'Tis Darkest Before Dawn

[Nashira]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

'Tis Darkest Before Dawn

Postby Sela on December 27th, 2011, 12:15 am

Timestamp: 31st Winter 511 A.V. -- after dusk

Many a tale had been spun to the youth of the world from their parents that spoke of the undead. Many a tale had passed over that sacred storytelling place of the bedside that included the detail of such disgusting, unnatural enemies. Such undead were always vile, merciless creatures that were missing half of their flesh and prowled in the dark, who nonetheless always emerged to threaten the hero of the tale. "No!" the child would cry, little pudgy fists tightly wrapped around their bedsheets in fright for their imagined friend's fate. In the good tales, the hero would always triumph. They would rout the undead soundly, send them back to the darkness from whence they came and all that other nonsense. In the darker stories however, such was not always the case.

In such tales, after detailing how the undead ate the face of the would-be protagonist, the parent would thereafter lower their voice and say, "And be sure you don't do so-and-so, or the Nuits will come after you."

And thus UIdr's blessed were reduced to discouragement tools for parents. Something to threaten the unruly youngster, something to whip him into shape while the truth was, they were so much more - especially in the case of the Nuits. The average Nuit would never devour ones face, and it was rare indeed to see one creeping in the dark.

Which made it all the more ironic Sela found herself crouched in that dark alleyway after nightfall like all the stories she had heard of the Nuit that did exactly the same thing. Back then, when she'd heard the stories as a child, she'd never once had thought that she would have joined the undead ranks.

Her chest did not heave, her breath didn't come fast, but Sela was obviously startled. And, although she wouldn't admit it, she might have even been scared. he shock of a hand coming to grip hers in the middle of the night was still all to fresh. The hand might have been from a friend, but Sela wasn't about to take that chance. Long-ingrained instincts had sent her running as fast as her sluggish Nuit body would take her.

What came next was not a continuous thread of memory but rather disparate, enclosed events, snapshots taken by an overworked mind. The house she had rounded. The bush she had crashed through. Her mind only began functioning properly again when she had reached - her.

Sela took a deep (and unneeded) breath. Calm down! her mind told her body, as cross as the body was nervy. That could have been anyone. We didn't need to react like that!

Her body meekly acquiesced, the jittery nerves all across her borrowed body beginning to calm down. When the footstep sounded on the other side of the alley, however, it erupted into anxiety once more, much to Sela's annoyance.

"What now?!" she muttered angrily, grabbing her right hand with her left to keep it from shaking. She turned slightly, the better to see the other side of the alley while keeping the one closer to her still in view. "Who's there?" she called out. Despite her attempt to make her voice sound resounding and confident, it came out sounding forced and scared. Sela silently cursed.

This is just getting better and better! she thought even as she waited for whoever was coming to get closer.
Sela
Perfectly Imperfect

Words: 26232
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

'Tis Darkest Before Dawn

Postby Nashira on December 27th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Nashira's green eyes settled upon Sela's own. They were dark brown, beneath which, a ring of purple seemed to settle. Or at least, that was the color they appeared to glow in the light of the moon. Dark hair framed the woman's face, much as Shira's framed her own. She strode forward silently, her hips rocking delicately with each of her steps. The point of Caleb's old sword tapping against the side of her leg as she moved herself into the light, so that Sela may see who she was. Her green eyes. Her height, coupled with her muscle. An imposing figure, to meet in the night.

"It's only me. Nashira," the Ethaefal called to the frightened nuit. Her muscles glowing in the light of the moon as they rippled beneath her caramel colored flesh. "You seem to be frightened. You shouldn't be," she added, her words laced with hypnotic djed, which wound itself around each individual syllable, as they glided across the air, and towards Sela. Calm down, the djed insisted, as Shira forced her eyes to remain upon the nuit's, as she willed herself even closer. To help tighten the hold she was hoping to produce within the woman's mind. She was hoping her djed wove around it, encasing the mind in a cleanly woven cocoon, which would serve only to help her, and Nashira's own plans. "You have nothing to fear. No one will slink out of the shadows and end your life this night."

Nashira's green eyes sparkled as her right hand found the top of her sword's hilt. It rested across the top, her fingers cascading over the edge, dangling uselessly in the air. The cool nature of the metal sunk into her skin, sending tiny tremors of cold air up the length of her spine. "Do you see now, that you have nothing to fear stranger?" Nashira asked. "Do you understand that you have no reason to run?" The Ethaefal paused a moment, waiting for an answer, one she could only hope the nuit would supply her with. "So then, what is it that has you so afraid? Was it the sound of the distant winds? Or perhaps a shadow cast by the light of Leth's moon? Or even, something else entirely?"

