Yvera's Fortune

The Nuit and the Girl

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Yvera's Fortune

Postby Anselm on May 8th, 2012, 1:34 am

Yvera's Fortune
84 Spring
Marketplace in Zeltiva

OOC :
Continued from The Seer of Zeltiva

“No,” said Anselm curtly in a low, gravelly voice. “I do not want to give you a tip for your story.” He had listened to her story. Not that she gave him much choice. About half way through he had decided she was making it up. He had to admit that she was doing a pretty good job of it, but he certainly wasn't going to pay her for it.

He peered out at her from beneath the hood that covered his head and cast a shadow across his face, mostly hiding his features. She was short and slender but looked to be healthy. Black hair hung loosely to her shoulders and revealed violet highlights whenever she moved her head. Her eyes seemed to fluctuate between various shades of blue, sometimes becoming so deep as to be almost black. And she was young.

“You be far out of the house, little thing … ah, one,” he said in halting Vani. “I guess where the momma and the papa be near?”

The last thing he needed was a stray girl hiding in his tent. That could get him in a great deal of trouble. He switched back to Common.

“Perhaps you should go home. These are bad times for a girl to wandering around alone.”
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Yvera's Fortune

Postby Yvera on May 9th, 2012, 12:42 am

Yvera tilted her head at the old man. His Vani was far from perfect but she assumed that he was asking her where her parents where. She wasn't so sure how this whole "fortune telling" thing went, but she was pretty sure that that was what he was supposed to tell her. Unless, you know, he wanted to pay her the five silver mizas. In which case, she would be happy to oblige. And about going home... Well, technically she could go back to the Satevis' dormitory, but...

"Well... I could go home." she said, putting her finger to her chin thoughtfully. "You see, Tevy gave me this key because he would be out today, but while I was by the port, this HUGE fish jumped out from the ocean and took the key from my hand. With his mighty jaws, he swallowed the key whole! I'm glad I brought my hand away in time or else he might have swallowed that too! Though, I wouldn't be surprised if the fish turned up as dinner tonight. Things like that happen, you know."

In short, what she was trying to say was that she forgot the key at home next to the sink.

"Anyway, I don't think I'll leave before I get my fortune told anyway." she said as she tapped the money that was on the table.
Yvera
Player

Words: 16645
Joined roleplay: May 4th, 2012, 7:29 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Yvera's Fortune

Postby Anselm on May 9th, 2012, 1:46 am

The girl seemed irreverent and flighty. Anselm did not have much patience for either. Had he been able, he would have sighed. Apparently I am not going to be so easily rid of her, he thought.

“Very well,” he said. “I will tell you your fortune.”

He reached into a pocket sewn to the inside of his cloak and pulled out a small cloth bag that was tied closed with a leather cord. He set it on the table in front of himself and fixed his cold, dead eyes on the girl.

“Do you have a question?" He asked. "It is not strictly required, but answers often make more sense when given in response to questions.”

OOC :
Apologies for the short post. Long day at work. Tired. Total lack of creativity.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Yvera's Fortune

Postby Yvera on May 10th, 2012, 1:24 am

Yvera sat down at the table and propped her chin up on her hands. Hmm... A question. Well, there were a lot of questions she had. Things like, "What's above the clouds?" or "What do little fish eat if the big fish eat the little fish and the bigger fish eat the big fish?"

Or maybe even, "Is this a trick question?"

Yvera always had questions! Although... there was one question that has been in the back of her mind ever since the start of spring...

"What happened to my family?" she asked him.

She had been searching for them ever since she got to Zeltiva. She understood that her stay with Satevis was only temporary and that she would eventually need to either find her family, or go back to Avanthal. She had asked around the docks but no one had seen anyone that even resembles her family. Maybe this fortune teller would be able to give her a clue...
Yvera
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Yvera's Fortune

Postby Anselm on May 11th, 2012, 1:29 am

Oh great, he thought. An orphan. This just gets better and better. On the other hand, she seemed to be doing remarkably well for a girl who had apparently gotten separate from her parents and was mostly likely entirely on her own now.

