[Flashback]Raw Interpretations (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Zandelia on April 28th, 2012, 2:51 am

Summer 23, 504 AV – The Shooting Star Inn

Zandelia had been directed towards The Shooting Star Inn when she had first crossed the craggy landscape and meandered her way into the multi-peaked city of Lhavit at the end of her journey. She had hired herself out as a guard and general hand of a caravan headed towards the ‘city of glass’ as she had colloquially heard it referenced as. Nothing had prepared her for the truth, however, her own perspectives being unraveled and lain bare before being remade into a stranger shape than before. It was a smaller and less beleaguered population that she had been faced with too, the people not seeming to know of their own narrow grip upon mortality. In many ways she had found herself envying them and their easy ways, as she saw it. Sunberth was her home, a city where death lay around every corner and it had taken much adjustment to refocus her mentality to even come close to integrating with the locals.

Still, she had managed to ingratiate herself easily enough with those of the delicately decorated tavern, her easy smiles and her coin purse proving to pave the way towards acceptance relatively easily. She had rented out one of the ‘ordinary’ rooms of the tavern for a number of weeks in advance, her collected wages upon her travels more than enough to pay for it. She had been stunned by its interior, used to grimy cots and cramped conditions as she was. Now, a week forwards in time, she sat within the main room, upon a cushioned chair, and debated whether her mind had become unhinged or whether she truly was surrounded by beauty and relaxation at most turnings. Her distrusting nature had done her no favors in terms of acceptance, sure that there was something sinister waiting to happen to her – that somehow she had been noticed and a plan had been out into action to rob, violate and kill her in any number of ways.

There has to be a downside, there has to be! Or else… she found herself thinking aggressively, knowing that if there was not then the suffering in her own city was made all the more pointless. She was not one to ruminate much upon the worse parts of life but in her current environment it seemed like Sunberth had been created by a torturer’s hands.

“Come on Zandelia, pull it together now! Keep your wits about you, you’ve enough money to cause more than one head to turn” she whispered to herself as she sipped upon the tea she had ordered, pungant and soothing to her frayed senses.

As she sat she watched the other patrons with disguised suspicion, keeping a mental note of faces and actions, of words and exchanges. She was no fool, she knew where importance lay and it was in people. If she could but understand them, comprehend their motives and desires, then she could unravel the ball of tightly knit yarn that was Lhavit. It was as she watched the newest entry into the establishment that her paranoid nature was given yet another cause to inflate and spread though out her consciousness. The man her single-eyed gazed pinned upon was of no note beyond any other. His clothes were finer than some, his mannerisms more charming and erudite. She had heard him speak at length upon the philosophies of love and lust, her own considerable attention span waning after the first few visits as he tried, all too often in vain, to engage her in such conversations.

Foolish little fly, talking of love in a world motivated by desire rather than romantic gobbledegook she scolded him internally as her countenance came into a dark frown at is approach, his steps faltering slightly as a semi-dismayed look crossed his face and he took a seat a few table away – on this occasion.

It was then that the mechanical nature of her thoughts relayed to her what her sub-conscious had been trying to do for days now. She had seen him one too many times in her wandering throughout the Zintia part of the many platforms of the city. As she turned her consideration upon her memories she noticed now how he seemed to appear throughout her day at regular intervals. When she wandered the markets and shops she ran into him and his detestable smile. As she turned to take in her surroundings he seemed to be behind her all too often. She considered this information, looking at it from every possible angle she could conceive of. She was not overly interesting to the people of Lhavit, merely another face in the crowd – though a scarred one to be sure. He had met her enough times in the tavern alone to have satiated his curiosity.

Unless…it is something more that he wants. I have money, he perhaps seeks to rob me of that though he seems fairly well funded enough to make it seem like a pointless endeavor. He could merely be psychotic, perhaps, though he looks more a dandy than a sociopath. Perhaps he wants my body? she continued to think through the logical possibilities as she noted his gaze kept flicking to her, obviously thinking she was too deep in thought to notice.

She finished her tea as she ruminated and, offered another one, declined politely. She had concluded that if he was indeed following her then he would know her routines. She had enough raw data upon his appearances to presume he had taken some time in observation of her daily meanderings. She favored the markets and the gardens, sometimes spent time crossing the many bridges just to take in the view in recurring awe. She could have called herself foolish as she hatched her scheme, however she had nothing better to do and wished to know, once and for all, why the man was so insufferably present in her existence.

She headed to the door without a backwards glance, sure that she could net herself a tricky fish if she but tried hard enough.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Zandelia on April 28th, 2012, 5:33 pm

It was as she exited into the warm sunshine, her ears waiting for the door to thud closed, that she changed her direction from her usually predictable routine. The threshold barring her from sight and speed kindling its energies within her she took a few paces towards the corner of the Shooting Star Inn, rounded it and awaited what she was sure would be the man, exiting the tavern in his shadowed pursuit of herself as usual. In the lee of the corner now, hidden from sight but for a few glances towards the door every so often, she found herself to be in no real hurry. She was worried to be sure, her senses convinced that they could feel danger a short period ahead in time, however in her current potion she was relatively safe. In broad daylight there was little that could befall her she knew, it was the night when the city became more boisterous that she would have to solidify her guard.

Wait…that’s not right! Don’t need to keep my guard up yet? What has this city done to me? she wondered, her thoughts stumbling slightly as she caught herself beginning to betray everything she had ever learnt. She shook her head with an audible growl as she consciously forced her caution to recover her like a blanket.

She slapped her cheeks a few times in exasperation at her complacency as she resumed her vigil, emerald green eye fixed upon the door constantly now, awaiting the time to make her move. Patience was a virtue that Zandelia possessed much of, though only when there was a cause worth devoting it to. Her own life was of prime importance to her, and thus qualified. Time passed slowly, dragging its duty feet even more than usual as she tried to resist boredom overcoming her, instead keeping herself busy with further bouts of critical thinking, dissecting motives and means. She began not by trying to analyze the man, she knew too little of him to build much of reliability after all, no she instead considered her day to day routine for weaknesses that could be exploited. It was more likely, in her mind, that if she could make a sound wager upon when whatever plans were out into motion that she could defend against them. The fact that there could be no plans was a possibility she could not even attempt to fathom – there was always something happening to her.

“He knows where I go, so he knows what I do probably. Either that or this city has a penchant for self-amusement in bringing us together all of the time when there are five other damned peaks he could roam about” she muttered to herself softly as the door opened to reveal, to her dissatisfaction, a woman of middling years with a child in tow. She watched them leave, letting her breath exit her chest after a few moments.

“Right, well, if I assume his appearances are contrived then I can assume he follows me – for whatever purpose and I doubt it is good. In that case he can pick out times when I am alone to strike! Markets are too crowded, tavern too secure and defendable not to mention the other patrons and not even my paranoia can say they are all a part of whatever this is. So, he’d need me isolated and with nowhere to run,” she whispered to herself as she tried to turn the puzzle over in her mind, picking out places where she would waylay someone and rejecting them on a logical basis, “unless it’s the bridges. All he would need is one person coming the other way whilst he followed me and he’d have me…trapped” she hissed, the thought of the event having possibly taken place without her suspicions being aroused scalding her very spirit.

So, he’d need at least one other willing to be put to the hazard but who? she thought, reigning herself in afterwards as she began to get carried away with herself. She had little evidence to speak of beyond all too regular chance meetings. It was not a sound foundation upon which to build a convincing theory as of yet. No, she would need to investigate and find more damning evidence before she could confront him without others punishing her.

“Laws, so trivial to these cities. I have no laws to live by” she muttered as the door flew open once again and she held her breath once more.

It was the man in question this time, his large form pausing for a few moments as he scanned the crowds around him in his search – for herself Zandelia presumed. She would usually be loitering in the plaza at this time had she not been in hiding. She took the time to take him in properly for the first time, rather than foolishly dismissing him. He was muscled and lither, though he looked more the scholar than the warrior. He held no weaponry but his clothing was enough for her to presume he was either rich or fairly well connected in the area. She knew too well that appearances could be deceiving and thus merely observed him as raw, factual data in so far as was possible. She could extrapolate perhaps, but such a pursuit was dangerous without evidence. Still, she fancied that she noted a step in his walk that spoke of some form of martial training that nothing else pointed to. His steps were a little too solid, not as carefree as others around him and more deliberately placed – a fighter used to footwork perhaps.

Sneaky bastards, everyone is. Let’s see what secrets you hold mystery ‘poet’ she told herself sarcastically as she watched him frown, shrug a little and walk away from her corner and towards the market proper.

She let him get a score of paces away before slinking around the corner and following in his wake.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zandelia on April 28th, 2012, 6:38 pm

As Zandelia followed, slowly and at a stroll hat kept her close to some form of cover, be it that of a group of people or one of the exquisitely carved artistic pieces dotted around the, she kept her predictable daily routine conjured within her mind – a list that she sought to see if she could cross out the individual places one by one. If it proved to be possible then her suspicions would be proven all the stronger, if not then she could get back to piecing her mind back together from the brink of possible boredom induced psychosis. As it was her stalking had merely begun, taking her through the crowds a comfortable distance behind the man as he entered the markets now, his head turning this way and that in his searching. She smiled at that, the only direction he had not looked was backwards and it amused her how ironic that seemed.

The predator becomes prey and doesn’t even know how to think like prey themselves she thought, his head finally making a pirouette to try and scan the surroundings behind him, his gaze meeting nothing of Zandelia as she knelt upon the floor as if she had dropped something, muttering un-intelligible words so as not to arouse much notice.

She waited a few moments before pushing herself back to her feet slowly, tentatively letting her gaze focus upon the last known position of her target. He was some paces further away now and she grunted to herself as she weaved her way through the throng once more, increasing her speed now so as to catch up to the man somewhat, stopping about thirty paces from him, stationary now and talking avidly to the stall holder she had grown to know a little in her residence. She knew not his name, only that he was jovially conversational and sold jewelry she could not afford but did like to look at and imagine. Zandelia frowned as she saw the first stops of her day crossed off of her mental list, slinking forwards as closely as she dared, hiding behind a small statue in her frantic bid to hear what they were saying – she just knew it would not be pleasant.

“Not seen her yet, must be busy with something else Hargal” she recognized the voice of the shopkeeper, deep and resonantly hypnotic in tone.

“What else is there for a young woman to do than gaze at such beautiful trinkets?!” the would-be philosopher-poet responded with a chuckle, she could imagine that sarcastic grin of his smear across his face like lamp oil creeping across stone.

So, his name is Hargal? Not much use but a name can be powerful sometimes. A least I have something to reference for the future. And they know each other? Interesting… she thought as their words filtered to her through the background noise, weak but audible enough to be credibly accurate.

“She’ll be around later, always is. You know as well as I. Why not buy her something for once? Might get you something lad!” the shopkeeper asked him, his tone seemingly exasperated now Zandelia thought, the beginnings of the first signs frustration she could remember of him.

“Not today Laefel, not today! Can’t do anything rash now, not when I don’t know the territory” Hargal responded lightly as Zandelia’s fists bunched and she grit her teeth to keep herself from striking the pair of them down then and there – she was sure now, so very sure. However, it would not be enough for any of the authorities, she was no longer in Sunberth, so she stayed as still as she could whilst rage ripped through her body.

“Be a man boy! Go on, if you’re not buying anything then go about your games. You know where to find me when you are ready. I got other customers to serve” Laefel, the shopkeeper’s name Zandelia knew now, dismissed Hargal from his stall.

I knew it, bastards! You know where to find me? Games? Get something? Seems as if this situation is dangerous indeed. What could he be wanting to woo me for? Why? What are these games? she asked herself, question after question flooding her mind as she tried to comprehend and mould the new data she had acquired into a semblance of cohesion.

“Still not enough though, mere words and suggestions of deeper currents beneath usual words. I need more, much more” she breathed under her breath as she batted the statue she stood behind with the side of her head a little.

She ran through her routine and knew that, should her current perceptions hold out, then Hargal would seek her out at the next stop. He had not seen her and would perhaps presume that she merely skipped the markets this day and made straight for the Shinyama part of Lhavit – she liked to spend some time watching them train as she plucked up the courage and the means to get a few lessons herself in the deadly arts. It was to the west of their current ‘platform’ and she peered around the statue cautiously to find that it was where Hargal was now making his mincing, meandering way.

Petch she thought as she plunged herself back into the protection of the crowds, in hot pursuit.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zandelia on April 28th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Ths Shinyama portion of the city was one which called to Zandelia strongly whenever she entered its domain, crossing the many bridges and getting a glimpse of the more spiritual nature of the denizens of Lhavit – or as far as she could recognize at any rate. Every one of the Shinya, she had heard them called, seemed to wear darker colors that mirrored the names of the major structures of their own platform. They were dangerous also, even their lower ranks she had seen, weapons seemingly as at home in their hands as if it were as natural as breathing. She had taken to watching for many hours now, trying to discern the methods they used for such seamless grace and power. She still had not come any closer, however for now it was a secondary consideration – she had other business to attend to.

If he holds true to form, and my considerations, Hargal will see I am not at the Shinyama Pavillion and continue swiftly onto the Temple of the Moon – another place I like to spend my time of late she thought to herself as she kept up her tailing of him, making sure that upon the bridges she was behind others and much further behind than when following in the streets. To be seen upon the bridges would have been impossible to stop otherwise, she had reasoned.

She tried to be as stealthy as she could in her tracking but she was beginning to conceive of the idea that Hargal knew she was following him and was merely playing along, stalling time until he found an opportunity to turn the table upon her for his own benefit. The growing levels of paranoia and trepidation pulsed through her, mixing and combining together into a compound far more dangerous to her – stressful madness. She kept to the crowds as he surveyed the pavilion proper, finding her nowhere in sight only due to a quick spot of hiding behind a shrub of medium size. She was beginning to get sloppy now in places as her mind played its trick upon her, assuring her of her fears. What made it all the worse was the fact that she could still discern no real motive for his tracking her beyond the sinister, a fact that made her wonder what would lay in store should she fail in her enterprise.

“So Hargal, why do you want me so much? There are prettier whores to be forced into service, more hardy slaves to be ensnared in your nets. What would you want of me!” she hissed to herself tersely as she slipped from behind the shrub and began the arduous task of trailing him towards the temple.

His stay there was longer than at the markets with the shopkeeper, taking the time to sit in his wanderings and rest a while. It frustrated her, merely making her all too aware that if he were aware of her own following he could be awaiting her to make an error of judgement and reveal herself. He talked to some of the other visitors, shaking hands and gesturing wildly as if telling a story. From her vantage point, hiding on the outskirts of the Shinyama Pavillion, she could neither near nor see him properly. Instead she busied herself with the analysis of what she had found. It was certain she was a target, that there were two involved if not more. She sorely wished she knew what he was discussing with the others as it could have shed light upon other associates of his, but she knew of no way to approach without being seen. She grit her teeth and played with the hilts of her tonfa, wrapped within her thoughts, so much so that she startled as a man tried to hail her – dark purple robes billowing around him.

“Get away from me!” she barked as she whirled around, seeing only an enemy as she breathed hard and her gaze narrowed darkly.

It was then that she knew her cover was blown, the ripples of surprise and affront snaking out from the incident and making their inevitable way through the rumor and gossip mill. It was only a matter of time before Hargal would know she had been there, that she had made a mistake and that she knew what he planned perhaps also. She cursed her ineptitude and made her way back towards the bridge as swiftly as she dared. She pushed her way across, forging a path though with strength lent by desperation. She muttered to herself as she went, gaining further looks of puzzlement as she made her way back into the Zintia part of the city – inevitably finding herself sat back in The Shooting Star Inn, a cup of tea before her to calm her rapidly unraveling nerves.

Petchpetchpetchpetch…PETCH! she berated herself as she knew that the only way out now was to act fast, decisively and to figure out the machinations at play enough to evade them.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zandelia on April 28th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Zandelia’s hands shook slightly as she held her cup and saucer, intermittently bringing both up to her lips to imbibe what she had been told was a calming brew. Whether the effects were taking root or her own shreds of sanity were beginning to fight back she would never know, however she had managed to drag herself back towards a semblance of self-control. She still had an ashen hue about her skin, paler than usual due to the shock and stress revelations of the day so far, however now that the shadows were beginning to grow outside she was feeling a little better. She had fought her breathing back to its normal rate, felt her heartbeat slow do only a slightly accelerated beat now and could feel the fragments of consciousness reassert themselves enough to begin to plan.

And oh how I bloody well need one now. Revealing myself? When I had the advantage! For nothing! Stupid! she growled to herself internally as she vowed to never let foolishness ruin an endeavor in the future.

“Think now, come on. There isn’t much time left to do so, use it well” she tried to push herself into some form of intellectual miracle with words alone, hollow encouragement to even the truly naïve, and she was far from it.

She tried to fit the pieces together in her frayed mental state, groping half-blind towards a tentative conclusion. Two men knew her well, well enough to predict her movements to be sure. One followed her and the other worked a stall for expensive goods. Where was the connection? They were friendly enough to each other, talking easily as if they had done so for many years. They had enough smarts between them to do well enough in partnership of anything – one with wily bartering and the other with stealthy and insidious words of charming nature. A talker and a merchant, what could they be up to? There were no guild of thieves here that she had noticed, few needs for weaponry and mercenary grunt work. They could not seek her employment or service, they knew nothing about her beyond her habits. There was no slavery here either, that she had seen – the city was as close to perfect as she had ever seen.

Perfect? Nothing is perfect. It only seems perfect on the outside, whilst underneath it is usually rotten and morbid. So…what lies beneath? Is there slavery after all? In the deep watches of the night as revelers took to the street are there silent and obedient workers maintaining the status quo? she mused to herself slowly, turning over the idea and finding the assumption to have merit.

To her mind, if it did exist in well covered up secrecy, then she might make a worthy candidate. She was a traveler alone, not like to be missed as there were none to search for her. If there were they were a good time in the future, by which time she might even be dead and so un-findable in a very fundamental way. She had been a slave before, she was pretty enough to work carnal magic in the grubby backstreet, though those were finer in Lhavit than Sunberth. It was then that her anger came to the fore, surging through her wildly in response to returning to such a life of sexual servitude. She would refuse it, would rather die first than let another man touch her without permission. Her gaze took in the light filtering through the windows, illuminating the dancing particles of dust n the air. She made her decision and knew that, if Hargal still tried to find her, he would be at the market once more.

“Fine, let us tip the scales and deal with the problem. I could be out of the city in a matter of hours at any rate if it goes sour” she muttered as she all but staked to the door and pushed her way through it.

She marched towards the stall of the merchant named Laefel, ignoring the crowd now and seeing no point in stealth with what she was about to commit. She saw the two of them together in conversation and loomed up behind them. It was a simple matter to tap Hargal upon the shoulder, wait for him to turn and then grab him by the throat with her left hand, her right grasping for the handle of her tonfa as se brought out its dulled metal shaft and raised it towards the man’s head point first. He squawked as she fixed her grasp upon him firmly, murder in her eye and fingers half-blocking his airways. He struggled and she squeezed that much harder until he stopped and looked back at her, fear in his eyes now.

“Why are you following me!” she demanded of him, voice dark and filled with barely repressed rage.

“Easy girl, you’ve got the wrong-“ Laefel piped up after the tableaux had frozen for a few moments, arms stretched t in a calming gesture.

“Shut up! I know what you are up to! Just shut up!” she growled at him, her voice raising in volume now, “I asked you, why are you following me?!” she turned her attention back to Hargal now.

“I-“ he began.

“Speak up! I’d sooner kill you than talk to you!” she half-shouted now, drawing the attention of more than a few nearby shoppers as the market around them began to grind to a halt.

“”I wanted to ask you to dinner!” Hargal managed to squeeze out in a terrified voice.

That was when her carefully constructed premise shattered for the first time, pieces flying through her mind and stinging her as disbelief flooded her system and caused her to drop her right hand to her side, tonfa now disarmed and falling to the floor. She could not believe it, her mind bucking wildly against such a foolish idea. Still, she noted how urine now stained Hargal’s trousers and proved him to be the dandy fop he appeared rather than the cunning rogue. She looked at Leafel for a few moments as he nodded at her, her gaze took in the silent crowd as her left hand fell to her side, limp now and numbed. Hargal took the opportunity to run for freedom, trailing dampness as the crowd parted in laughter at the apparent street show that they had been treated to.

“Dinner? What? But…he was following me!” she whispered, her words only reaching Leafel now as she chuckled to himself and finally had the nerve to approach her, laying a gentle hand upon her shoulder.

“Not the brightest or most courageous boy lass, but his heart was good. I told him though, lass like you wouldn’t take kindly if she found out. Did he listen?” he grinned at her as he stooped to pick up her tonfa and placed it back into her hand. “Told him he’d be better buying a shield and giving you a necklace. Come, help me close the stall and I’ll tell you all about it girl” Leafel finished as her mind tried to comprehend the events that had unfolded.

“Dinner? Some intelligencer I am” she breathed as her face grew a rare smothering of deep crimson and she tried to set herself about helping the man she had just needlessly insulted.

She would need a good drink, or ten, after this.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Legion on April 28th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Thread Award

Zandelia
Intelligence +5, Investigation +3, Stealth +3, Observation +4, Intimidation +1, Tactics +1, Strategy +1
Layout of Lhavit, Location: Surya Plaza, Location: The Shooting Star Inn, Intelligence: Flawed Data, Intelligence: Observational Techniques, Intelligence: Data Assimilation Failure

Consequence & Commentary
This was a well crafted intelligence training thread. The key points to be hitting at this level are attempts to collect, assimilate and utilize data but ultimately fail in part with conclusions. More of this with displays of progression and attempts at staging planned occurrences will advance you to a point of being capable of beginning the cloak and dagger games of counter-intelligence.

Finally, it was a thoroughly entertaining read. Thank you for it. As ever, feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Legion

Denval Forum | Denval News | Denval Lore
Lhavit Forum | Lhavit News | Lhavit Lore

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Legion
Boom, backflip.

Words: 114213
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)