Mandatory Participation (solo)

A summary will ruin certain surprises.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Jaeden Kincade on December 11th, 2011, 10:21 am

Jaeden approached the last of the Merc, his hand gripping his longsword tightly as he stared the man dead in the eye with an intense gaze. The Merc himself began to back away from Jaeden, his own longsword raised defensively in front of him. Jaeden could already tell the man didn’t want to fight, but that hardly mattered in the end, given the circumstances.

“Wait, wait, wait!” The merc yelled out, holding his hand up towards Jaeden and motioning for him to stop. “I didn’t come here to fight you!”

“A little counterproductive given that we’re put into a contest that is meant to see us battle each other, don’t you think?” Jaeden said as he continued his approach, coming just within melee range.

Jaeden swung his sword heavily towards the merc’s right side, purposely telegraphing the attack, if for no other reason than to test the resolve of the merc’s previous statement.

“No, no!” The merc yelled out, raising his sword in defense as Jaeden’s blade clashed against the flat of the merc’s own blade, causing a high pitched tone to ring out into the air. “We were sent by the others to find you!”

“And found me you have.” Jaeden said as he swung another attack at the merc, now more subtly watching over his frame to see how the man carried himself. The way he planted his feet, the way he gripped his sword, the speed of his movements. The mercenary wasn’t half bad, but Jaeden still spotted holes in his defense. “So, let’s get this over with so I can move on to Balkin’s champion.”

“That’s why I was sent to find you!” The mercenary then shouted, raising his blade once again to block Jaeden’s attack, holding the weapon with both of his hands.

Jaeden then began to hold off on any further movement, staring down at the Merc as he received a look that was mixed with both panic and determination mixed together and hissed out through gritted teeth. Jaeden then slowly stepped back, the blade of his sword sliding along the merc’s. “I’ll give you a chime to state what you need to, and decide from there.” Jaeden then simply said, keeping his sword at his side as he gripped it tightly. “Begin.”

“I’m sure you’ve heard the tales of Balkin’s champion. Obviously there’s some weight to it considering he’s won this little contest of their’s the last three times in a row.” The merc began to explain.

“Yes, yes.” Jaeden said, rolling his eyes. “Everyone keeps talking up this thing as if it were a creature gifted to Balkin by one of the gods.”

“Well the strength of the creature is what prompted some of the other contestants to get together, and plan a joint attack against Balkin’s champion.” The merc explained, now starting to lower his own weapon.

“So more or less try to overwhelm him with numbers?” Jaeden replied, recalling that he had suspected such might be part of the planning.

“Exactly.” The merc replied.

“And what happens after? If you all manage to defeat Balkin’s champion?” Jaeden then inquired.

“Then the rest of us fight to the last.” The mercenary answered.

“So it would be teams then, fighting me alone, out in the open?” Jaeden said, a slight suggestive tone in his voice showing a lack of enthusiasm by the idea.

“Well, yes.” The mercenary replied, a slight tension raising in his own voice.

“And you felt I would agree to such?” Jaeden then posed as he once again began stepping forward towards the mercenary. “I think I would rather take my chances one versus one against Balkin’s Champion.”

“You can’t beat him.” The mercenary said, raising his own weapon once again.

“So others keep telling me.” Jaeden replied, now raising his own weapon again. “We’ll have to see.”

And with those final words, Jaeden rushed forward, unleashing a flurry of attacks as his sword came from both side, from above, low and at an angle. His speed faster than before with his attacks, his body moving from side to side, spinning with attacks and thrusts. In his panicked state, it was all the mercenary could do to defend himself, he hadn’t even thought about offense at that point, but simply continued to shift his gaze back and forth, following the movement’s of Jaeden’s blade.

Finally, as an attack of Jaeden’s from above was blocked, Jaeden’s hand snatched out, grabbing the merc by his sword hand. Jaeden quickly turned his body, digging his feet into the ground as he pulled the mercenary forward, pulling his body off balance. The mercenary landed along the ground with a heavy thud before finding his weapon flying free from his hand. The mercenary began to crawl forward, slowly at first, but quickly moving shortly after to regain his weapon. Just as it was within reach, however, a foot stepped down along top of the blade, pinning it along the ground. The mercenary slowly looked up, following Jaeden’s frame until their eyes locked, a look of dread and despair filling the mercenary’s face. Jaeden slowly drew back his sword, his own expression still blank and emotionless, before a quick thrust forward was given, the blade of Jaeden’s sword piercing through the mercenary’s back, cutting through flesh, muscle and bone before finally piercing the heart. The mercenary grunted, his whole body going tense with pain before Jaeden gave a quick, strong twist of his sword, twisting the blade while it was still in the mercenary’s body. It only took a couple of breaths after for the mercenary to finally exhale his last breath, and draw a conclusion to Jaeden’s current battle.

Jaeden pulled his blade free from the mercenary, before pulling a rag out from one of his belt pouches. He then slowly looked to the north-east, the direction of Balkin’s apparent position, as he wiped his blade free. He was curious, in the end, to see this beast of Balkin’s, and truly just how well it faired against larger numbers.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on December 21st, 2011, 9:08 am

He had been moving for almost a half of a bell. It had been a casual pace. Where he was heading didn’t warrant him being in a rush. Jaeden moved to see if this champion of Balkin was as terrifying as everyone claimed, but at the same time, he didn’t want to move so fast that he couldn’t hear others approaching. While the merc from the last group had claimed they were sent to find him and join them in the conflict against Balkin’s champion, at the same time though, he wouldn’t move so fast that he wouldn’t hear others champions moving in on him.

It wasn’t long though, before he heard the shouts of battle. Men screamed out, their voices a little muffled by the distance. They yelled out battle cries and likely orders of strategy. At the same time, Jaeden could almost hear panic in their voices when the roar of some creature echoed out. It was then when Jaeden began picking up his pace, going into a full run as he slipped his bow off his shoulder and began following the sounds of violence.

It took him close to another seven chimes before the screams were loud enough that he could hear the orders now being yelled out, and it appeared by the tone of their voices that such strategy yells they called out, weren’t making a large difference. Jaeden’s eyes then went wide and his body suddenly dropped to the ground as the six foot trunk of a tree suddenly came rushing by, rolling along the ground as chunks of earth were torn up in its wake. Jaeden gave a little grunt before looking over his shoulder, seeing the broken trunk of the tree resting along the ground. “Okay then.” Jaeden simply muttered, pushing himself off the ground.

Jaeden now began approaching the battle, making his way behind tree after tree, using them as cover in the even something else came flying towards him. He began approaching the clearing, and he began seeing the men running back and forth. Weapons were swung, bows were fired, orders were shouted. But all seemed for nothing. Already Jaeden could see three dead bodies laying along the forest grounds. In the distance, Jaeden could see Balkin, sitting in a cozy chair that rested along the edge of a summoning circle dug into the grounds. He sat there drinking what Jaeden could imagine to be tea. In the end, it made sense Jaeden assumed. The summoner would have to remain close to the creature he summoned.

ImageThen Jaeden saw Balkin’s champion. Over twelve feet it stood as thunderous hoofed legs slammed along the ground, kicking up dirt with each stomp. Its skin was almost green, had a leather like quality as massive lower armed had spike like scales and gorilla like hands supported it’s massive upper weight with the legs. Two more sets of arms, long and muscular had almost a human like quality to them, save for the hands which seemed to have talons in place of fingernails. A hunch lined it’s back, and along where the spine would rest, spikes protruded from its back. The head of the creature seemed to be the smallest thing along its body overall, as a what appeared to be scarred and rotted flesh made up the cheeks and brow, no hair lining any part. Horns grew out from along the upper sides of its skill while small black eyes searched around for its next target. A subtle echo, something that seemed to be a mix of a roar and hiss escaped the creature’s mouth as it opened, the appearance of sharp, serrated teeth were bore menacingly at the five remaining men who stood to face the beast.

Jaeden continued to observe, watching the creature move. Each charge it made seemed to thunder the ground enough that Jaeden could almost feel it from where he observed. Almost like a charging rhino in a way. It raised its massive fist into the air, bringing it slamming down along another of the mercs, his body and bones crushing under the force of the blow. Four more mercs now remained as they swung at the creature with their swords, only to find their fear and hesitation keeping them out of weapon reach of the beast itself, and their arrows fired either missed or hit in practically non-lethal areas of the beast. Jaeden’s eyes soon fell to the ground, however, noticing the trails of dirt the monster left in it’s movements, noticing where all of them ended. He gave a slow rub of his chin, considering such for a moment before he finally pulled his bow free, snagging an arrow from his quiver.

The arrow was nocked into his bow and slowly raised up. A slow draw was taken as the arrows tip moved back and forth with the creature’s movements. Finally, as Balkin’s summoned champion converged on another merc, Jaeden loosed his arrow as it soared quickly between trees and over bushes. It struck, imbedding itself into the creatures shoulder. Jaeden, however, found himself scoffing slightly over how it struck. It was a strait on hit into solid muscle mass of one of the larger arms, but its penetration was shallow. The hide of the creature was as thick as it looked as the hit from the arrow barely registered any attention from the monster itself, if any attention at all. It’s arm still swung, breaking another merc with the force of the blow.

“Should have picked up some armor piercing arrows. Guess we should make this conflict end a little more quickly then.” Jaeden muttered under his breath, pulling another arrow from his quiver.

He drew the bow once again. This time aiming for one of the three remaining mercs to stand up to the creature. A slow breath was taken as the merc kept moving, trying to load his crossbow in a panicked rush. When the merc finally stopped to take aim, Jaeden loosed his own arrow from his cover as he shot through the air, covering the short distance almost instantly. The merc cried out in pain as it slipped into his side, piercing between ribs and into his lungs.

