[Tallis' Scrapbook] tick-tock-BOOM!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Tallis on April 3rd, 2012, 7:36 am

Two more pictures because I just freaking love Kearney.

At the edge of a Beaver Pond. Apparently those busy critters turned a little meadow into this amazing pond over the course of one summer!

And what we considered a trail. It's an amazing feeling being in a forest so large that you can't see through to the other side.

Last edited by Tallis on September 19th, 2012, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tallis on April 3rd, 2012, 7:42 am

And one trio of pictures depicting the beautiful clearing where we ate lunch after orienteering

Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tallis on April 3rd, 2012, 7:51 am

I see London, I see France

Well, not yet! But I will in two days time.

After bombarding you with pictures and stories of my time roughing it and keeping to the basics at scenic Camp Kearney, I've been blessed with the chance to pull a 180 and visit the most expensive towns in the world!

It's the 95th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, and I'll be there honouring our troops with the best of 'em. And trust me, there will be many pictures. I'll be spending two days in London, one day in the Normandy region, two days at Vimy, and two days in France. And there are two more free days somewhere in between. I'll be travelling non-stop and tourist bombing everything, everywhere.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gabrielle Seawind on April 4th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Beautiful pics! I want to experience something like that as well!

:) Have fun in London.
Gabrielle Seawind
Just Another Pirate

Words: 116325
Joined roleplay: November 1st, 2011, 12:34 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tallis on April 22nd, 2012, 1:56 am

F i n a l l y h o m e !

This update should have been here a looong time ago, but I was tired and it's here now! Anyways, London and Paris were amazing! My time there was way too short and hectic. I honestly have to go back again and spend a much longer time there.

London was beautiful, partially due to the clean-up process for the Summer Olympics. I could've spent at least 2 weeks there, but alas, I only had 4 days. I saw large landmarks such as the Thames, Green Park, Piccadilly Circus, Westminster Palace and Abbey, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace. I even got to walk through the Canada Gates at Buckingham Palace, something which is normally closed off to visitors.And I saw a lot of museums, mostly because they are totally FREE. I love that. Off the top of my head, I managed to get into the National Museum, the War Museum, and Churchill's war rooms. There were a lot of other places I visited, but I'd rather move on with this story.

** SIDE NOTE: The public transportation! The subway lines are so dense and confusing! Much crazier than the stupid TTC, that's for sure. And they go so far underground! Riding the escalators is kind of like being on an amusement park ride. And the double-decker buses are amazing touristy fun. **

Anyways, one quick ferry ride from the White Cliffs of Dover, and we were in France! Oh my. The French keep everything so neat and tidy. The perfect little towns and houses, with the well groomed countryside. Paris is a different story. The contrast between the high-life and the bum-life were just amazing. Every building in Paris has AMAZING architecture. Every little detail goes into making these buildings look perfect. And then you have the hobo-shacks under bridges and on the sides of the highway. But even those were rather artistic.

French landmarks I visited included: The Eiffel tower, riding on the Seine, the Louvre... and if it weren't for my terrible French, I'd remember the names of a lot more. OH! THE PALACE OF VERSAILLES. I can't even begin to explain how awesome that place was.

Anyways. I'll probably be scrap-booking about this over the course of a month or two. For now, I have to catch up on tons of schoolwork and decide on a university to go to for next year :o

Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tallis on May 3rd, 2012, 3:39 am

B A N D !

So these are some of my favourite people. I've been with most of these kids for over six years now and we've been to over 1000 band practices together. I can't believe it's ending. Last night, I played my final note on our stage and it just sunk in that I'll never have to spend another monday night, tuesday afternoon, or friday morning sitting in Room 100 making music.

Of course, I've still got Jazz Band and Nationals, but it's just not the same. You can tell from our smiles that Band isn't tiring for us. It isn't a hassle or an unwanted commitment. Every rehearsal makes us happy, even if we grumble and gripe, and it really shows in this picture.

I think I finally understand the saying: "You don't know what you've got til it's gone."

*feeling bittersweet*
Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Musca on May 3rd, 2012, 11:17 am

Hey Tallis! As another about-to-graduate person, I know what you mean. It does strike a chord of melancholia... all those classrooms that we'll never again step into, those teachers that we'll never get to bitch about again.... and those other students that had the power to determine the overall mood by the end of the day...it's hard to believe those days would soon end. But hey, life inevitably goes on. Change is crucial after all. :)

And to end this reply on an annoyingly cliched and optimistic note: keep your chin up kid! We have our lives right ahead of us and it will be fantasmical! Keep up the good work!
don't worry, be happy!

Musca
derp derp derp derp

Words: 68348
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2012, 5:41 am
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tallis on August 29th, 2012, 5:06 pm

U N I V E R S I T Y

TL;DR summary – The mere idea of going to University has caused me to question my entire life.

So I guess this is the next big step in my life. Well, at least it’s not that big physically speaking. My school’s only going to be an hour and a half away from home. But it is going to be a crazy new experience. I don’t think I’ve fully wrapped my head around the idea of living away from home. Doing my own laundry, making (some of) my own meals, living with people who aren’t my parents. Oh yeah, my parents.

Sometimes I’m glad to be moving away from them and sometimes I don’t know how I’m going to live without them. It’s a weird mix of emotions. I’m relieved that they won’t be breathing down my neck every second, but then again I’m also nervous that I won’t do well without them there to keep me on track!

And I’m nervous about making new friends. I’ve been in the gifted program since elementary school. I’ve seen the same old faces for the past decade and now they won’t be there. Well, there are five friends I know, but only two are in the same faculty as I am and I’m not too close with them. But that’s not the point. I’ve always had that feeling of family in the gifted program. People I could count on if I got lost or needed help. And now they’re gone and I feel like I have to fend for myself.

I’ll admit it, my first day of high-school was a bust. We had a half-day to pick up our student cards, schedules, and agendas. I forgot to bring my backpack so I had my friend hold them for me. I didn’t pick them up from him when I went home. I showed up to school the first full-day with no idea where my friend was and no idea where I should be. I missed my first class of high-school. I don’t want that to happen in university! Sure attendance doesn’t matter as much and I can’t get detentions and all that. But my parents are paying so much money and they expect so much from me. I can’t let them down.

And it’s not just them. My friends, my other family, my other family friends, my old teachers, my neighbours, my old coworkers, ALL OF THESE PEOPLE EXPECT ME TO DO WELL. I EXPECT ME TO DO WELL. But I don’t know… I’m probably worrying for no reason...

I think the one thing that gets me the most scared is that I don’t know what the future holds for me and I don’t know what I WANT the future to hold for me. I’m going into an Honours Program for Business and Psychology with Co-op Placement, but it’s not a choice I made out of passion or drive or love. It’s an intellectual decision.

I’ve always hated the sciences. I’ve always been good at math, but I haven’t loved it. I’ve always loved English class, but my Chinese immigrant parents don’t see any usefulness in that. They want me to be a scientist or doctor or something science-y or doctor-y. I’ve always told them that science isn’t the path for me, and they’ve never agreed with me.

Back to the point. I’m taking business because if all else fails, at least I’ll have that to fall back on. And I’m taking Psychology because I’ve always had an interest in it, but it’s never been a passionate interest. I don’t read psychology papers in my free time. I don’t study psychology in my free time. I love social experiments. I love listening to my friend’s rant and giving them advice. But is predicting a break-up psychology? Is knowing the right words to say to someone psychology? Do I love psychology enough to do it for the rest of my life? Do I even really like psychology? I really don’t know now.

I wish I was one of those people who could set long-term goals, but I can’t. And I don’t know if that’s normal or not. I haven’t really opened up to anyone about these fears and I can only hope that someone out there understands. If you’re still reading this, BLESS YOU. BLESS YOU, GOOD SIR/MADAM.

I don’t have big dreams. I just want an average sized house in the city, I want to drive a nice dependable car, have a nice small family, work a nice job. I don’t want to be a millionaire. I don’t want to be famous. I don’t want to change the world. I love my mediocrity. It’s comfortable.

Well anyways. University seems like this HUGE step towards independence, and I guess that scares me. Can I live on my own? Can I live up to the expectations of others? SHOULD I live up to the expectations of others or just live the way I want? What if living the way I want NOW means I won’t get to live the way I want to in the future?

My life has been so structured and predictable up until now. High school was the same every year. Take these set courses, do the work and pass, and repeat. Now that I’ve got my credits and graduated, what do I do? There are no set guidelines anymore and I’ve never had to deal with that before.

Yup.

/endrant
Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tallis on August 30th, 2012, 5:38 pm

On a happier note from the last post.

These two videos are created by WolfSmoke, one of my absolute favourite animation artists.

This is his work with DC reimagining Batman in 1930's shanghai. I'm absolutely in love with the over-the-top fight scenes.

This is another of his earlier animations called "Kung Fu Cooking Girls". It's in Mandarin, but the plot is pretty easy to follow: a traveller has arrived in town and he's dying of hunger. Two competitive vendors try to get him to eat at their respective restaurants, but the competition soon turns deadly with the poor traveller stuck in the crossfire. It's completely hilarious.

Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tallis on September 19th, 2012, 6:59 am

Well damn, Uni isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. In fact, it's way better.

*SIDENOTE*
I'm sad to see that, for some reason, my pictures of kearney have disappeared. hopefully I can find them again.
*END*

So anways, I'm in an Arts and Business program. So my business courses include: Introduction to Business, and Economics. My arts electives include: Psychology (which I want to major in), Math (pre-stats), and French.

Time really flies by in uni. I'll update this post later.
Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext