Salt of the Earth (Sama'el)

Holed up in a blizzard again, Sama'el inducts Ronan in Reimancy...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

Postby Ronan on March 23rd, 2012, 5:57 pm

Ronan smiled wanly. He felt lucky to have gotten the element he had. Earth was stable, strong, and certainly less flammable than Sama'el's burning magicks.

"Yes... I can see how fire would be a little tricky to get right. I'd be a little toasted by now, wouldn't I?" Ronan spoke in a wry, deadpan voice, raising an eyebrow at Sama'el to try and be funny.

Sometimes, he knew he just had to loosen up a little.

Sama'el pulled him up from the ground, and he blinked heavily, standing still for a moment to let the weird feelings in his head settle. He was bound to be a little mixed up after being invaded by another's soul.

They then walked, to go and get some food and drink, and replenish Ronan's energy. Sama'el slapped his back in a sign of camaraderie. He took it well, knowing it was just Sam showing his friendship.

"You can play cook," Ronan said with a mischevous grin, "I'm spent."
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Words: 305663
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on March 29th, 2012, 3:19 am

"Once singed all the hair off my arms," he noted, rubbing his forearms. He wasn't exactly a hairy beast to begin with, so he couldn't really afford much singing. He grinned ruefully. "Spent, huh? Well, I promise I won't tell Kavala you have no staying power."

He fake dodged a blow that probably wouldn't come, but he kept close in case Ronan needed a shoulder to lean on. Magic was a strange thing, and it took time to get used to it. People's bodies reacted differently, and while Ronan seemed to be taking it well, it was anyone's guess how the day would progress.

Once they were out in the bracing cold, he added two small logs to the cook fire, pointing a finger and funneling his res at it to ensure it lit evenly. He shrugged and said, "Sometimes I cheat."

But he let the fire burn down some while he pulled strips of elk meat out of the snow where they were preserving them, saving their salt for curing hides as opposed to foods. Those went into the pan, along with some snow and pinches of this spice and that, most of it stuff that could be found around Cyphrus. He didn't truck with spending much money on fripperies of culinary delight. Then again, if he eventually married a woman who could cook well, he wouldn't complain either.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ronan on March 30th, 2012, 10:41 am

"Ouch," Ronan said at Sama'el's singed hair story. They were always told not to play with fire - lest you be burnt.

When he made the joke about Kavala, Ronan swiped for him mockingly, fist balled like a boxer. The Watcher dodged out of the way, his grin playful. Ronan was getting used to the man's jokes. Slowly, at any rate.

The jerky movement made him feel a little lightheaded, so he sat straight again for a moment, gathering his thoughts and his composure. Then they went to the cook fire, and Sam lit it with his res.

"It's not cheating," Ronan said with a firm nod, "it's initiative. In Endrykas, aren't we always taught to use whatever we have?"

He watched Sam place tender strips of the meat into the pan, adding a few spices. The aroma that began to waft up was resonant. It went to Ronan's heart, since the smell was so familiar. They were Cyphrus herbs, cooking smells so frequently smelt in the tent city.

Ronan softened, sitting back down to watch Sama'el cook. "It's smells like home."
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 7th, 2012, 11:24 pm

His magically enhanced fire quickly melted the snow and set the water to a slow boil, the spices braising the meat into what he imagined would be quite tasty. It was simple fare, but he was more concerned with the survival of the group he led than the delights of their palates. The scent did indeed remind him of the grasslands they called home, the native spices releasing a bit of the land's soul here in the frozen north.

He ruminated a bit over his task, wondering if he would lose Ronan to Kavala. It wasn't that he didn't want the both of them to be happy, and perhaps he was looking too far into the future for what might not be all that serious. But he liked the idea of Ronan being at his side as he Watched the Sea of Grass, and Kavala being there in the Sanctuary, a Konti oracle on the edges of Drykas territory, although he supposed she wasn't exactly an oracle. But he would have to learn to let go. Ronan could join the Watch and live in the Sanctuary. Riding Striders, they could time their rotational circuits to spend time together.

The Drykas weren't tame. They had to be free.

"Yes," he said finally, agreeing. "I'll be glad to find this Izurabelle Matlian and her brood and get them back to where it's warm." Though he wondered whether the Sanctuary could protect her from the need of the Akalak nation, or if a ghostly husband could protect her, even. They were mad, the blue men.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ronan on April 9th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Ronan accepted his share of the meal, digging into the meat gratefully. Warm spice burst in his mouth, salivating and euphoric.

"Thank you," he said in between chews, "not just for the food. For the Reimancy. For... everything. I don't know if you truly realise your signifiance, Sam. I have you to thank for everything. For changing my path. For showing me a way."

He put his food down for a moment, and smiled, oblivious to the look of fear on Sam's fear. Fear of loss.

He had a new skill. Something else to hone, to wield, to use to further him along the road he wished to travel. In his soul he now held the salt of the earth, and he could wield Semele's element in times of need. With time, he would have greater control.

"So thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Thank you."
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Creeper on April 11th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Ronan Windsong

Skills
Observation: 1
Reimancy (Earth): 3
Boxing: 1

Lores
Reimancy: The Initiation Process
Reimancy: Calling Forth Res
Reimancy: Converting Res to Earth Outside the Body

Other
Minor Dagger Cut
Minor Weariness from Overgiving

Congratulations to the newest Geomancer! Well done on being Initiated. A pleasant read indeed.

Sama'el

Skills
Leatherworking: 2
Reimancy: 2
Teaching: 3
Observation: 1
Food Preservation: 1
Cooking: 1
Wilderness Survival: 1
Auristics: 0 None rewarded for playing above level.
A novice Aurist can focus on one aura at a time, discovering only basic facts about it. The process requires almost all of his concentration, has a short range and leaves him tired.

Lores
Ronan Windsong: Geomancer
Wilderness Survival: Keeping a Fire Going
Recipe: Spiced Elk Strips

Other
None

A good and proper teacher. Nice introspection, a lovely read. Keep Ronan in line!
Creeper
My Bark is Worse Than My Bite

Words: 261058
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: DS of The Spires, Northern Wastes, and Overseeing Avanthal
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Previous