A moment later, the summoned beast had dropped his mighty hand along another merc, killing him in the process. Its eyes, along with the one final merc who stood, soon fell upon the merc Jaeden had just shot, and quickly the beast pounced. Both of its mighty fists had fallen along the merc, causing his last screams of pain and panic to be short. The last merc, as well as Balkin, quickly looked around, searching for where the shot had come from. A slow smile curled up along Balkin’s lips as he set his tea cup down along the ground next to him, his hands coming together and his beast soon began stepping back to Balkin’s side, dragging one of the bodies with it. “Is that you out there Jaeden?” Balkin called out. “Why not come out where we can all see you. Attacking from the shadows is the work of paid thugs who have no courage.”

Jaeden slowly reached down, closing the lid to his quiver. Truth be told, he didn’t see much point in remaining concealed any longer either. Overall, he was surprised that his presence hadn’t been noticed from his first arrow loosed, but the chaos of battle often caused small things to get overlooked. So, Jaeden slowly slung his bow over his shoulder and picked up the walking stick he had brought with him in his left hand. He stood up, bringing himself into view as he began approaching the small clearing that had, for the most part, been made by the battle alone and the beast tearing up the trees and earth. “Hunters attack from the shadows as well, which is what I prefer to be labeled as if you are going to do so from that perspective.” Jaeden commented, staring at Balkin through the short distance between them.

Jaaden soon looked to the beast once again, and noticed with a little discomfort, that the creature was now beginning to feast upon the man it had dragged back with it. Those pointed, serrated teeth sliced through the merc’s flesh, easily ripping away a chunk here and chunk there. “You son of a bitch!” The final merc standing screamed out, drawing Jaeden’s attention to him next.

The merc wasted no time. His weapon was already drawn, that curved blade and glimmering effect of reflected light catching Jaeden’s eye. “We were supposed to work together!” the merc than screamed, starting to approach Jaeden. “If I’m going to die, then I’m going to at least take you with me!”

Jaeden already noticed several openings he could strike. Of course, the merc was simply moving on Jaeden. Who knows how many openings would remain once the merc got into a battle stance. Still, each and every opening in the merc’s defense seemed to display was only due to that approach and the anger the merc felt within due to fallen comrades. Jaeden wouldn’t be certain how many would remain once the man took on a battle stance. Still, considering how he held his weapon and himself, Jaeden didn’t imagine there being that large of a difference when the man would come to stop. His head slowly tilted, looking back to Balkin, past the merc. “A moment if you please?” Jaeden then said to balkin. “This shouldn’t take long.”

“Take all the time you need,” Balkin replied, that confident air about him. As he picked up his tea and once more began taking sips. “We have almost all day.”

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on December 23rd, 2011, 1:24 am

Jaeden’s hand was swift, grasping the hilt of his sword and pulling it free as he held it over him defensively while tossing his walking stick to the side. The first strike from the merc came in an overhead strike. The edge of the merc’s blade clashed along the flat of Jaeden’s longsword. Jaeden stepped to the side, angling his blade as the swords tip began pointing downwards. The merc’s blade began to slide along Jaeden’s longsword, the attack being directed to the side. As soon at the merc’s sword slipped free from Jaeden’s sword, Jaeden brought his sword swinging around, attacking at the merc’s leg.

The merc quickly brought his own blade to the other side, blocking Jaeden’s attack. The merc quickly brought up his hilt to smash into Jaeden’s head. Jaeden quickly leaned back, avoiding the strike before taking a step back. His sword was raised for a moment as he observed the merc he stood ready to attack him again. “Mister Kincade, I thought you said you would only a moment.” Balkin said, with an amused tone in his voice.

“A feint of openings on his part,” Jaeden replied as he backed up a couple steps more. “Just a moment longer and this will be over.”

“It’ll end with your death.” the merc said with an angry tone. “I may die against that monster, but I’ll take you down before then.”

Jaeden slowly looked passed the merc for a moment to notice Balkin’s champion had moved on to another of the dead bodies, beginning to feast upon it, the first, eaten down to mostly bone and ligaments. Jaeden’s attention was quickly drawn back to the merc, who was rushing towards Jaeden again. The merc’s sword came slashing to Jaeden’s right side. Jaeden raised his blade to defend, as the merc’s sword crashing into the flat of Jaeden’s sword again. The merc let his attack bounce off Jaeden’s defense, swinging it around to the other side this time. Once again Jaeden moved his sword in defense as it. Jaeden’s fee hand quickly snatched out, grasping the merc by the wrist, keeping movements of his sword arm immobile for a moment. Jaeden’s head then suddenly rushed forward, crushing into the nose of the merc. The merc cried out in a moment of pain as he began to stumble, finally falling to the ground as Jaeden released his grip on his sword hand. “You and the large group never had a chance against that thing in the first place.” Jaeden said as he reached up, rubbing lightly at the slight sting in his forehead. “And Balkin knew it too. Which is why he told all of you where he was. Your ranged weapons wouldn’t have enough penetrating and any of you getting within melee range couldn’t stand up to the strength of it.”

“So we just give up, let it take us and let him win?” the merc then replied, slowly pushing himself off the ground, as he tried to rub the pain in his nose away while blood began to pour out.

“Obviously not, but I would rather face just it, than a large group of mercs.” Jaeden said plainly as he stood in place, waiting for the merc to get to his feet again. “It may be suited for facing multiple opponents out in the open. I’m not. In the end, it is not which groups are standing alive, but the last champion standing.”

The merc finally got to his feet, wiping away a pool of blood that had been forming in his hand. “What makes you think you’ll fair better than all of us did?” the merc then said.

Jaeden slowly shook his head, slowly raising his hand as he pointed to something past the merc. The merc himself realized too late as the low growl began to echo in his ears. As he slowly looked up, he saw nothing but the black eyes and sharp green teeth of Balkin’s champion hanging over him. Just as he was about to let out a scream, the creature attacked, grabbing the merc with all of it’s arms as it bit down into the merc’s neck. Jaeden slowly sheathed his sword, walking over towards his walking stick as it picked it up off the ground. He then looked past the creature, as it began to feast upon the last of the mercs. Finally, he looked back up at the beast, narrowing his eyes a little as he rubbed his chin. “It has gotten a little bigger.” Jaeden muttered to himself as stepped a few yards back still.

As the summoned monster of Balkin finished devouring the flesh of the last merc, Balkin himself stared across the field, giving an arrogant smile to Jaeden. “Well then, looks like it is just down to you, and my champion now. Exciting, isn’t it?” Balkin said as he leaned back in his seat. “Tell me, what plan have you concocted to hopefully defeat my champion, especially after having seen what it can do?”

“I have an option, but right now I’m trying to think of others.” Jaeden simply said as he observed the creature a little longer, seeing it toss the stripped skeleton of the merc aside.

“How about I just put a little pin in that action and we get things started now.” Balkin said as he gave a small motion to the monster.

Balkin’s champion then suddenly came rushing forward, roaring an echo into the forest to sound its charge. It’s hooves and massive fists beat along the ground, causing a small rumble in the earth at Jaeden’s feet that grew stronger the closer it got. Jaeden slowly leaned into his walking stick, observing casually as it moved. The way it’s massive hands rolled into fists along the ground as it moved, like a gorilla using both its arms and legs to move. The fact that three of its smaller arms raised to shield its face, the forth held outward, poised to grab at anything that came close. The insatiable hunger in its eyes as it looked to Jaeden to be its next feast. Jaeden watched it all and didn’t move from where he stood, he didn’t even flinch or so much as have a facial twitch.

Finally the beast’s charge was halted, its massive arm swinging out in an attempt to strike at Jaeden. Jaeden could feel the wake of wind it left in its swing as large, outstretched fingers moved to swipe at him, but fell a foot short of actually connecting with Jaeden. The beast hissed as it began to pace back and forth in front of Jaeden, hunger and annoyance in its eyes as it jerked forward ever few seconds in attempt to get closer. Such attempts seemed futile as something invisible seemed to keep it at bay from going any further. Jaeden slowly raised his hand, scratching at a slight itch that had risen in the tip of his nose. “Interesting.” Balkin called out, his tone a little curious and annoyed at the same time. “I see you discovered the current range of my champion.”

Jaeden gave a slow nod. “The earth it tore up gave it away. I’m assuming it did so trying to reach the mercs during their initial assault.” Jaeden explained, slowly motioning to such with a nod of is head. “The way its rounded seems to suggest a radius pattern being formed. And while I was watching it attack the others as I arrived, I noticed it only went after those within the boundary of that torn up earth, and ignored the others outside of it. I figured it couldn’t go past that line, and if I stayed out of it, I was safe. Unless it started throwing shyke at me or something of course. But its not really a subtle creature, and such would be sort of obvious when coming.”

“Very perceptive of you.” Balkin commented, giving a light, mocking applause.

“You mentioned current range, however.” Jaeden said as he slowly stood up strait, gripping his walking stick and adding a little spring in his step out of caution. “That mean you can increase how far out from the center of that circle you got carved into the ground?”

“Indeed I could, but I dare not do such now.” Balkin said, smirking slightly. “To do such would lessen my control over it, and it has already grown strong enough that I just keep it in check. To lose control over it would mean it would likely turn on me, devour my body, and then be set loose on the lands. A temporary risk to all else in the lands, but I do not enjoy the chances of escaping my own demise. Why not come into range, and we can finish the contest this year.”

“I might be inclined to oblige such a request,” Jaeden replied as he slowly began sliding his thumb over the wooden surface of his walking stick, “were I a fool. I know enough to know that I would stand little to no chance facing that creature in close ranged combat. As well, I know the arrows from my composite bow wouldn’t penetrate its hide without armor piercing arrows. Of which I have none right now.”

“So what’s it to be?” Balkin said, offering a shrug. “We monologue until one of us simply submits verbally?”

“Well, chatting would give me time to plan.” Jaeden said with a slight tilt of his head and half shrug. “Unless you’d just prefer to submit right now?”

“I do not think so.” Balkin then said with a smirk. “I can wait and talk until you feel you’ve come up with some vein strategy that will ultimately fail.”

“Well then, tell me about the hulk standing before me then?” Jaeden said as he motioned to Balkin’s champion. “If you feel any plan I come up with is doomed to fail, may as well give me some info on the creature and get my hopes up.”

There was a long pause of silence that took over Balkin for a moment, as he stared into Jaeden’s eyes, tried to study his face, read his expressions. He found none to read. Finally, a smile crossed Balkin’s face, giving a slow shrug once again. “Very well.” Balkin said. “It is called an Elruthae. Not a difficult creature to summon or negotiate with in the long run. In its infant stage, all it wishes is to feast upon something living. If you promise it such, it will submit to you willingly. The larger risk with such a creature though, is the fact that when it does feast, it grows stronger.”

“Really?” Jaeden said, an intrigued tone in his voice.

“Indeed. It isn’t the flesh and fat that sustains this creature in the end.” Balkin said, motioning to the Elruthae. “Rather, it absorbs the latent djed that is found in all living creatures. In eating a man, or Akalak or any race for that matter, it gains its strength, speed and perception. Some in the summoning circle consider the creature to be related to the Kimenth, but such is absurd, considering the Elruthae do not use morphing magics, but instead grow naturally depending on the amount of djed they have devoured. Others say they are related to a Velispar, but such is false as well, since they do not gain intelligence through devouring their prey.”

“So what do you think?” Jaeden then said, looking to Balkin for a moment before looking back to the Elruthae, still watching it pass back and forth in front of him.

“What I believe, is that the Elruthae is simply a beast. A beast nourished by djed, but a beast none the less. However, there is one thing that makes this beast special, however, and such I suspect is that the Elruthae has the natural abilities of leeching and flux. Not that it practices these abilities, mind you, but rather that they are simply a part of it, like night vision is to some animals or gills are to a fish. Though I can’t say for certain whether these abilities are actually leeching or flux, but rather they appear to mimic them very closely.” Balkin explained, a smile still crossing his lips and a glimmer of amusement in his eyes. “The leaching being simple in that it absorbs the djed from the victims it devours, and flux in that djed appears to make it grow stronger after each feast. However there appear to have been no physical signs of overgiving when it does such at even a high right. The psychological signs of overgiving, being that it continues to be insatiable in its hunger for more. If it were to eat enough, and grow to a certain level of strength, it would break free of any summoner’s hold.”

“So I assume that you won’t be summoning this particular Elruthae again?” Jaeden said, looking over the size of it and recalling Balkin’s earlier comments.

“I’ve been summoning him for the past five years.” Balkin said with an amused chuckle. “While it grows with each feast, like with flux or leaching, eventually that djed is used up, and it loses the benefits of previous meals after a time. Only a small fraction of the djed it ravages goes towards growing it to maturity. This one is still in a stage of adolescence. It would likely take it several hundred more meals to grow into an adult. And by then, they lose interest in being summoned, but rather seek to feast upon the creatures of its home dimension, being powerful enough to do so without worry in most cases. They even hunt their own kind from what I understand.”

“I see.” Jaeden said, lowering his head as he gave a slow scratch to the white streak of hair.

“My Elruthae here has feasted upon ten of my guard before the tournament even began, and another eight just now.” Balkin said, a light chuckle once again escaping his lips. “So you can imagine how strong and fast he has become. So you realize, that once you step inside that circle, it is the end.”

“True enough.” Jaeden said looking to Balkin for a long moment.

“So, do you think that any plan of yours will work now?” Balkin said, motioning towards Jaeden. “Why not verbally submit? It would be wise and you would get to live on top of that. I see no shame in such.”

“Yes, but unfortunately Trelissa would.” Jaeden replied, looking out into the deep forest, wondering where she looked on from. “So you see, I can not submit. But that does not mean I will die, either.”

“Oh, and what plan have you conceived of?” Balkin then said, an amused look returning to his face, mixed with hints of curiosity.

“My original plan,” Jaeden replied, holding up his walking stick and running his hand along the length of it.

“You’re going to beat it, with a stick?” Balkin said, trying with every fiber of his being to not burst out in laughter.

“Though I loathe to surrender another year of my life,” Jaeden said as he pinched a small knob at the end of the stick, “your creature and my mistress’ desire leave me no recourse.”

Balkin’s laughter then stopped, as he spied Jaeden from across the way, curious over what he had said. “What do you mean by that?”

“Watch, and see.” Jaeden said as he began to pull at the knob.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on December 23rd, 2011, 5:30 am

Jaeden’s thumb and finger pinched along the not of the wooden stick he carried, after slightly wiggling the knot, it soon broke free as Jaeden began to pull on it. Instead of just another piece of wood breaking from a stick, however, a cord made of vine began to grow out of the stick itself. He pulled the knot all the way to the other end of the stick. The moment the knot touched the surface of the other end of the stick, it naturally melded with it, becoming a solid part of the stick over all. The cord then began to tighten then, as if the slack were being taking back into the stick itself as it began to bend the stick, causing to curve at both ends. Vines slowly began to wrap out from the shaft, entwining around Jaeden’s hand and forearm, both forming a wrist guard and anchoring itself into Jaeden’s grasp until he willed otherwise. Woodland Wrath had been formed.

“Another bow?” Balkin said, slowly standing up from his seat. “What is it?”

“A gift, one that admittedly carries extreme costs.” Jaeden said as he reached out towards the mid of the shaft along Woodland Wrath, grabbing at the stem with several leafs grown out. “The costs though, are worth it when its use is needed in the end.”

Jaeden then slowly began to pull at the stem, and almost immediately the shaft of a stick began to grow out from it in the direction he pulled. Longer and longer it grew, into it touched the cord of Woodland Wrath, its end wrapping around the vine string, keeping it in place for aim as Jaeden felt a surge of weakness begin to rush over his body, his very essence being drained into the arrow it had grown. He drew back the string with ease, however, as there was no resistance felt in the draw of the bow. Then finally, the other end separated from the shaft of the bow itself and then end of the arrow began to grow out on its own, edges and a wooden arrowhead being formed. “It was gifted to my by Caiyha herself.” Jaeden then explained, a slight sound of exhaustion entering his voice. “My very life, is the energy that it draws its power from. Channeling it, converting it by Caiyha’s will. The bow and I are linked you see. Both in life, and in eventual death.”

“Heh, really now.” Balkin said, his tone a little nervous. “Do you really think that a bow, even one crafted by the Caiyha, will be enough to take down my Elruthea?”

“Have you ever stopped to consider how much power comes from the essence, or djed if you will, contained in one full year of a human life? Especially when it is channeled through a weapon crafted by the Goddess of Nature?” Jaeden said as he leveled the bow at the Elruthea. “The Journeyman I killed a little over a year ago found out.”

“What?” Balkin said, almost in a gasp. He knew of Journeymen. Knew of the fact that they carried within them a spark of divinity, and just how powerful they were. As powerful as his Elruthea was, Balkin knew that it was nothing compared to the god fragment that no summoner in their right mind would attempt to summon.

The realization came late, as the arrow from Woodland Wrath was loosed. It was hurtled faster than any arrow shot by normal bows could hope to achieve. Crossing the distance in less than a blink of the eye, blurred to the point that it was virtually unseen in its flight. While the arrow itself was small, its impact hit the Elruthea as though it had been shot by an arrow from a bow the strength and size of a great redwood tree. Almost as if it were an arrow shot by the Goddess of Nature herself. In the center of the Elruthea’s chest it struck, the creatures great mass and weight thrown up into the air and back as though it were nothing more than a child’s stuffed doll. The only thing keeping it flying clear through the trees that lined the forest behind it, was the magical leash that kept it from running free. Even that snapped, causing Balkin a twinge of pain as he dropped to one knee. As the creature fell to a rolling halt along the ground, its body began to change color, flaking away and turning to ash that was carried off by a light breeze, and in the core of its mass, rooting itself into the ground, a tree began to grow, replacing a bit of nature using the remainder of Jaeden’s life that it had taken with it as it grew to eight feet tall in just under a chime.

The contest was officially over, the last of the champions felled as Jaeden stepped up towards Balkin, who remained knelt along the ground now, motionless over how easily his champion had been dispatched. His gaze slowly raised after another chime, first falling along Woodland Wrath, and then finally up to Jaeden’s face. “To think, you would bring a weapon of the Gods, one as powerful as that, into a contest as small as this.” Balkin said, shaking his head as his gaze once lowered.

“To give up a year of my life to see Trelissa’s desires realized, is a small price to pay.” Jaeden said as the feeling of exhaustion from using Woodland Wrath was soon washed away by intense pleasure. Trelissa had been watching, and she was in extreme jubilation over Jaeden’s victory. “Your champion, and any champion you summon from this moment on in future contests, Balkin, are hereby rendered useless so long as I have years left in my life to fire an arrow.”

Jaeden slowly looked back in the direction of camp, taking a slow deep breath for a moment as the pleasure of fulfilling Trelissa’s desires still washed over him like a wave a euphoria. Slowly the vines that covered Jaeden’s wrist and anchored Woodland Wrath into his grasp began to recede, withdrawing back into the shaft of Woodland wrath itself. “It is time this contest ended, and celebrations for my Mistress were had.” Jaeden simply said to Balkin then as he slowly reached down to the knot along the bottom of Woodland Wrath’s shaft. Slowly, the vine string of the divine bow began to give slack, the shaft straitening once again. Before long, Jaeden had pulled the knot free, as the vine slowly began to withdraw, being taken into the shaft. Woodland Wrath, once again, resembled nothing more than a harmless walking stick that guided Jaeden back in his walk to camp. It had been somewhat of a long day. Longer for Jaeden than most would ever realize. He had lost a year of his life in that one day, but through the link that Runari established with Trelissa, Jaeden could feel it was entirely worth it.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on December 25th, 2011, 8:11 am

Jaeden soon returned to a camp full of muttered whispers. Many of them were already plotting. They were already planning strategies for the next contest. And as all fell silent and gazes turned towards Jaeden, he realized they were all conceiving of champions to defeat him. For the past two years, they all worked together, to a certain extent, in bringing down Balkin’s champion. Now, it was Jaeden who had come out on top, and he was the obstacle to climb over. He would continue to be so until someone he faced on the field brought him down, and the cycle would continue endlessly until all of them died, or until some other contest was conceived to entertain those who had so much wealth, that they hardly anything in terms of something they considered priceless.

For today, however, all of them simply applauded Jaeden for his victory. If for no other reason than that he had accomplished what none of their champions could in the past two years, and likely years to come considering the sheer numbers they had thrown at Elruthae. Jaeden had spied around the camp for a long moment, not seeing Trelissa amount the contestants. Soon, his eyes locked with Orvanus, who had a wide smile on his lips, an expression of extreme amusement on his face as he began stepping forward towards Jaeden, clapping his hands together. “That is quite a……….stick, you have there Kincade.” Orvanus said, looking it over for a long moment.

Jaeden’s grip tightened a little more over Woodland Wrath in its simplest form as he gave a nod to Orvanus. “You have the look of a collector in your eyes, Orvanus.” Jaeden said calmly and simply.

“It would a nice addition, considering the lore surrounding it in years past. Even if I can‘t use it.” Orvanus said as he leaned forward, almost whispering in Jaeden’s ear. “Did you know, that one of the first recorded inceptions of it was of a Woodsman like yourself. Many who Caiyha gifted such to have been. Your mentor’s version, however, was the most simplistic in its form. While it packed a punch towards most humans and animals, it did nothing against monsters from another world, or those who had been marked by another god. Which is why he fell to the Journeyman that you felled.”

There was a short moment, that Jaeden failed to breath, the very statement from Orvanus catching his breath and snatching it away momentarily. Jaeden slowly leaned his head back, looking Orvanus in his eyes for a long moment. “You’re very well informed, almost eerily so considering that I never told but two people of my mentor's death.” Jaeden said, narrowing his eyes for a moment at Orvanus.

“There’s more than the eyes of animal, creatures and mortals that keep vigil over the forest.” Orvanus replied with a glint of enjoyment in his eyes. Jaeden then noticed it for the first time, that shadow that seemed to dance along the left side of Orvanus’ cheek. Like a hand caressing his cheek. Orvanus gave a small chuckle, slowly turning as he began moving towards his table. “But, such could simply be a conversation for another time. Your mistress awaits in her tent with her winnings. I suspect she wishes to celebrate with you.”

Jaeden simply observed Orvanus for another long moment, before finally turning and making his way towards Trelissa’s tent. Comments from the other contestants about “keeping her up all night” or “make sure that she still can walk” were repeated with chuckles, but fell ultimately on deaf ears with each step Jaeden made. The closer he got, the more he could feel Trelissa’s desires through Runari, the ones that had been already been fulfilled reinforcing the pleasure he felt with the ones that were now arising the closer he drew to stepping through those two flaps of cloth that made up the entrance.

Finally stepping through the tend, Jaeden found Trelissa there, already laying in the bed. Its sheets and mattress had already been littered with the numerous gold mizas she had won in the contest. She wore a sheer black robe she wore, already opened along the front as that smooth, white skin was revealed down the front. She held in both hands a goblet of wine, already slipping at one as she stared at Jaeden with hungry eyes. Jaeden slowly moved over towards the bed, stripping away his gear and weapons along the way. He laid Woodland Wrath along the floor near the foot of the bed as Trelissa eyed it curiously as her foot slowly reached out, playfully sliding over the shaft with her toes. “Would I be able to fire a weapon from it?” Trelissa asked, curiously for a moment, handing Jaeden the other Goblet.

“You already have.” Jaeden said, taking a slow sip of the wine within the goblet. “While it only works in my hands, I am and extension of your will. Should you wish an arrow loosed, then all you need do is ask, and I will do so until my life has been exhausted.”

“So it uses your life.” Trelissa said, simply affirming Jaeden’s statement, as her foot moved from Woodland Wrath and hooked around the waist of Jaeden‘s pants. “Well then, we will have to use it sparingly. I have many plans for you, my champion.”

“So, now that this contest is over, what happens next?” Jaeden asked, setting the now empty goblet down and beginning to shed his armor and clothes.

“Tonight, we simply “celebrate” until both of us can no longer move.” Trelissa answered in a playful tone. “Tomorrow, we head back to my home. I have many plans for your future, Jaeden, so we will have to begin conditioning you, so we will not have to rely on your mark, as useful as it is.”

“As you desire, Mistress Trelissa.” Jaeden said as he reached out, taking Trelissa’s goblet and setting it aside before beginning their night of celebration by slowly laying kisses along the entire front of her body, biting down along flesh lightly where she wanted.

The night in Trelissa‘s tent, overall, would be a long one that would leave marks on both of them, but ultimately finding pleasure time and again within each other’s embrace. The next morning, while they would get a late start, they would begin the long trek back to Trelissa’s home.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on January 10th, 2012, 10:19 am

They had traveled for the better part of the day, Jaeden by his horse, Trelissa’s guards and Holtan on their horses surrounding Trelissa’s wagon. Trelissa , this time around, opted to ride along her wagon, one of her merc’s at the reigns. Overall, it mattered little. Trelissa’s desires were still firmly affixed to Jaeden’s Ranuri mark, still freshly overpowering his own from the previous night spent in her tent, which at the moment was nothing more than to have untroubled travel on the way home. And for the most part, that first day of travel did go smoothly, with only the sounds of a few wolves howling calls to each other breaking any semblance of quiet, boring travel through the woods.

It had been maybe two bells before sundown that the entire group decided to stop and make camp. While the merc’s and Holtan busied themselves with setting up Trelissa’s tent, Trelissa had pulled Jaeden aside, guiding them down to the nearby stream. There wasn’t much to be done there, save for Trelissa to once again make physical contact with Jaeden with a simple hand being brushed along the cheek. After, it was a simple matter of them passing the time as Jaeden, at Trelissa’s request, began showing her certain intricacies of woodland skills. It had started with tracking, as Jaeden showed Trelissa some simple tracks ranging from wolves stalking prey or coming for water, to birds pecking at the grounds for insects and worms that laid plentiful underneath.

For the most part, Jaeden caught the desire that Trelissa found it all boring, and instead wanted to see something interesting the wild provided. Perhaps another Journeyman, giving Jaeden another opportunity to display Woodland Wrath. Though what little of Jaeden’s own self was left, wasn’t too keen on such a situation. He still felt slightly fatigued from using the divine bow yesterday.

“Well, here’s something new.” Jaeden then said, waving Trelissa over. “Fox tracks.”

Trelissa began to follow, still slightly uninterested, but willing to follow along until camp had been fully set up. Jaeden slowly began following them, as they lead towards a tree overhanging the stream. “Looks like it was stalking something, or trying to avoid it.” Jaeden said, observing the tracks intently. “Hard to tell, as the tracks weren’t too deeply imprinted into the ground. But it was trying to move quiet.”

“Hold on.” Jaeden then suddenly said as he moved further, following the tracks before finally seeing them shift from small paws, into small feet.

He felt Trelissa hovering over his shoulder, looking down at the tracks. “Do you think a human caught it?” Trelissa inquired.

Jaeden slowly looked around. “Only if it was a starved, escaped human slave who was barefoot.” Jaeden said, looking at the tracks more closely. “They lead in the same direction of the fox, but to appear out of nowhere, which would mean that said someone would have had to have dropped from above. And there are no tree limbs hanging over head.” Jaeden explained, shaking his head. “No, my guess is that it would be Kelvic.”

Jaeden could suddenly feel Trelissa’s urgency rising, her desire to head back to camp suddenly overpowering. “They should be done with the tent by now, Jaeden.” Trelissa said with a slight sharpness to her tone of voice. “Let us head back, immediately.”

“I don’t think you would have to worry about some random fox Kelvic.” Jaeden said, trying to reassure Trelissa.

“I am not.” Trelissa snapped suddenly. “I’m concerned about a specific fox Kelvic.”

Before Jaeden could utter a word about the possibility of Red finding them after this amount of time, Jaeden’s ears twitched at the sound of dried leaves crunching under foot. His head spun around quickly and his gaze snapped to the source of the sound. There, behind the tree the tracks had been leading to, stepped out the nude female figure that was all to familiar to Jaeden, and brought about the slightest pang of resistance towards Ranuri he had managed to garner since first succumbing to Trelissa’s touch. “I think she means me, Jaeden.” Red said, her voice quickened by both excitement at finding Jaeden, and anger over what Trelissa had reduced him to.

Jaeden had already felt the desire before Trelissa had uttered the words, his hand already twitching under the feeling, but moving slower towards the hilt of his sword as he heard Trelissa’s voice hiss the words, “Kill her Jaeden. Kill her now.”