“My dear,” he said. “If you want to find your parents, you would be better advised to consult with the local constabulary or a private investigator. All I can offer is your fortune, which might help you find yourself but probably not your parents. However, finding yourself might also be useful. Shall we find out?”

He carefully untied the small sack and poured the contents into his right hand, which he held out so that the girl could see what he had. What he had was eighteen tiny bones covered with intricate designs. Anselm always wore thin cloth gloves so that his customers wouldn't have to come into contact with his cold, dead skin. He reached out with his left hand and placed two fingers on the back of the girl's right hand. Then he turned his right hand over, allowing the bones to fall on to the table with a clatter. He studied the pattern formed by the thrown bones.

Water above, danger. Mountain below, stopping.
Stopping in the midst of danger, it is therefore called trouble.

The last phrase elicited an emotional quiver from the girl's aura. It was not an auspicious oracle under the circumstances. Anselm was quiet for a long time as he considered the several teachings of his master that were associated with it. “There is a teaching associated with this oracle. I do not know if it will be helpful to you or not. But that is not mine to judge.”

“When weak and alone, without strength, one is basically in danger; to try to force one's way out of danger would lead to trouble. It is lucky if one can restrain oneself and seek the guidance of others, not being ashamed to ask questions, coming to form associations with people imbued with wisdom, to broaden one's knowledge and vision. This is being weak but borrowing strength to solve trouble.”

He gathered up the bones and put them back into their bag, which he returned to a pocket sewn inside his cloak. He retrieved the five silver mizas from her side of the table, folded his hands together on the table in front of himself and stared at her. “You are alone and in trouble. I suggest you find a friend if you can, although they can be difficult to come by.”

OOC :
The 'oracle' comes from the I Ching or Book of Changes, an ancient Taoist text. See bibliography.
Last edited by Anselm on June 16th, 2012, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Yvera's Fortune

Postby Yvera on May 11th, 2012, 4:14 am

Trouble. Trouble didn't often mean something good so when it was mentioned, Yvera frowned. She would prefer to have nothing to do with trouble. She listened as Anselm explained to her what the reading meant and smiled. What he said made sense. Only other people can help her with her trouble and that's basically what had happened. Perhaps, that is what will still happen.

Perhaps she should take his advice and ask for help with her search. Yvera sighed as she thought about it. It would take a lot before she swallowed her pride that much. She's already swallowed once this past week. And this thought brought a different thought to her mind.

"I already have a friend!" she said proudly. "Tevy! He's helped me out a lot!" It was true, though. Satevis had helped her out a lot since she met him. In fact, he had started helping her out the minute he met her and she would be forever grateful.
Yvera
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Yvera's Fortune

Postby Anselm on May 11th, 2012, 2:29 pm

OOC :
Nicely done, Yvera. This seems like a good place to end the thread. Our two characters have gotten to know each other a bit. Perhaps they will have occasion to meet again. I will submit this for grading. I would expect you to get some XP for storytelling at the very least.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Yvera's Fortune

Postby Echelon on May 13th, 2012, 1:42 am

Adventurer's Loot

A Gift
Experience is its own reward.
Yvera's Loot :
Yvera Snowsong

Skill XP Reward
torytelling +1XP

Lore:
Anselm: Fortune Teller

Items or Consequences:
-5sm

Notes: Your posts really must be more detailed. You stayed in character, and felt that I had a good grasp on how your character expressed herself. However, I believe you as a narrator could speak more about why she does what she does, what she feels, and how she moves about. Including what she sees feels, and generally senses in her environment. All of these things will win you more experience and lores in the future.

Anselm's Loot :
Anselm

Skill XP Reward
Fortune Telling +2XP
Auristics +1XP

Lore:
Yvera: Orphan

Items or Consequences:
Payment

Notes: I know it's hard when left with little input to give detailed posts of your own, though it is still your responsibility to be a good role model and show her the quality of posts demanded in Zeltiva. This thread was fine, but I've seen you write better.

If you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, please PM me.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook