Shielding ghosts?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Shielding ghosts?

Postby Ssafirsotibones on March 28th, 2012, 6:45 pm

-So, A bit of a question, can shields be used to stop ghosts?

At its base level, a shield blocks djed. And a ghost is made up of an exposed soul, which is tightly packed djed, with an outer layer of soulmist.

-So would it be possible for a shield tasked to block djed, to stop a ghost from going through?

Along with that, would that mean the only reason a person can normally walk through a shield is because there soul is shielded by there body they are in?

-If that is true, then would them simply possessing someone be enough to allow them to walk through the shield, using the possessed body as a insulator for there soul the same as a person normally does with there body?

-Even if a shield cannot block a ghost, would they still be able to block there soulmist?

The outer layer of a ghost is soulmist, so would a shield tasked to block djed stop soulmist, making it either impossible for the ghost to touch and pick up the object using soulmist projection, or to mean they would have to leave there soulmist behind to go through, therefore painfully stripping them of there soulmist?

-And if a shield is also tasked to absorb djed, would that mean any ghost trying to go through the shield would have its soulmist sucked off of it, and absorbed by the shield?

-Or would it require the shield to be biologically tasked by interweaving soulmist from a spiritist to keep out soulmist, thus then making it impossible for a ghost to go send there soulmist through, having to either leave it painfully behind, or unable to touch the object shielded?

So, various shielding/ghost questions, hoping someone can help me out here.
Bones is a Constrictor Dhani. He likes to eat meat. He also has some speech problems.

When he speaks, a double s (ss) means a [th] sound, that he cannot say.

A triple s (sss) means just an [s], but it is extended in his speech.

Ssafirsotibones
Player

Words: 440799
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2011, 5:37 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Shielding ghosts?

Postby Xalet on April 2nd, 2012, 8:37 pm

This has been hanging around for a while, so I'll take a stab at it. Back when I had a lot more time and was on my Ghost kick, I asked a lot of questions about Ghosts and got some pretty good answers. Obviously due to the somewhat nebulous nature of Ghosts, things are subject to change, but this was the information I got.

Ghosts don't have Djed. Their Djed is shot, dead, kaput, useless. If you go into a situation trying to effect Djed and hoping it will effect a Ghost, it won't. In other words if you try to Leech a Ghost, you're out of luck. If you erect a barrier that stops Djed to confine or halt a Ghost, you're out of luck.

I'm actually not sure where you got the 'outer layer is Soulmist' thing. A Ghost IS Soulmist. Can a Shielding magic block Soulmist? No clue, I haven't messed much with that magic, but Soulmist is not Djed. It's the reason a Ghost can't perform any Personal Magic without jacking someone elses body and using their Djed to fuel the spells. If you can block Soulmist, you can block a Ghost...for the most part. Generally the best magicy defense against a Ghost is a Spiritist.
Last edited by Xalet on April 2nd, 2012, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xalet
The answer is more Body Building.

Words: 539431
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Shielding ghosts?

Postby Gossamer on April 2nd, 2012, 8:39 pm

You can task a shield to do just about anything... if you have biological matter or say soulmist that the ghost runs off of you could even block for a specific ghost if you had enough knowledge and expertise on them and the magic of shielding itself.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)