It was that split second of hesitation that Red needed. She had traveled long enough with Jaeden, knew enough about the mark, that she knew almost instinctively what had to be done. She rushed forward, her feet digging into the ground as much as they could, and her legs pushing her forward as strongly as possible to cover the short distance between her and Jaeden. She knew, after all, how quickly Jaeden could draw his sword, and how improbable it would be for Red to even get close to Jaeden once he had drawn his sword. It took barely the tick of a chime for Red to cover that distance, her hand slamming along Jaeden’s own, forcing the sword back into its sheath. Jaeden half expected an attack to come next, as he began to duck, about to take a step back. Such played into Red’s next action as she quickly reached up with her other hand, snatching Jaeden by the back of his head and, surprisingly or not, proceeded to kiss him deeply.

All movement on Jaeden suddenly stopped, his body hunched over forward, his feet planted along the ground as, finally, someone’s desires other than Trelissa’s began to fill his being and Ranuri mark. It gave him the one thing he had been lacking for the past few days. A choice. And suddenly Jaeden fell to his knees, the two desires intermingling for a moment before beginning to conflict. Trelissa’s strong desire for Jaeden to remain obedient seemed to battle Red’s strong desire for Jaeden to be free of such influence and be himself once again. The outcome of such a battle of desires, and which one Jaeden would choose, would be clear to both women, but the time it would take was not. As much as Jaeden’s true self had desired to be free of Trelissa’s influence, her desires had become a familiar thing under constant subjection to them over the past few days. In small, they had grown a foothold in Jaeden’s own sense of self. And removing them would take the desires of someone familiar, like Red, invading and eventually causing Jaeden to remember what he was before, and choose to be that person again.

Trelissa would try to prevent such, however, as she began stepping forward towards Jaeden, her hands outstretched to grasp at him. This was met by the sudden blurred movement of Red’s foot thrusting out and catching Trelissa in her chest as Red hopped over Jaeden’s knelt form. The strike sent a violent pain coursing through Trelissa’s body as she let out a gasped yelp of pain and began to stumble backward onto her back, clutching at where Red had kicked her. “You bitch!” Red hissed, slowly beginning to approach Trelissa, her eyes seething with anger. There was a hunger for violence that had not been seen in Red’s eyes since she had first met Jaeden, and faced down the very people who had caged and collared her. “I’ll see you dead this day for what you did to him.”

There was little Trelissa could do on her end to dispute this fact, as she rolled to her front and began to crawl away from Red, fear beginning to shine in her eyes, in a desperate attempt to escape. As talented a Hypnotist mage as she was, Trelissa was completely reliant on those she had enslaved through her honey soaked words to be her shield and weapon. With Jaeden lost and the rest of her mercenaries back at camp, she was at Red’s mercy, having no offensive or defensive skills of her own. She couldn’t even cry out for help as she still struggled to recapture the breath that Red had knocked out of her with the first kick. More unfortunate for Trelissa, was the fact that Red was fresh out of any mercy for her.

Trelissa’s eyes went wide with freight as she felt Red’s fingers grip her hair like a vice, suddenly pulling her up. The next that would come would simply add another swelling of pain as Red’s knee was driven into Trelissa’s face, as Trelissa felt bones in her nose crack and that hot blood begin to pour out over her lips as he body vaulted backward from the force of the blow. Trelissa’s hands went to her nose, grasping at the pain as her eyes began to water. It wouldn’t be long before she felt Red’s foot stomping into her mid-section, forcing her breath away again before Red straddled Trelissa’s body, drawing back fists for the inevitable hurt she was about to unleash. Trelissa raised her hands defensively, almost trying to sob and plead for mercy, each attempt halted by a fist rained down into her face by Red. Eventually, her ability to talk was quickly taken out the equation as Red finally drove one of her fists into Trelissa’s throat, causing her to choke and cough as her airway closed for a brief moment.

Finally, Red’s fury reached its culmination as her feet planted along the ground, and she pulled Trelissa up. Trelissa, dazed, battered and bloodied, barely had the strength to even stand at that point as her legs wobbled and threatened to give out on her. She wouldn’t have the need for long before she found Red forcibly throwing her towards the stream with a wrench of her hands and twisting of her body, putting all of her weight and strength into the throw itself. Trelissa’s body flew through the air for a brief moment before gravity pulled her back to the ground. Her body landed with a hard thud over the cool earth, momentum carrying her into a roll until she splashed into the stream’s waters below.

Red approached Trelissa now, like the predator would approach its wounded prey. She was moving in for the kill. Horror filled Trelissa’s eyes as Red’s hands slinked around her throat and began forcing Trelissa’s head under water. She had no strength to resist. Trelissa barely had the strength to grasp at Red’s wrists or raise her hand to Red’s face defensively. All Red had to do now, was simply hold Trelissa there, until all signs of struggle had ceased. Her mind was already committed to the act. Before she could see it to fruition, however, she felt a heavy hand along her shoulder. “Enough,” said a voice from behind Red.

Instinctively, Red spun around, throwing her fist at the owner of said hand. Her face went to shock when her fist slammed into Jaeden’s gloved hand, halting her attack. “Red, that’s enough.” Jaeden said with a somber tone in his voice, slowly lowering her fist. “You’ve done all that you needed to.”

Red’s eyes began to slowly tear up, as she stared deeply into Jaeden’s eyes, seeing the light that had been in them once more. The expression had been murky, and through the bond Red felt Jaeden’s emotions burdened, but overall, she could tell she had him back. Because that light of caring, despite what he had just been through, was still there. He stopped her not so much to save Trelissa, but to save Red from going entirely through such a malicious act. Killing someone to defend yourself or someone you care about was one thing, but Jaeden knew that killing someone out of wrath alone was a road he didn’t want Red to go down. He had been there himself once before, and generally the maliciousness of such an act was something one couldn’t easily shake free. It stayed on the mind for a long time. Red knew this, instinctively almost from simply feeling Jaeden’s emotions once again. And for that, all she could do was fight back an overwhelming need to cry as she quickly wrapped her arms around Jaeden, embracing him fully. “I thought I had lost you.” Red said, her voice a bit shaky.

“I was lost, but you brought me back again.” Jaeden replied, as his left arm embraced Red around her back, his right cupping around her head as he kissed the top of her head softly. “I can’t tell you how much I love you for that Red. Despite what we may encounter in the future, or who, just know that you are the most important among them to me.”

Red kept her embrace tight, wishing for time to stand still and the moment to not end. The moment, however, would be broken by the sudden groan of pain that Trelissa had released, laying there along the shore, barely conscious. Red quickly turned around, he rage for the woman starting to show in her face once again. Jaeden’s hand grasped Red’s arm firmly, preventing her from vaulting on the woman all together again. “Let me kill her.” Red requested of Jaeden.

“No.” Jaeden said, pulling Red away from Trelissa slowly. "Sorry Red, but this is something I have to do. Otherwise, her influence will linger in my like a disease.”

Red let out a barely audible scoff of disappointment before finally stepping back and folding her arms. Jaeden slowly stepped over Trelissa’s body, dropping to one knee as he drew his sword. Trelissa looked to the sword for a moment, before looking up to Jaeden with a pleading look in her eyes. “Didn’t we have good times Jaeden?” Trelissa asked, a sorrow filling her voice, mainly over the fact that such action Jaeden took held no real surprise for her. “Didn’t I treat you good?”

Jaeden’s hand slowly reached out, stroking her hair a couple of times gently before lightly wiping away blood from her face, cleaning her slowly swelling face the best he could. In the end, he shook his head to her questions. “That wasn’t me, Trelissa.” Jaeden said simply. “The Jaeden you turned me into? He had fun, and you treated him well, so long as he did what you wanted him to. But that wasn’t the real me.”

Jaeden could see Trelissa’s eyes begin to water, this time not from pain, but more the disappointment and sorrow Jaeden could see in her eyes that things were ending this way. “This will be done Trelissa. The fact is, what I turned into could be blamed on Nikali’s mark.” Jaeden explained, lightly brushing his thumb along Trelissa’s lips. “But I can’t do that. Not this time. Because you knew about her mark upon me, and you knew full and well that you were using it to manipulate and change me. Just as you knew how you were turning each an every one of your guards using your magic. You stole them, and you stole me. Not only did you steal us in body, but you stole us in sense of being to. You took away who we were. Knowingly. And I can never forgive that.“

Trelissa began to slowly sob as much as pain would allow her to, her hand slowly reaching up and grasping Jaeden’s left hand as it caressed her cheek lightly. “I’m all alone, aren’t I?” Trelissa said, that one realization practically crushing the slight insanity that magic had scarred onto her psyche, if only for the moment of her death.

“Yes.” Jaeden answered simply. “And the saddest point of that fact, is that you only were alone because you didn’t realize that you did have someone. You had someone there who was with you, without your magic’s influencing him. But take solace in that, because of this fact alone, I pity you more than I hate you, and will make your death quick, skipping any of the suffering I might have made someone else go through for what you did to me.”

Trelissa looked to Jaeden’s sword once more before her gaze moved back to Jaeden’s. There was an acceptance in her eyes by that point, but also still a lingering fear. “Does it hurt?” Trelissa asked.

“Only for a quick moment, I suspect.” Jaeden said as he raised his sword, pressing the tip along Trelissa’s chest, right in the location of her heart. “If it is as most wounds go. You’ll feel a pinch, a quick sharp pain for the blink of an eye, and then everything will just go numb. Barely the length of two breaths. It will at least be better than feeling Red’s fists, and having your lungs fill with water as she holds your head under the stream.”

Trelissa laid there for a moment, silent, then finally gave a slow nod, looking up to Jaeden. Before she could utter any word of doubt, Jaeden’s right arm tensed as he force his blade through. The steel made its way through flesh, muscle and bone swiftly before finally piercing Trelissa’s heart. A slight grunt of pain could be heard escaping Trelissa’s lips, he whole body stiffening from the sudden shock of a lethal wound, before it finally went limp along the shore and her head rolled to the side, out of Jaeden’s hand. It was likely she hadn’t died instantly, but Jaeden could tell it took her less than a chime, her heart being practically cut in half by Jaeden’s sword. It was a quick death, and for the most part, a clean death delivered by Jaeden’s hand. Such was likely a lot more than anyone else would offer her.

Jaeden slowly pushed himself to his feet once again, pulling his sword free from Trelissa’s body. He remained silent for the longest moment as he wiped his blade clean, stepping away from the stream as he came to a stand next to Red, looking back in the direction of camp. “Do we go now?” Red asked Jaeden.

Jaeden slowly shook his head. “No, the others back at the camp will have to be……addressed, unfortunately.” Jaeden replied, letting a desperate sigh escape his lips. “They’re completely devoted to Trelissa and will likely seek out revenge. Especially Holtan. Considering the gold Trelissa won from using me and what she might have back at her home as well, they would certainly have the resources to track us down again. Likely much easier than they had done so before. Most importantly though, Fortunado is back at camp, as well as Woodland Wrath. I can’t abandon either.” Jaeden slowly looked down to his arm, seeing the color of Kelwyn’s mark encircling the flesh of his wrist slightly under the fabric of his clothing and gloved hand. “We’ll need a giant twist of luck in our favor to pull this off though. It is two against fourteen. Though Kelwyn’s mark may help us out. Then again, it may just get us killed that much faster too.”

“Well,” Red said as she rested her hand along Jaeden’s wrist, “what if I were to tell you that you wouldn’t need your mark?”

Jaeden slowly looked out towards the forest once again, before giving a slow nod to seemingly nothing. Before long, the group of Kelvics she had run into along the way suddenly came out of various places they had been sitting in hiding at, much to Jaeden’s surprise. “What if I told you,” Red said, snapping Jaeden’s attention back to her, “that it was actually ten of us, against eleven of them?”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on January 11th, 2012, 3:57 am

It took only five chimes for Jaeden talking with Alpha to learn that, despite his earlier claims, he had come here solely on Red’s request. True enough, he had spoken of wanting to see who Red had made such a fuss about, and now that he had, his curiosity had been sated. Whether this was because Alpha was satisfied that Jaeden was a suitable bondmate for Red, or simply because he wanted to attach a face to Red’s tales of Jaeden, Jaeden himself wasn’t sure.

Jaeden was apprehensive at first, accepting the aid of the Kelvic group. If for no other reasons than Jaeden often hated risking harm to others over his own situations he had fallen into. A combination of Red’s insistence and Alpha’s assurance that they would fair better than he likely thought had convinced him to accept the help. Even if there were small factors like Red’s desire influencing Ranuri slightly and the simple fact that Jaeden could use the help considering such odds.

Whatever they were to do, it had to be soon however, and eventually Jaeden found himself not far from the edge of camp, the Kelvic’s gathered around him. “Exactly what would your plan be?” Alpha then asked silently, standing beside Jaeden in human form for the moment. “Do we all rush them?”

Jaeden slowly shook his head. “No.” Jaeden said, rubbing his chin slightly. “Not only do they outnumber us, even if only by four, but they do have some experience fighting together as well. Especially with Holtan leading them.”

Jaeden looked over all of the Kelvic’s for a moment, his mind shifting over scenarios and how they would end up playing out. Finally, his hand moved, pulling his bow free from his shoulder. “We’ll attack from multiple angles. Start off with having them surrounded.” Jaeden explained, looking to the Kelvics. “Five of them are spear wielders. Red and your coyote fried, as well as three of the wolves will target them. Spears act like deadfalls to bears, so the speed that canines posses will do better against a long weapon like that. Approach the spear men from their sides, never directly at them though. Circle around them and go for disabling strikes like the back of the legs. They won’t be able to effectively wield spears if they can’t stand.”

Jaeden then slowly pointed over to the osprey, which sat perched along the bear Kelvic’s back. “The bird of prey will be looking to distract the crossbow men, so they can’t fire at the others while they’re engaged with others.” Jaeden explained. “Use your natural gift of flight and swoop in with talons aimed. Go after either their eyes, or for the bolt in the crossbows. I’ll be providing support, firing arrows of my own into them as I approach camp, before engaging in melee. There should be about four carrying crossbows. Hopefully they will either be blinded or shot with an arrow by the time I reach camp. If some of the spearmen have fallen by then, we’ll have them outnumbered then.”

“Then that will leave five sword men against the remaining three.” Alpha then commented, looking to Jaeden to see what he had planned.

“Of which, one of you is a bear.” Jaeden replied, motioning to the bear Kelvic. “They may have experience, but none of them are really woodsman. Plus, I suspect most of their experience more or less involves facing other men, and not towering mountains of muscle and teeth like your friend here. His roar alone will likely cause many in that group to hesitate.”

“So you’re saying they won’t attack him or something?” Alpha then said, a slight confused.

“No, they will.” Jaeden corrected, unfastening the cover to his quiver of arrows. “Fact is, when he lets out that roar, chances are all attention will be focused on him, which is why he makes his presence known a couple of ticks after the initial attacks have become. His presence will cause threat assessment to shift. Chances are, some of the spearmen may turn to try and engage him. Which is where the distraction comes into play. While all suddenly focus on him, even if it is for a split moment, their focus isn’t entirely focused on the Kelvic who they were facing, giving them opportune moment to strike.”

Alpha gave a nod then. “So those facing the spear men, if they haven’t brought them down by that moment…?” Alpha then said, beginning to follow Jaeden’s train of thought to Jaeden’s surprise.

“Exactly. They’ll wait for that roar before striking.” Jaeden explained before looking to the bear. “It’s important, though, that you don’t wait to long before then. No more than a few ticks of a chime, or a couple of breaths after the first five have entered. By that time I will have hoped to have gotten two shots off at two different crossbow holders, and hopefully your feathered friend there will have at least taken the bolt or the eyes away from the other two.”

The bear gave a slow nod of its massive head as Jaeden said then, realizing that being late might cost some of her Kelvic companions to be injured. “Hopefully with that, all of the spearmen will be down, at least two of their crossbow men will be disabled.” Jaeden explained. “Then, it’s a matter of one running distraction while another strikes. With the swordsmen, go for their weapon arm. The longsword is still a short enough weapon to be swung from the ground if you take out their legs, but if you injure the arm wielding it, they become much less effective in swinging it with any real lethality.”

“And if the initial plan seems not to be working?” Alpha then asked.

“Then take to the forest. All of you can outrun them while their on foot.” Jaeden explained, pulling an arrow free from his quiver. “Likely they won’t give chase, but if some do, that works to our advantage as well, as all of you and myself can begin hunting them in the denser parts of the forest. If they do give chase to anyone though, it will likely be me, once they realize the arrows being fired at them. Which still works as all of you can begin picking off the ones at the rear as they chase me.”

Alpha gave a final nod, slowly stepping next to the bear Kelvic as well as one other of the wolves. “Give us a short amount of time to get into position. The winged one, who will have the best vantage point, will cry out when we are all where we need to be.” Alpha then said. “Should we move in at his call?”

“No,” Jaeden said simply. “I’ll loose an arrow into one of the crossbow men first. That will provide a distraction and give signal for the initial rush”

Alpha once again gave a nod. “Very well, may all of us see this through without injury.” Alpha then said as they all began to move, each of them taking different routes to begin surrounding the camp.

“One last thing.” Jaeden said as all of them stopped for a moment and looked to Jaeden. “None of you engage Holtan directly. He’s more experienced than the rest, and has the calm to likely not be spooked by the bear. Chances are, if you do try to face him, there won’t be any hesitation or fear in his attacks, and they will likely be lethal. At best, merely run distraction on him until his comrades are down.”

All of them moved once again, not really giving any visual acknowledgement of Jaeden’s warning. Still, Jaeden knew they all understood. Overall, if Jaeden’s plan worked, the battle itself wouldn’t likely last any longer than a couple of chimes. He stood there, for a brief moment, looking towards camp, before finally his gaze fell to Red, who was still looking up at him with confidence. “This won’t be our end, you know?” Red said, giving Jaeden a soft hug.

Jaeden gave a slow nod, running his fingers through Red’s hair before holding the side of her face as his thumb brushed her cheek slightly. “I know, and I’m not worried about it being our end.” Jaeden explained, kissing Red along the brow. “I’m more worried about it being possibly the end for someone else.”

“You can’t protect everyone from harm, Jaeden.” Red said as she slowly slipped away, her hand sliding into his, giving it a brief squeeze before breaking away from him. “Especially if they choose to help you and face the danger willingly. They know the risks, and if they choose to face it, then I would think they are ready for the possibility of that risk actually happening. I know you hate people risking injury or worse for you Jaeden, but they aren’t entirely doing this for you either. As well, if they weren’t willing to risk, then they would have walked away the moment I had broken you free from the witch.”

Jaeden gave a slow smirk, his head lowering for a moment as he scratched his head. “When did you find logic and philosophy?” Jaeden asked, looking to Red as she began to move towards her position.

“Guess I picked it up from you when you weren’t being a horny bastard.” Red said with a soft giggle before finally shifting into fox form, and running off to take her place.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on February 21st, 2012, 4:38 am

It wasn’t long before Jaeden had gotten into and optimum position to take his first shot, couched behind a bush that grew close to a tree nearby the camp. They had just finished erecting Trelissa’s tent, and were now beginning to raise the tents of for the others. Holtan busied himself with carrying things into Trelissa’s large tent, making sure furniture was set up and positioned just the way she liked it. The other men hadn’t noticed Jaeden, or any of the Kelvics that surrounded their camp, despite two of the crossbowmen standing watch. The spearmen of the group had even laid their weapons up against a tree, not far out of reach, but still far enough away that precious ticks of a chime would be lost retrieving them. The other two crossbow men had laid their ranged weapons down next to them as they helped setting up the camp with the others. Their weapons weren’t as far away, but neither did they have a bolt in them, or where they drawn back. After having traveled for the amount of time they had been after the contest, the men hadn’t been expecting any serious trouble. Before that, it seemed they had been more worried about one of the other contestants attacking Trelissa during the journey home. Such thoughts seemed to be put to rest in their minds now.