OOCJust in case it's unclear, anything in italics is laced with hypnotic djed. Some it of it however, is not spoken, so please be mindful in your reply.
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Words: 145229
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2011, 12:07 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

'Tis Darkest Before Dawn

Postby Sela on January 2nd, 2012, 10:13 pm

"It was a hand on my shoulder. Your hand?" she guessed. Her body felt limp, a pleasant buzz existing where once uncomfortable nerves had been reacting. Calm. Somehow the words this...Nashira...spoke, were relaxing her. Making her feel...serene.

"Yes, I see what you mean..." Sela replied unconsciously, her mouth moving even though she did not command it. "I see that I have nothing to fear." She smiled at her newfound friend, feeling as though she could trust this woman.

Wait, what?

Sela's eyelids fluttered open and she directed a sharp glance at the other woman. A second passed and she was looking into the ether, sharp traces of auric energy overlaying the images of her night eye. Some were cold, the byproducts of men and women who had recently past by. Old feelings and emotions...but Sela was looking for a different type of aura. The aura of magic, specifically one that surrounded her sudden companion.

The nuit took a harsh, ragged breath (still unneeded, but old habits die hard) and stood up straight. She allowed her magical sight to fade, settling down under the surface of the sooty alleyway. "Stop trying to Hypnotize me, woman," she spat, "I can see your magic as bright as day."

"Perhaps it is you I should be afraid of, hm?"
Sela
Perfectly Imperfect

Character sheet

'Tis Darkest Before Dawn

Postby Nashira on January 3rd, 2012, 5:55 pm

Nashira shook her head lightly, causing her hair to dance across her face. "It was someone else's, considering I have only just come this way and happened upon you," Nashira responded. "Unless it was the wind, or perhaps even, your own, tired mind playing tricks upon you." The Ethaefal's eyes sparkled as they ran up and down the length of Sela's form. She seemed so slight, and unimposing. So very dead, that she wondered why the nuit bothered to walk around at all. Surely, it couldn't be long before Dira caught up with her. Took her in with open arms.

Quit asking so many questions, the magic insisted, as Nashira grew to find the nuit's nature all the more frustrating. She spoke, and spoke, and spoke, and never left time for anyone else to say anything. Not only that, but she was hopefully caught up in herself. Nashira wasn't sure why. It wasn't as though she were all that interesting, or attractive. What could anyone want to do with a nuit? Except perhaps, convince them to teach them something, say the magic they supposedly kept so close to the chest?

Prying is irritating, it added, as Nashira's brow furrowed at the nuit's sudden change in behavior. "Clear as day?" she asked, her tone denoting innocence in the way it glided out of her lips. The smooth nature of the words. The low, open tone. "Just what do you think you're seeing love?" Nashira asked. "It's dark as night. No one can see clearly now." The Ethaefal paused a moment, as she appraised the nuit. She seemed like a tense animal, all coiled up. Knowing it was only a matter of time before its huntress pounced. Knowing it was only a matter of time before it died.

"Are you sure you're not simply too tired to know what it is your eyes meet?" Nashira asked, as she risked a half a step closer. "Are you sure your mind knows how to process what is going on about it? Accurately, of course?" Nashira paused a moment, "for nothing here is trying to claim you now."

For the last time... For real...
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

'Tis Darkest Before Dawn

Postby Sela on January 13th, 2012, 1:22 am

Sela eyed the woman with growing disdain. Really! Any two-cent Hypnotist would have been able to see the naked dagger, glittering in the moonlight, that slipped from her sleeve into her hand. And then had the good sense to know it was time to leave off on the magic then and there. But it seemed not this silly girl. She kept trying and trying...

To be fair, her words did have an effect. Sela could feel the calming aura the woman was trying to force on her, settling her limbs and causing her eyelids to flutter. Her Auristics dimmed, the colorful sight giving way to the drab of the mortal world and the mortal coil. The only defense Sela had to such magic was the knowledge it was being worked. But Hypnotism was most effective when it was being acted upon unwitting victims, of which Sela was not. Hopefully that was enough.

"Maybe if you stopped trying to Hypnotize me, woman," she called out desperately, raising the curved kris in her hand into the woman's view. Maybe that would change things?...

"...Then I'd be more willing to talk!" she finished, her voice raising in a crescendo at the end in what was seemingly an attempt to attract attention. Sela wanted nothing of the sort, of course. But maybe the woman would leave off if she thought it would quiet Sela down.

And then this infernal woman had the gall to step closer to her. For a moment, Sela couldn't believe her eyes for a moment. Her frown grew even more impressed on her face.

"Bitch." she swore violently, taking a step back. "Come any closer, and the next thing your mind will process is the sight of your own blood."
Sela
Perfectly Imperfect

Character sheet

'Tis Darkest Before Dawn

Postby Nashira on January 15th, 2012, 1:41 am

Nashira sighed impatiently. "I was only trying to calm you, as I am sure you could tell before you began your little rant there," the Ethaefal said simply as she ran her hand through her hair. She wondered how old the nuit was, and why she seemed so unwilling to trust her. Sure, she knew that some hypnotists could be a shady sort, but in this case, she had only been trying to help the woman, and was in no mood to be criticized or even attacked for it.

As Nashira pulled her hand through her hair, tugging apart a few of the knots, she simply appraised the nuit. Studying her with her eyes as she began to tousle it, and then pull her hand away, allowing it to melt across the uppermost portion of her sword's hilt. The touch reminded her of Caleb, brought memories flooding into the forefront of her mind, but she pushed them away. She had no time to stroll down that path at the time being.

"No need for names nuit," Nashira growled unpleasantly as her fingertips drummed along her sword's hilt. "Nor is there any need to threaten me with the sight of such a pitiful blade, wielded by such an unsteady arm." The Ethaefal's eyes sparkled as a small smile spread across her lips. "Do you really think you can handle yourself against a Myrian?" Nashira asked. "When your very flesh seems to peel away from your innards, and your body stinks of rot? A simple cut, enough to make you shred?"

The Ethaefal chuckled. "You wouldn't want to have to go searching for a new, unwilling host, would you love?" Nashira asked, as she let her hand sink, following the length of the hilt, until her fingers could wrap themselves around it. Slowly, she inched the blade out, allowing it to sparkle in the moonlight. Even though more than half of it still rested in its bed, Nashira was sure that the gesture would be enough to make the nuit think twice about crossing blades with her.
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

'Tis Darkest Before Dawn

Postby Sela on February 14th, 2012, 11:01 pm

A dainty eyebrow fell suspiciously across a cold grey forehead. "You got a funny way of 'trying to calm me down', woman. You could have done it without trying to hypnotize me. Magic only makes things worse. I thought even a second-rate Hypnotist such as yourself would realize that they were to only use magic in the situations that require it."

Sela seemed unfazed by the blade Nashira wielded, thought the tip of the glimmering kris, which had as a matter of fact not been as unsteady as the Ethaefal had implied, dropped a little. "You arrogant Myrians..." Sela said, though her voice seemed tired more than angry. "...So sure of yourself. Always charging into situations you don't understand. I bet your death will come as a great surprise to you."

"But I didn't come here to fight you. I only drew my own blade because I saw you as trying to maliciously attack with magic, something I will not - cannot - stand for. This is your doing, love," she spat, "Not mine."

"Now, go away. Leave me to my peace. Or, what I have left." she amended.
Sela
Perfectly Imperfect

Character sheet

'Tis Darkest Before Dawn

Postby Nashira on February 15th, 2012, 9:25 pm

"Oh, and nuits are better than us then?" Shira inquired, her voice dripping with disdain, as she continued to tug on her sword. Slowly, drawing it out of the scabbard. Its soft, metallic ring filled the night, as it glowed warmly alongside the moon. Basking in its glory, as she forced her other hand onto it, and held it in a defensive position, ahead of her. "Stealing the bodies of the defenseless. Depending on the dark arts. The more taboo areas of the magical realm." Shira ran her tongue over the roof of her mouth, producing several short, choppy, irritated clicking noises. "Trust me Myrian, Dira shall not sneak up on me. Not this night," she growled, as her fists tightened around the blade's hilt.

Nashira's fingers flexed. Her muscles rippling angrily beneath them as they pulsed alongside her heart, whose pace was gradually quickening. Thumping within the confines of her chest. Beating like a drum. "Do you realize how stupid you sound?" Shira asked. "For if you truly bothered to listen, to study yourself, as your kind are so often known for doing, then you would come to realize that you have instigated this. That you are the one who took offense to my trying to help your sorry, withering behind. That you are the one quick to judge. Quick to hate. For being inhuman has so long has made your heart as cold as the weather in Avanthal. It has turned your heart to stone."

"Not that it matters to me, but you have brought this upon yourself," Shira hissed, as she pushed her feet a little farther apart. Swiftly, her magic came forward reaching for the nuit. "Now you will face the consequences of your actions. You shall fight, and you shall fail for insulting me."

Defend yourself, the magic whispered, as the Myrian stepped forward, bringing her sword to the right side of her body, before sweeping it back in, towards Sela's weapon, in an attempt to knock it to the side before she brought Caleb's old sword back up, over her head, and then crashing back down, towards the nuit's left shoulder. Trying to rid her of a limb. Or die for real. As you should have done so long ago. All those moons ago...
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

'Tis Darkest Before Dawn

Postby Tabarnac on May 20th, 2012, 9:20 pm

XP Award!

Nashira
XP Award: Hypnosis +2; Intimidation +1

Additional Notes:
If Sela returns, I can award XP for that character.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Keep writing!
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)