering towards a beggar.

A poor man, with long, matted hair caked with dirt that hung over his eyes. His equally tattered and dirty clothing offered little, if any, protection from the elements to his bony form. Then his eyes were drawn to the beggar's right arm.

His forearm was missing. The stump that was left was shriveled and black. The man must've been an unskilled laborer, put out of work by a tragic accident. As Dyrdas whirled by, he tossed a few mizas to the man.

"Buy yourself some food," he said. Nearly three-quarters of the way there, Dyrdas slowed his pace a bit and allowed himself to catch his breath. He focused now on the task soon to be at hand. The man was going to give him a wring, and he would have to Glyph it... how best to do that, he wondered.

A focus, surrounded by a barrier, with a trigger. The actual effect absorbed by the focus would be his Reimancy... a thin mist of Res, transformed into warmth. Simple enough.

And here he was. Arriving at his tiny abode, he fumbled in his pocket for a moment. Finding his key, Dyrdas unlocked the door and went inside the cottage. He sat at the table, rehearsing his Glyphing process over in his mind, and waited for the carver, Talhar, to arrive.
Dyrdas
Freedom burns Bright!

Words: 30218
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2010, 5:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Talhar on April 11th, 2010, 5:56 am

It wasn't long after he arrived at Zeltiva that he met a man dressed nearly completely in red, named Dyrdas, he and Talhar got talking at a tavern and he informed Talhar he was looking for a job, just like Talhar did. After more information was exchanged they came to the conclusion that they were able to combine their work and come up with something that might be a hole in the market. Enchanted Craftsmanship. Talhar could carve rings, necklaces, bracelets, small sculptures and even, albeit relatively crude, masks. While Dyrdas could infuse them with his Fire Reimancy and Glyph abilities so that they emit heat and maybe even fire at a later time.

As he walked past the Kelp Bar he saw a bunch of children playing happily with marbles. A few minutes further though he saw a rather disturbing sight that seemed to be quite common in Syliras, beggars that more often than not had physical deformities by cause of accident or received at birth. He gave the beggar that was sitting, slouched, against a wall a gold miza after noticing the black stump that used to be his right arm. He layed a hand on the man's right shoulder for a second before walking on. He was nearing Dyrdas's cottage now and he stopped a block away from the house to check, once again, if he had brought the ring he made from a boar's tusk he hunted a few days earlier.

He had made the delicate ring with extreme caution and with much trial and error for he was relatively competent in carving, yet he had still so much to learn. First he made a ton of drawing and sketches of how he wanted the ring to look when finished. Then he hunted a boar, sawed of the tusk, sawed it in smaller pieces, then he used the smaller parts of the tusk that were roughly the size of a ring and drilled them out to create a hole. He proceeded with a fine pick to create the spiralled indent in the ring, made with delicate hand pressure. Then he finished the ring with a small file to lessen the rough edges made with the drill and used a very small brush to paint brown-tinted gold in the spiral.

Talhar opend the little box the ring was stored in, saw it was in place and put the little, black box in his pocket. He lifted his backpack up off the ground and swung it over his shoulder and over his Morwen's Light Cloak.

After a few seconds of getting up to the cottage, he knocked on Drydas's door.
Talhar
Player

Words: 50746
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2010, 1:29 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Dyrdas on April 11th, 2010, 6:30 am

Dyrdas went to the plain wooden chest in his cottage and fitted his key (yes, the same key that let him into the house) into the inexpensive, slighty rusted, iron lock. After a few seconds of jiggling and an under-the-breathe swear, the lock popped open. Heaving, he threw open the very heavy wooden lid.

Dyrdas did a quick inventory of the chest's contents. Black sheets of parchment, quills, vials of ink, dust. Oh, lots of dust. Ah, there it was. He pulled a plain square board out from the bottom of the chest. He blew on it a bit to clear all of the dust off. Grinning, he tossed it onto his bed. Grabbing a blank scroll along with some writing supplies, he settled back into his seat at the small table.

For about an hour, Dyrdas practiced his Glyphing. He tried to draw up a scroll to hold a blast of fire, but he just couldn't get the barrier around his focus just right. He noted the individual glyphs that were mucking up the sigil.

Taking a second sheet of parchment, he drew them out larger. Thrice he scratched out one particular glyph, appalled at it's sloppiness. On his forth try, slowly, deliberately, he got it just right.

Then, there was a knock on the door.

Dyrdas rose stiffly from his scribblings. He shook out his hand, stiff as it was from the writing. He walked over to the door and undid the cheap iron latch, mumbling to himself that it was "rather important" that he get new locks for the cottage if he wished to open a store and not be robbed.

As the door swung open to reveal the familiar dark-haired Vantha, he grinned. The time was nigh for some magic. "Welcome, friend," he said, "To my rather shabby abode." And with that, he wove his guest in before shutting the door to the temperate midday heat of Zeltiva in spring.

Dyrdas motioned his guest towards the table, where they were to discuss things of great craftsmanship and arcana, not to mention gold. As they took their seats, he cleared the sketches off the table and instead replaced them with his elbows.

"So, Talhar, Where should we start?"
Dyrdas
Freedom burns Bright!

Character sheet

Postby Talhar on April 11th, 2010, 6:49 am

Talhar smiled at the warm welcome and he shook his head jovially at the mention of the " shabby abode ". " It is more than what I hoped it to be mate. It'll make a great shop for sure. " As he sat at the table across Drydas he pulled out the small black box out of his pockets, opend it and gave it to Drydas.

" This is the kind of merchandise we can offer as far as rings go, I haven't made prototypes for the other types of products we'll offer, such as: necklaces, bracelets, masks, small clay sculptures and possibly other items aswell. That is if you agree with this ofcourse and if you're happy about the quality I can offer. "

" I think it's fairest if we split our income evenly ? 50/50 ? The production costs are also split evenly than ofcourse. Apart from the resources I already have such as a chisel, drill, few gougers, saw and a pick. I must warn you though that I will have to replace my production items from time to time. I can't make quality items without proper material to work with. "

" I do realize that we will be using your cottage as the base for our shop but I'd also like to mention that this is, hopefully, going to be a long-term business and as such my working hours will be far greater than yours I believe. Which in time will at least equate to paying half a rental fee of a store. "

" What are your opinions on these matters, before we go any further? "
Talhar
Player

Character sheet

Postby Dyrdas on April 11th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Dyrdas listened quite intently as the Vantha, Talhar, explained his conditions. He went over it quickly in his mind before responding.

"I think this is agreeable. I hadn't thought of spliting the profits any other way."

He paused for a moment. Rising, he went over to his chest and again lifted the heavy lid. He drew out his practice Sigil, and strode over to the table, laying it in front of Talhar.

"Now," he said, indicating the Glyphing, "This is what we'll have to fit onto your jewelry." Now he lifted the beautifully carved ring out of it's box. Holding it up, Dyrdas noticed one flaw.

"These spirals, they'll be hard to carve the Sigil onto." Dyrdas paused, examining the ring once more. "However, we can work them into the smooth 'inside' of the ring." He blinked.

"One more thing. My Glyphing, it can give the ring the ability to emit heat, yes. I'm not sure if You understood this when we first made the deal... but Glyphs have a one-time usage."

Dyrdas turned towards Talhar. "Well, if you want to cancel our deal, I understand."
Dyrdas
Freedom burns Bright!

Character sheet

Postby Talhar on April 12th, 2010, 2:40 am

Talhar listened carefully to what Drydas said and was worried for a second when he said there was a flaw in the ring but luckily there was a way around it. When Drydas mentioned he could imbue the jewelry exclusively with one-use glyphs Talhar pondered for a way to solve that issue. Unfortunately with the abilities he and Drydas possessed at the time, there is no other way than to go with one-use heat emitting glyphs. Talhar realized that and responded to Drydas's question if Talhar wanted to call the deal off with a resound waving with his hand.

" No worries mate, even if the items we'll sell can only be used once I still think travelers and sailors that will head to the more frigid areas of Mizahar would welcome such items. It just means we'll have to sell them at a lower cost than if they had multiple uses. "

" Is it possible to reinstate a glyph after the effect has worn off ? If so we could also offer the possibility for clients to come back with their item after they have " used " it, and let you imbue it with a new glyph, for a price ofcourse. "
Talhar
Player

Character sheet