Jaeden slowly pulled an arrow from his quiver and nocked it into his bow. He then simply waited patiently for his sign. It wasn’t long before the call of the osprey echoed out in the forest, drawing the attentions of some of the men as they looked in the direction of the call, before casually dismissing it and going back to their work. The rest were ready to move, either crouched below foliage in a stalking position, or hidden behind wide trees. Jaeden couldn’t even see most of them from where he stood, but he trusted they were there. Jaeden slowly raised his bow, drawing the arrow back as he leveled it towards the nearest crossbowman that stood guard. He slowed his breathing and steadied his hand. He brought the target into focus as much as he could, drawing the bow string back far enough that his arm strained slightly against the resistance. Then, with a final breath, he relaxed his fingers curled around the string of the bow, releasing that tension instantly as the arrow flew towards its target.

It all began so quickly, and at the same time, things seemed to move in slow motion for Jaeden. The first arrow struck through as it pierced through the side of the neck of the crossbowman standing guard, causing a gargled scream and intense jerking motion from the guard before he fell to the ground. Jaeden’s eyes shifted back and forth, his gaze following the movements of each foe in the camp as they seemed to begin to move in slow motion, adrenalin beginning to flow through Jaeden’s body. The other men shouted alerts as spearmen began to run for their weapons, the crossbowmen reached for their crossbows and began to draw them back so they could be loaded and swordsmen drawing their blades. The other guard slowly began to turn, looking towards the first of his fallen comrades, but then his attention being drawn to the rustling of the forest as the other Kelvics began to move upon the camp, running at full speed. Any aim he was about to take was soon halted as the osprey Kelvic suddenly swooped down from her perch, digging her talons into his face. A wide spread of wings flapped quickly as the Kelvic continued to claw at the guard’s face, her talons targeting eyes in quick grabbing motions as well as the sharp beak thrusting down to accomplish the same. Eventually the guard screamed out in pain, stumbling backwards and dropping his weapon as his hands reached to the gouges made by the osprey’s attack. Chances were he wasn’t completely blinded, but enough damage was done that he would be out of the fight for at least a couple of chimes.

Jaeden was already moving towards camp, another arrow being drawn along his bow, his aim settling on the crossbowman that had reached his weapon first. By that time, Red, the coyote Kelvic and three of the wolf Kelvics had already broken through the edge of their camp. Red had managed, with her speed, to barrel through the spears that had been laid out along the tree, further adding to the spearmen’s detriment of retrieving their weapons. The coyote Kelvic was taking quick bites to one of the spearmen themselves as he hobbled lightly, reaching for his lower leg, backing away form him. The three wolf kelvics were nearly ready to make their own lunges as swordsmen began to move and intercede, Holtan himself finally coming out of the tent.

Jaeden loosed his second arrow, as it flew quickly, zipping past two of the swordsmen before piercing through the right shoulder of another crossbow man. He wouldn’t die from the wound, but he was shot before he could load his crossbow. It would take him twice as long to draw it into a locked position now, if he could even do so at all, and his aim would be out. For the moment, he wasn’t a threat. So far, things were going well. The osprey swooped down, hindering the last of the crossbowmen from even loading his crossbow, as her talons kept grasping at his hands and the crossbow until he would swing at her, before the process would be repeated again. Jaeden was drawing his third arrow now, swordsmen began to move towards the wolves, who now were tearing small chunks of flesh from the calves of, one in particular biting down into the throat of the spearman.

Holtan himself was drawing his sword, and by that time, the bear Kelvic appeared, roaring out loudly. As Jaeden suspected, all of the mercenaries stopped, their bodies jerking in reaction to the sound as their attention focused on the bear. Alpha and the other wolf Kelvic took the advantage, bringing a single swordsman to the ground as their canines tore into flesh. Jaeden took quick aim of what would likely be his final arrow, loosing it quickly as it pierced through the center of the forth crossbowman’s chest. The arrow didn’t escape Holtan’s notice, as his gaze soon swept over in Jaeden’s direction. His face instantly knotted up, his teeth gritting and a hiss of rage seeped from between his teeth. He knew, if Jaeden was involved in this attack, that he was free of Trelissa’s control.

Jaeden had slowed his pace towards the camp now, tossing his composite bow to the side. He slowly reached up, loosening the ties to his cloak as he dropped it to the ground. He could see the battle progressing behind Holtan as the two of them began to approach each other. Jaeden knew it, and Holtan knew it. The other men were at a loss as most of them had already been felled by injury or arrow. One spearman continued to kick at the coyote Kelvic, but soon both him and Red were both biting at the back of his legs, his achillies tendon being ripped out as he fell to the ground in agony. The bear would swat his massive paw at a nearby swordsman, distracted by either Alpha or one of the other wolves, and the mighty strike would find bones or vertebrae shattered before falling to the ground helpless. Jaeden couldn’t help but smile. Most kelvics wouldn’t have even understood a complex plan like that. Alpha did, however, and through that one Kelvic, the rest of them would soon understand as well. They also worked so well together, than Jaeden suspected that they had been traveling together longer than Red and he had been. It wouldn’t be long before the Kelvics were pouncing on the mercenaries, caught completely off guard by the attack, two to one, three to one, and even more as each one would be finished off.

So now, that only left Jaeden and Holtan, as some of the Kelvics began to follow from a short distance behind, echoing threatening growls. Jaeden slowly tossed his cloak aside, letting it fall to the ground as he drew his longsword free from it’s sheath. “How did you break free from her?” Holtan said, his breathing already heavy.

“Red.” Jaeden answered simply. “And as you can see, she brought some help.”

“Trelissa?” Holtan then asked.

Jaeden then simply shook his head. “I won’t talk of a reversal of position or circumstances different.” Jaeden said simply, slowly raising his sword to guard position. “I know you loved her Holtan. The rage in your eyes says it alone. I suspected you might have been just paid handsomely, but I don’t take Trelissa to be the kind of person who pays her followers, not when she can simply subvert them eventually with hypnotism. So, that left love.”

“Tell me what happened to her?” Holtan yelled, his voice echoing in the forest.

“I ended her. For what she did to me, and forced me to do through my mark, I took her life.” Jaeden answered. “It was inevitable end for someone like her. Eventually she would have tried to control the wrong person if not me. Likely one of the other contestants of that game she put me into. Then, they would have struck back for such.”

Holtan’s eyes slammed shut, his head slowly shaking from side to side as he ground his teeth, breathing even more heavily now. “I’ll kill you, here and now.” Holtan hissed, looking at Jaeden once again. “Or are you going to be a coward and have your beasts do me in, rather than fighting me yourself?”

“No,” Jaeden said calmly. “You’re good Holtan. Not good enough to take all of them on at once, but good enough that you would kill at least one or two of them before they took you down, and I won’t risk any of them. They’ve already done more than enough. I was helped to this point, but from here on out, I will fight you to win back my freedom.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on March 19th, 2012, 7:24 am

There was a quiet that fell over the campsite as Jaeden and Holtan stared at each other, their swords leveled at each other as their eyes just stared into each other. The quiet that had fallen on Holtan and Jaeden didn’t extend to the others as growls and calls of the animal roars echoed out from them. Only Red and Alpha had transformed into their human form, both of them watching intently. “Are they going to start?” Alpha asked Red curiously, neither Jaeden or Holtan seeming to register his voice.

“I don’t know.” Red replied, wrapping her arms around her body. “I haven’t seen Jaeden concentrating this much before. It means Holtan’s at least as good as he is.”

Before another questions could be asked, a brisk wind quickly made it’s way through the camp as leaves where kicked up in its wake. One such leave crossed between the locked gazes of Jaeden and Holtan, and it proved to be the concentration breaker between the two. Muscles tightened as their feet dug into the ground and rushed their bodies forward. Frames that seemed large and sturdy suddenly moved with a speed that seemed unnatural to their physical build and weight, the fluidity of their movements betraying a grace that seemed impossible for their frame. Swords swung in blurred motion, moving so quickly that most of the Kelvics who observed couldn’t follow it. The sounds their swords made when they collided, however, the Kelvic’s heard. Each clash echoed out like a cry of violence when there was an attack and defense, causing other animals in the forest to cry out in a startle as Red winced slightly.

Jaeden stepped backwards, his arm and body making sudden movements as Holtan attacked with a rage and single minded focus to see Jaeden dead. Jaeden’s own blade moved upward in the path of Holtan’s attack, his body moving away as he did so. Jaeden had to be patiently, everywhere he looked he failed to see that opening where he could strike. Even as Jaeden caught Holtan on a strike where he would lunge just an inch too much, he found his attacks being blocked as he rushed forward on a counter offensive, Jaeden’s sword moving swiftly in slashes and thrusts, his body spinning and dropping as he attacked low and high. Each time, Jaeden found his attack parried or blocked.

Jaeden then decided to take a risk. Holtan came forward with a thrust, as Jaeden parried the strike to the side, he spun his body with the parry, moving around behind Holtan in one fluid motion. Jaeden’s left hand snatched out, grasping Holtan by the back of his armor. The grappling aspect of Jaeden’s swordplay is what generally took most opponents by surprise. This time however, Jaeden was given a surprise of his own when, instead of suddenly pulling Holtan onto his back, he found Holtan’s left arm suddenly swing around and slipping over top of Jaeden’s. Further still, Holtan twisted Jaeden’s arm as Holtan’s forearm began to pressure along Jaeden’s elbow joint, causing’s Jaeden’s body to bend backwards in order to alleviate the pressure being applied. The counter had been a surprise to Jaeden, so much so that he barely had the time to parry the incoming thrust that Holtan had been aiming for Jaeden’s chest after capturing his arm.

Jaeden quickly forced Holtan’s sword to the side, about throw an attack of his own by ramming the hilt of his sword into Holtan’s face. Holtan was a step in front of him as he suddenly rushed his head forward just as Jaeden was pushing his sword to the side. Holtan brow firmly slammed into Jaeden’s face, catching the tip of his nose and upper lip as Jaeden staggered back. “You’re not good enough.” Holtan said, his breathing elevated a little as he lightly rubbed his brow. “You still have something to live for. I have nothing to lose, so I don’t mind taking bigger risks.”

“That argument could be reversed.” Jaeden said after spitting out a small amount of blood from his mouth, dragging his wrist across his mouth. “Some might say that having something to live for makes one fight harder, better. The risks one takes and the abandon of fear that comes with having nothing to lose? Well, sometimes it causes that person to lose sight and focus in tactics.”

“I piss on you and all of your teachings.” Holtan then snapped, slowly moving his body as he began to circle around Jaeden, Jaeden matching his movements, keeping Holtan in front of him. “The only thing I want is your death.”

Jaeden’s body then slowly turned, his right foot sliding forward, his knees bending slightly and his sword behind held out in front of him with his right hand. Slowly, his left hand reached out, grasping the lower part of the hilt of his longsword.

“Two hands with a one handed weapon.” Holtan said, shaking his head slightly as if Jaeden were being stupid. “Here I thought you were pretty skilled.”

Jaeden didn’t answer however, instead his mind drifted, just for a moment, back to when he was a young child, back to when his mentor Olevar was still alive, still teaching him. The various ways that a longsword could be used. He always taught Jaeden to primarily attack with one hand and keep the other free for grappling with your opponent, about using the hilt of the sword to strike when they had moved in past the guard of the sword, about several tactics. There was one lesson, however, Jaeden remember more instinctively, and that was when Olevar taught him how to use his longsword with both hands.

“There was a time, when I was young, that I had three of my fingers on my sword hand dislocated and my wrist sprained.” Jaeden said, looking to Holtan as he moved his right foot forward just a little more, bending his knees and raising his sword over his head. “And it was all during simple training.”

“You’re completely open at your torso, you know that right?” Holtan said as he began to inch forward, pulling his sword back slightly and readying his attack. “Are you trying to tell me that you’re ready to give up your life?”

“If that is what you think, then strike?” Jaeden simply said.

Holtan didn’t hesitate, rushing forward as he covered the distance between Jaeden and himself in under two ticks of a chime. His own sword was thrust forward, aiming for that opening Jaeden had presented as the sword began to rush for Jaeden’s heart. Holtan found his eyes blinking just for a moment as he caught the glimmer of light as sunlight reflected off the surface of Jaeden’s own sword before it swung at a speed that Holtan couldn’t fully follow. A blur of steel and sudden clang of metal clashing against metal had happened in less time it took for Holtan to blink his eyes. And the force of the strike was twice as powerful as Holtan found his sword being knocked out of his grasp by a simple parry.

Holtan had no time to add question to surprise as Jaeden’s sword finished its range of the first swing and was immediately brought back for a follow up swing. The result of which found Holtan’s chest practically cleaved open from the lower ribs of his left side to his right clavical where it met the joint of his shoulder. Armor, clothing, skin, muscle and bone offered very little resistance as the force of Jaeden’s strike cut completely through what it came into contact with, severing through lungs and one artery. His heart had just been missed, but it only meant that Holtan would live a chime or two longer. The lethality of the strike hand been done, and Holtan knew he was going to die as all of his strength left him and he fell back to the ground, his lungs filling with blood and his vision already blurring.

Jaeden stood over Holtan, looking down into his eyes. “The raised sword was the feint.” Jaeden said, slowly wiping his blade clean of Holtan’s blood. “Openings presented to you as bait, which in your anger you took. The real skill behind the strike, was the fact that I was holding my sword with two hands. It’s why the hilt is extended longer than a conventional longsword. The blade moves faster, the strikes stronger when you wield a weapon with both hands. Everyone knows this, but most don’t truly seem to grasp the concept behind it. I may have sacrificed some defense by occupying my free hand with my sword, but you failed to really see this when all you looked at was the opening I presented you. So much that you failed to completely keep a good grip on your sword when a parry was given using all of my strength. Though it wouldn’t have made much difference hand you been defending either. The dislocated fingers I told you I had received as a child? It had happened when I defended a similar attack from my mentor. Sometimes, overpowering an opponent doesn’t require a weapon that’s bigger than you and heavy.”

Jaeden then slowly sheathed his sword. “You want to know what the real tragedy is here, Holtan?” Jaeden said as he looked to Holtan, seeing he was ticks from death. “The real tragedy is that Trelissa already had her champion in you, but you never tried to make her realize it.”

Holtan then fell motionless, blood beginning to pour out of his mouth as his eyes closed and his life ended. Jaeden slowly stepped away from Holtan, moving over towards Red as his eyes remained locked with hers. “Sorry I was late.” Red said with a soft smile, her eyes beginning to water up now that it was all over.

Jaeden didn’t say anything at first. Rather, he simply pulled Red into an embrace, his head leaning forward as his cheek rested along the top of her head. Red returned that embrace, burying her face into Jaeden’s chest as they both took a moment for themselves, despite the other Kelvics that were still present with them. “You still came for me, and you pulled me free.” Jaeden said in return. “How long it took doesn’t matter.”

“You still owe me that pampering that you promised and more.” Red said jokingly as she tipped her head back, looking up into Jaeden’s face.

“We’ll make a day of it.” Jaeden answered with a smile.

Their moment was soon broken up as Alpha suddenly cleared his throat. “Well, seeing as how things are done here, I believe me an my companions shall be moving on.” Alpha then said, giving a slow nod to Red.

“Thank you for your help.” Red said, sincerely to Alpha. Overall, such a thing was rare for the fox Kelvic.

“Don’t suppose you would be interested in taking the chest of gold that Trelissa had as a reward for helping me?” Jaeden said, looking to Holtan.

Alpha slowly shook his head. “We’ve freed ourselves of material needs, Jaeden.” Alpha replied. “There may be a few things that we might take, but it will mainly be their food and rations. Winter is coming up and the bear is going to be taking his long nap soon. In the end though, it was worth the help we provided to actually meet a human that sees Kelvics as more than just tools or servants. They are rare in this day and age.”

Jaeden slowly gave a nod. “Likely not quite as rare as you might think, but all the same, yes. They’re not common.” Jaeden said extending his hand to Alpha. “If ever I can return the help for you though, I will.”

Alpha stared down at Jaeden’s hand for a long moment before looking back up to the human, a smile on his face. “Hand shaking isn’t my custom.” Alpha said slowly walking away now with the others.

Before Jaeden could reply, Alpha had shifted to his animal form as he and the others of his group made their way into the deep forest without another word. “Hmm.” Jaeden said with a soft smile appearing on his face.

“You get it, right?” Red said, slipping off to the side as her arm slung around Jaeden’s waist.

Jaeden gave a slow nod. “Indeed. No point in saying goodbye if we intend to meet again.” Jaeden replied, looking down to Red.

“Goodbyes do feel so final.” Red replied as she then turned the both of them around and began leading Jaeden towards Fortunado. “So can we go back to camp so you can give me what you promised?”

“Obviously.” Jaeden replied, slipping his cloak and arm over Red’s frame, keeping her close to him. “But first we poke around their camp for a moment.”

“Scavenge?” Red replied with a smirk.

“I sort of when through a lot, Red.” Jaeden said looking down to her. “May as well get some sort of compensation. Besides, winter is coming, and I think it’s high time we got you some things to guard against the elements of that season. You shivered so much when not traveling around as a Fox last winter.”

“Not all the time.” Red said with a smile.

“We can’t spend all winter in the tent naked and sharing body heat Red.” Jaeden said with a chuckle. “Even if it would be nice. Just go ahead and grab what can be carried or dragged by Fortunado. No overloading him though. Or us. We’ll be walking the rest of the way back after all.”

With that said, Jaeden and Red began searching through the camp for things that they could take back easily with them. Things like the tents and the wagon would be left behind. Most of the horses freed if they refused to be lead back due to attachments with their previous owners. Weapons and gold they would take what they could carry, but not the entire chest as such would prove to be too cumbersome to travel with, if not make them a bigger target. It would be a long journey back to Syliras. If Jaeden was going to break the isolation from the cities that he had been partaking in, he would at least make the trip worth it.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Emblem on March 19th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Congratulations!
You Get Glorious Experience!

Jaeden
Skills
    Weapon: Composite Longbow- 5 XP
    Weapon: Longsword- 5 XP
    Rhetoric- 5 XP
    Philosophy- 4 XP
    Acrobatics- 4 XP
    Massage- 3 XP
    Trapping- 2 XP
    Skill 2
Lores
    A Year Passes in a Day
    Heckling Captors
    Emotionless
    Against the Beast
    Elruthae- Partial
    The Kelvic Brigade

Comments :
Damn that was quite a thread! Awesome work on it! Alright, so as a material reward, go ahead and add 250gm to your ledger, taken from the chest. In addition, add 2 crossbows, a longsword, a spear, and 40 bolts to your items. These could be sold in Syliras for something less than market price, since they are used and most likely not in top quality. Hopefully lores and skills make sense to you and if not, shoot me a PM!
Currently working at new job so I am still trying to balance it out with Miza. I apologize for any delays.
Emblem
Retired Staff

Words: 50846
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2012, 5:56 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous